I need feedback on the Nikkor 600mm AF-S ED f/4 'D' version

<p><a name="d"></a><strong>"D<br />Distance information<br /></strong>D-type and G-type NIKKOR lenses relay subject-to-camera distance information to AF Nikon camera bodies. This then makes possible advances like 3D Matrix Metering and 3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash.<br />Note: D-type and G-type NIKKOR lenses provide distance information to the following cameras: Auto exposure; F6, F5, F100, F90X, F80, F75, F70, F65, F60, F55, F50, PRONEA S, PRONEA 600i, D2 series, D1 series, D100 and D70s/D70.<br />Flash control; F6, F5, F100, F90X, F80, F75, F70, D2 series, D1 series, D100 and D70s/D70."<br>

The above was copied from: <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/glossary.htm#d">http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/glossary.htm#d</a><br>

Difficult to go wrong with the lens, unless it is out of calibration. Had one that was never<br>

dropped, but failed to go to focus limits after five years. Successful Nikon repair; great lens the<br>

last few years.<br>

Gabe</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Shot with it a few times. Nice for birds for sure - stunning closeups. But it's big and heavy and, in my limited experience with it, not the easiest for tracking birds in flight. Hwvr, I have seen people do it successfully.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Lil.... I did some opinion gathering when looking for a supertele. My budget kept me in pre-VR lenses. My conclusion was that the 600mm f/4 had a little extra reach, but the 500mm f/4 was clearly sharper. I also felt the shots I saw with a TC-14E were still stunning with the 500, but were just starting to fall apart with the 600. Quality wise, I do feel the 500+TC14 at f/8 equals the 500 alone at f/4 - it needs that extra stop down from the 700mm f/5.6 minimum for "stunning". I ended up with a 500mm AF-S II, so that's where my 600mm help ends.</p>

<p>Thanks Joe - if I can locate a 500 f/4 than that's actually my prefered way to go - but so far I've not been able to.<br>

Hi Shun - I knew you'd say that & trust me - - I've been looking for a 500 f/4 but not located one. It's chick season & time is of the essence.....<br>

I'm renting a 600 f/4 over the weekend. That should help determine if it's worth it or not.<br>

Lil :)</p>

<p>Dieter,<br>

chicks as in little or often tiny bird young ones. ;-) As in<br>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick second meaning. ;-)<br>

Sigmonster was suddenly unreliable in focus & would simply not focus for 10 shots + even though the camera beeped as focus set. Then Sigmonster would yet again focus & then drop it. I normally have pretty much every shot in focus unless I mess up. Suddenly nothing was in focus. So it's gone in to Sigma for a check over......<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As in<a rel="nofollow" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick" target="_blank"> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick</a> second meaning. ;-)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>first heading to be precise - not the third one :-)<br>

Sigmonster - hope it can be fixed, sounds weird. Assume you had tried cleaning the contacts?<br>

Sorry, can't help on the 600 - not that I wouldn't mind owning one myself...</p>

<p>I had same issue to choose between 500mm and 600mm, From Nikon MTF chart (attached), the 500mmm is better at FX, for the DX (APS-C) I think they are about same (see the red line at the chart).<br /> <br /> For the TC14, in my memory it should be 10% degrading, but it should say “10% at noon, 40% at morning”.<br /> <br /> Right now it is CHICK season, I leave home at 3:30AM every weekend morning, when I arrive at CHICK location (Smith Oak Rookery at High Island) 30 minutes before the sunrise, and the TC14 is useless.<br /> <br /> But the 600mm has big boost to my photos</p><div>00Td91-143269584.thumb.jpg.a5dbe02dbd18248021013df7109dd1b4.jpg</div>

<p><strong>Dieter</strong> -<br>

Glad we know which "chick" I mean. :-)<br>

I tired cleaning the contacts several times. Noticed the problem get worse so I got fed up. If all goes well I'll hear back from them tomorrow or early next week. Calling gave me no information - - I tried today.<br>

Did not expect to be dealing with this again after 1 1/2 year...... :-(<br>

<strong>Chuanxiao Li </strong> -<br>

Probably to be used mostly on DX for reach. Can not ever have enough reach it would seem.... TCs always degrade a tad.<br>

Good luck in your hunt for chicks. Until longer lens in my hands again I don't even want to think about it.<br>

Thank you both<br>

<p>OK I'm not too sure people will see this or not. But....<br>

I just called Sigma in regards to my Sigmonster & found out that they've already repaired the Sigmonster 300-800mm f/5.6 & it will be on it's way back to me either today or tomorrow. now it does mean I have to rent a lens for this coming weekend as well, but that's OK.<br>

Turns out some boards of some kind had gone bad & they've simply replaced them. Now the surprise is - - No charge. :-D<br>

I guess the fact that there are so few Sigmonsters out there means one gets service fast there. :-D No complaints from me.<br>

So - this means I will take my time. I need to go through my shots from this last weekend with the rented 600mm AF-S II f/4 & look at them very closely. I was kind of set on finding a 500mm f/4 AF-S II to go with the Sigmonster & 300mm AF-S f/4 - - now I will take my time.<br>

But some initial observations in regards to the 600mm f/4 AF-S II...<br>

1, the viewfinder felt brighter since it's an f/4 - - it just felt a lot brighter & "cleaner".<br>

2, It's much harder to locate ones subject with a 600mm prime. :-D I so love zooms. :-)<br>

3, the shots are coming out "cleaner" out of the camera - much less noise. I'm using very little noise reduction on the 600mm files than those of the Sigmonster. But that could be that I've been gradually using more & more due to potentially the problem growing within the lens. It will be interesting to see what my reactions when it comes back.<br>

4, I'm not all that sure the 600mm AF-S II is all that much sharper than the Sigmonster. Actually - I'm not sure it's sharper at all. Again - more testing needed & I will rent the 600 this coming weekend as well.<br>

5, it weighs less than the Sigmonster & would be far easier to travel with - though I believe a 500mm would make that even easier.<br>

Just some initial reflections on the issue.<br>

<p><strong>Chuanxiao</strong> - so far I'm not sure I think the 600mm is better even on it's own. I will know better after a second weekend with it. At this point the verdict is still out. I seem to be using about the same amount of sharpening in both.<br>

Sigmonster is sharp normally - as most photos in my galleries will attest.</p>

<p>I have both the 500 and the 600 VR. The 600 has more reach and is great from the car or nearby. The 500 is better when you are with other people or doing a fair amount of walking. I think it is better to go without the tele extenders and rely on cropping to get closer to the birds. I generally shoot with the D300 unless it is very dark, in which case I switch to the D700 because it is far better at high ISOs. </p>