I need a low-noise P&S camera

I'm looking for a Canon(or any other brand) camera with these qualifications:

pocket-sized, at least 6X ( more) optical zoom, usable at ISO800, nice LCD. I

currently have a Panasonic FZ1 that does a great job except in the low-noise

department even around ISO200. I need this camera to do an OK job for

grandkids school programs, which are often on stage. And I'm seldom in the first

few rows. I do have a DSLR, but feel out of place using it under these

circumstances. I'm open to all comments. Thanks

Low noise comes from large sensors and large receptor sites.

P&S sensors are 5x7 mm. DSLR sensors are 14x24 and larger, about 6 times the area or more.

Now you get into the pixel packing advertising war. The more MP you put on a given size sensor, the smaller they need to be. The smaller the less light sensitive they are and the more electronic amplification is required, hence more noise.

Just advertising more MP is easier than explaining all this, so the pixel packing continues by manufactures. They should be limited to 3 or 4 MP.

I have friends with older P&S with 3/4 MP that take better pics than his new 10 MP P&S.

You have two choices. Buy a DSLR or use no more than 100 iso on a P&S.

Robert already has a dslr, accdg to his opening post.

My suggestion: have a look at the Canon G9 (6x zoom w/ raw) and the Canon S5 (12x zoom w/ articulating lcd, but no raw unless you go to 3rd party download).

How "usable" any of the small sensor cameras are at 800 iso is the big question. You'll see noise, no doubt about it, and in the shadow areas that noise will be prominent. How much it bothers you depends upon your own tolerance for noise.

Your DSLR may be the camera that's best for the job. You can be pretty stealthy

with one if you switch off the flash, focus assist beam, and turn off all audio

including the beeps and fake shutter sounds.

I"m impressed with some of the sample photos I've seen taken with Sigma's DP-1,

but this is an $800 camera with fixed wideangle lens. Max ISO is 800, and it

apparently works very well there.

The six megapixel Fujis including the S6000/S6500, F20, F30, F31 and F40 would

do what you want. Most are discontinued, but it may still be possible to find old

stock. The newer 12 megapixel F50 can't match their low-light performance. S6000

seems to be available, but it's a "bridge" camera which looks like a pint-sized SLR.

[[The current state of semiconductor engineering and the law of physics both say that "pocket-sized" and "usable at ISO800" are mutually exclusive as explained in the above post.]]

The current state of measurbation means that concerns over noise are blown way out of proportion to the detriment of photographers and photography alike.

How large you want to print? Do you actaully want to print, or are the photos just to show on digital frames or screensavers? There are so many factors involved, that noise is the least of your worries. Why? Because even if P&S cameras are generally "noisy", there are programmes that can reduce noise very effectively, again depending on the print size or final use of the photo.

If all you require are 10x15cm prints, there are hundreds of P&S with the specs you mention, any one will do. Otherwise, just use your DSLR. It seems strange to me that you already have the tool to do the job, so use it.

Good place to review/compare camera features is <a href=http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp>this page on dpreview.com</a>.<p>

Incidentally, the Fuji models most often mentioned, F30/F31, are 3x optical zoom, have been discontinued (as noted), and are now sold at premium prices. I've used a similar but less expensive camera with fewer manual controls but the same or similar sensor (Fuji F20), and for a pocket camera it does <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael-s/492078832/>surprisingly well at iso 400</a>. But at 3x, that's probably not what you want if you're sitting a considerable distance from the stage.<p>

The more I think about it, Robert, the more I think, "Hey -- You're a grandpa. If you can't bring your best camera (dslr) to your grandchildren's performances, then what's this world coming to ? " :-)

You know Michael, you're probably right. I seem to care too much about what other people think. Enough of that. I'm going for the shots from now on. It's the XT + 70-300IS next time out. (Especially since there doesn't seem to be any pocket camera that'll do what I need it to do, anyway.)

Thanks

• 1 year later...