I may be saying goodbye to camera straps soon...new product

Discussion in 'Wedding and Event' started by steve_c.|5, May 28, 2009.

1. This will be a real boon for us wedding shooters! It's the Spider Holster. I've just seen this on Engadget, and thought I'd share.

2. YES!!! I saw this at the PDN Virtual Trade Show and think this will finally be a way to get rid of my annoying straps.

3. Looks good but only if you are standing. Its ideal for a wedding photog but not something I would want to take on vacation.

4. I like my BlackRapid R-Strap.
    http://www.blackrapid.com/

5. I don't think it will substitute for a neck strap if you are swapping lens while standing, say from a shoulder bag.

6. Here we go again. I had this idea earlier this year and adapted a Manafrotto base to an old belt. I now have it on a web belt. Still use the camera straps but this takes a lot of weight of my neck and stops the camera from bouncing around. I use a flat bolt with a camera mount thread on the back of the belt. Cost $50CND.
    I also invented gerry Fong's flash stuff in the 1970s but did not market it.
    00TUYN-138629584.jpg

7. Wow that's really cool. Has anyone used this with a Nikon D300/500/700 with the MB-D10 batter pack. What about 2 cameras, one on each side? My final thought is what about if it has a flash on it - how does all this effect the movement of the camera on the hip, or how it rides against your body, etc...

8. I like the BlackRapid straps too, and had considered picking one up, but want to see how this gizmo works first. I don't think it's for everyone, certainly, but it's a nice idea, and fast on the draw.
    Errol, I admire your inventive spirit!

9. I just looked at the R-strap video and I took my D300 with a Manafrotto mount on it and clipped both sides of a camera strap to it and it worked the same way. Only $20.

10. Neat idea but it has a couple drawbacks to me......
    When you lift the camera out of the belt clip, the camera has no support. If someone bumps into you or you have an oops, the camera and lens can go flying. However, maybe you can get around this by attaching a hand strap to the tripod mount and attaching this gizmo to the second tripod mount if your hand strap has one.
    Maybe a better idea is use this Spider with a neck strap. That way you have support but there is no neck strain because the camera is sitting in the holster, taking pressure off the neck.
    Second thing, it is quite pricy! Maybe it's just me but $125 for a plastic belt clip seems like a bit much.

11. I just tried something else. I put the camera strap on the usual way but slung the strap like the R-strap. Then I put my belt on with the lower mount and was able to lock the camera or use it like the R-strap. No extra cost.

12. I'm a R-Strap fan. When I first saw the Spider Holster the thought that came to my mind was "what if I bump the camera in a doorway?" With a traditional strap, the camera gets shoved around. WIth the holster, the camera absorbs more of the impact. I can also have a flash on my camera with and re-position the camera as I move through the crowd. Not so with the holster. Unique idea. Not really sure how effective it will be.

13. Actually, the product seems to be made from aluminum and/or stainless steel, not plastic. That might explain the price, since machining costs could be high in mass production.
    It might not be perfect for every instance, and may have some drawbacks, but so do camera straps (they get in the way, they get caught on things, etc.). Nothing is perfect, I guess.
    I do think a hand strap would be a must, though.

14. Looks interesting, but do they sell suspenders with it? I think I would need them to keep my pants up with those heavy cameras attached to my belt. LOL

15. I've been trying to invent this for a while now. If I had only known about Errol Young's solution! I like that idea better because you can keep your tripod mount on your camera. I currently use a Black Rapid but have been wanting a quick belt solution for my second camera when shooting the ceremony. Now it's off to Amazon to price a tripod base...

16. BTW Errol, clipping a regular strap to your tripod mount doesn't work exactly the same way as a Black Rapid. With the BR your camera slides on the strap. Your way the strap would be constantly moving around your body. Maybe not a bid deal but could start to rub after 7 hours or so :)

17. Okay, last post I promise! Where did you find a Manfrotto base that you could adapt? All the bases i find are huge ball heads and such...

18. I've seen similar products before. Looks good for people who wear belts that sit tightly around the waist/hips, although I wonder about the weight capacity, and the fact that if you have a flash on the camera, it would be sticking out quite a bit. I prefer swinging the camera (with a flash) around the hip so it isn't sticking out. I think larger, heavier cameras would be a literal 'drag', as Cliff points out. A pro camera with a 70-200mm would be scary on it, I think. Plus, most women don't wear belts that way, including me, so I wouldn't use such a device, particularly without a safety fall back. Another problem would be walking through the narrow spaces between chairs at a reception.
    There have been reports of the Black Rapid straps' clip failure with larger, pro cameras. Cameraslingers is also another product, but there have been concerns about the clip quality, again. Personally, I would not want to be without a strap on my main camera. When I started out, my mentor always told me to use a strap, for safety, and I always have. I have a vertical grip on my camera and use the strap on the diagonal axis, so it is out of the way of my right hand on the camera/grip.
    Otherwise, I still use the holster strap I adapted from an OpTech binocular strap that works on the same principal as the BR strap--the camera camera slides up and down and sits under my arm. My second camera is on that strap and I can clip my battery pack to the other side, if I want to.

19. Yep. Even if one's body type would hold up a heavy belt load, I'd expect suspenders would be useful. Spreads weight distribution around and doesn't require the belt/belts to be tight enough around the waste to hold themselves up. I think I'd prefer something that provided more protection, perhaps a fitted or semi-fitted padded, rigid pouch, open bottom?, that would cradle/cushion the body and provide some bump protection.

20. No matter how careful you might be there will come a time when the camera will slip out of your hands. How would this save your expensive lens and camera body? Your camera strap always will assuming you have it around your neck while shooting.

21. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't grab me Steve.
    Previous similar ideas haven't either. I drive two cameras, one with a wrist strap and one with a neck strap.
    I like the fact I can "drop" either camera - quickly.
    I also like the fact I can always get to either camera easily, with my left hand to change lenses - quickly. I usually carry two lenses around my middle by various means, depending upon my dress. . . "dress" is a generic term, not a skirt :)
    WW

22. i like my strap.. i've never been into holster type deals.

23. What do you think will happen when the piece of plasic attached to your camera breaks?
    Bye bye camera, lens and flash.
    Or if it somehow comes loose from its holder.
    I will continue to use straps, and yes, the strap connectors can give way, but in the forty years I have used straps, not one has ever failed.

24. Although I'd love to leave camera straps behind, especially when using two bodies, I'm not ready to give them up just yet. I rely on the strap to provide two simple services: to hold up the camera when moving around, and to act as a failsafe if the camera slips out of my hands.
    I'm willing to admit I may be overly concerned with the latter. After all, I can't remember the last time I actually dropped the camera only to have the strap save it. But I do know accidents happen, and it's bound to happen to me sooner or later. I'd much rather put up with a camera strap (as much of a hassle as it can be sometimes), then watch thousands of dollars of camera equipment get smashed in a clumsy moment.
    With that said, I'd still be interested in checking out this Spider Holster. I was just mulling over picking up a cheap Nikon FG to keep in the car / carry with me when I travel through the less savory areas of town. If I could keep the camera on my hip instead of around one shoulder, it just might be worth the investment.

25. (WW) Yes, but does it grab your camera? :) (rhetorical)
    Again, I think the parts are made from stainless steel, not plastic, including the part that screws to the bottom of the camera.
    In the words of Cajun humorist Justin Wilson, "I'm a safety man. I wear bot' a belt AN' suspenders...I don't took a chance!" I see there are some safety folks here too.
    Even if you leave the strap on your camera, I can see this being useful. When I'm shooting formals and working with people, I have to use my hands to help position them, help them move stray hairs off their forehead, etc. I don't know how many times I've laid my camera on the ground or a pew, so I could either demonstrate a pose or do something where I didn't want the camera slung from my shoulder. If I had this, it would be so easy to drop the camera onto the belt hook for a brief minute and retrieve it quickly. Of course, those who love their brackets need not apply.

26. http://holdslr.com/About.htm
    This is another alternative that can be used as a holster or on a belt. It doesn't look as if it would be too secure with shorter lenses, as it would probably get top-heavy.

27. Well, with my ever expanding butt, it would probably just cause my pants to slip down more often. Also I'd be really warry of smacking the camera against something the same way one does a cell phone on a clip. Finally, I need the strap to rescue me when it drops out of my hands, which has happened more than a few times.
    On the other hand, it would be nice to get those dang straps out of the way. I think though I'd prefer a tripod mount (like the picture above) so you could use it interchangeably.
    If I wasn't so dang uncordinated and didn't have a miraculous ability to drop, bang, or otherwise do harm to equipment, it would seem like an interesting idea.
    Thanks for posting it.

28. I'd be wary of dropping the camera after unclipping it from it's catch. Think I'll stick to the R-Strap.

29. "There have been reports of the Black Rapid straps' clip failure with larger, pro cameras."
    There were a few clip failures with BlackRapid straps, so the company sent out upgraded hardware to all of their cutomers. I've never had a problem, even when using the 70-200 VR on a D700. But I replaced the old hardware with the new when it arrived, just to be sure.

30. Booray. Pro camrea shops sell just the quick release base and camera mount for $50 here. the trick is finding a comfortable screw to fit it. and my strap does not move around. I used it on a few jobs. Not great with a flash though but I am doing more natural light with the D300.
    The problem with my belt idea is that it takes longer to mount the camera because you have to seat it precisely but it releases with one hand quickly.
    I never use the belt without a camera strap. I am going to try it slung like the other one though.

31. I think we should make one out of a bicycle helmet. Just have the camera attach directly to the helmet like a miner's light.

32. For the record...I saw a photog at a swim meet I was coaching at with the R-Strap. I fell in love from afar, and have been searching for nearly 4 months to figure out what the darn thing was called. I emailed the photog to ask about his strap but never got a response. THANK YOU for saving my sanity-I just ordered mine!
    As for the holster-I too, would be afraid of the doorway bump or a passerby knocking it. Plus, I don't think the bride would enjoy my pants falling down under the weight of the clip. For those afraid of dropping it after unclipping-consider trying a handstrap to give you a bit more control/grip!

33. This doesn't get me excited either.....attaching a camera to my hip looks cumbersome and uncomfortable. My main camera is on a bracket and the 2nd camera has a strap....easy peasy. Perhaps they can get Billy Mays to peddle it on TV :)

34. I see it hanging from the belt ... in about a half hour I see it hanging around my ankles because the weight has dragged my pants down. Nothing worse than hitching your pants multiple times and needing to re-tuck the shirt because of the weight on the belt.
    I like the comfort of Rapid strap at this point. They (rapid strap) are just coming out with a dual configuration too which is a bit more than I want but interests me to some degree.

35. Well, once again I seem to have misjudged the group and thought I'd see more interest in something like this. Oh well, we've all got our likes and dislikes. Of course we're all speculating about this thing with none of us having actually tried it.

36. Keith--that strap is interesting and similar to the Cameraslinger and Dual R Strap--however, it definitely will not work for women, since the straps are just at the wrong place for a woman's anatomy.
    Robert--I have heard of a couple of cases where even the new clips dropped pro cameras.

37. At the risk of sounding way too cynical and showing myself up for the non professional that I am....
    if you're wearing your camera on a quick release clip whilst walking around a crowded city looking for that winning candid shot, what's to stop some light fingered scrote from swiping your pride and joy off of your belt and having it away on their toes?
    At least with a strap they'd have to try and drag you along with it

38. I didn't read the other responses. I long ago abandoned bags and straps and went with holsters due to many factors and never looked back. I would be hesitant to invest in this product however because the camera is exposed and if there were a slip and fall or even a bump into something damage could ensue. There could be security and damage issues if it not secured fully plus seeing a camera could be more tempting to theives but the same effect is in play with a strap I suppose. A normal holster takes some more time to undo but, yes, its not foolproof. I guess the biggest concern is that a normal holster does protect the camera against many potential hazards that this system doesn't.

39. I'd put the clip on the front of my belt and attach my 70-200 to it- look out ladies! LOL!

40. (for Sam Ellis, in my best Austin Powers voice) Yeeeeaaahh bay-bee!

41. Black Rapid Rstraps will drop cameras only if they are not properly fitted on the bottom, happened to me this weekend.
    D700, battergrip, 14-24mm, and the SB900 just fell away because the movement of me grabbing at the camera slowly unscrewed the attachment on the base of the camera. Can this be fixed? Not certain with the way the camera strap is set up, but if I keep a steady eye on the attachment, I'm good. Now the question is do I want to have to keep an extra eye on an attachment rather than the bride?

42. Wow, what a debate this turned out to be!
    I don't think I would use the belt clip all the time by any means but I do like the idea for a wedding. I rarely change lens, instead I prefer to just have two camera's. Typically, my BR strap has the workhorse lens, flash and battery rig (btw, I sewed velcro on my strap so thet my battery pack rides on the backside. It's nice because it doesn't weigh down my belt and I can remove all my gear by removing my strap.). My second camera will have no flash... maybe a short 1.8 prime or even the zoom. I like the idea of being able to snap that second camera on my left hip while my main hangs from my BR on the right. Just for the ceremony, mind you. The rest of the time the second camera stays in the case.
    As for the BR fail, I've never had a problem but then I don't use the hardware. I keep my tripod mounts on my cameras at all tmes and attach to that.
    Hell, even with one camera on the BR it would be nice to snap it to my belt to secure from swing when I need both hands for posing or moving gear..
    Errol - I must be misunderstanding your makeshift BR. If you have a regular strap and it's secured at both ends to the camera then when you move the camera from your side to your face the strap would have to rotate around your body with the camera. Unless you have the strap passing through a loop like the BR..

43. Booray, you are correct the strap does rotate. I do not find this to be a problem. But I have yet to try it on the job. I spend too much on photo gagets most of which are packed away. This did not cost me anything.Still I get away

44. No, as I said, several photographers have had their cameras dropped due to the clip quality itself, not unscrewing from the camera. I belong to Digital Wedding Forum and there is a post running on it now that talks about this.

45. Isn't this why they make duct tape? ;)

46. "..... just fell away because the movement of me grabbing at the camera slowly unscrewed the attachment on the base of the camera."​
    Daniel, I don't understand how this can happen. The screw threads into the tripod mount, and then there is a tightner that locks it down. I'm trying to imagine how the strap could come unscrewed from the tripod mount because my lock is very tight. Could you explain please?

47. It seems a reasonable idea, but I don't want more weight pulling my pants down.
    I just ordered a cameraslinger and will see how that goes tomorrow.

48. Hardly a new idea. Tried one 10 or 15 years ago. It makes you look like a second rate Clint Eastwood while doing anything but make your day. Nice for one hour or so after that it rapidly becomes a nuisance.

49. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

"It makes you look like a second rate Clint Eastwood while doing anything but make your day."
    :) ROFPML

50. While I wouldn't put a pro camera with lens and flash on anything like this, it may be an interesting way to carry a second lens that has a tripod collar. But then what would you do with the lens that you take off the camera? I use a Boda lens bag when I want to stay mobile but have another lens or two with me.
    However, it could be cool to have a smaller camera on your hip as a back up or for fun shots ... like a Sigma DP2 or one of those higher quality small 2/3rds camera with a pancake 40mm.

51. Reminds me of a reworked version of the rapid strap. Nice.

52. This totally would not work for those urban types that wear their pants below their butt.

53. What if I was shooting a wedding at a nudist resort?! HUH?!! What then??!!

54. It is great for the company whom selling it. After half an our, you have a sore hip, and you happy, an-till you drop the camera, face down with the lens. Almost, all of the special gadgets, good for the manufacturers packet, I figured out in the last 55 years of my photography.

55. it

it

OK with a small body and prime lens but anything else might be too much weight on the belt.

56. I do not use a strap. I just keep the camera in a very small shoulder bag and grab it when needed. Don't see the need for a holster.

57. One thing about a cam strap is its on your body, so if the camera falls.... you'll generally just suffer a bruise, not a hurt wallet :p
    I personally use a R-strap when toting my dslr + 300mm/4 + Flash + Extender
    I don't shoot weddings, that thing may work, but I would never feel safe...

58. I would still prefer the neck starp than the SH, because the camera is on your chest so it is in the most safe and easy to pickup and click position for the camera. Even if I don't have a strap option than I would like to keep my camera in my hands than the SH because its not looking so comfortable postion for me.

59. I've been using a Zing strap for years. If you want a neck strap it can attach as well. Usually I just use the zing as it makes the camera an extension of the hand. I've carried a Fuji S2 and a D700 all day with this and never had a problem. It's amazingly comfortable and I don't think about the camera being there.
    It comes with a belt clip, but I don't trust my $3K of gear to a $1.29 belt clip. If I need to free the hands I'll either use the neck strap or just put the camera down for a second. The belt clamp using the bogen mount is an idea I might try though... not bad at all.[​IMG]

60. So I guess I would holster my camera and hang my 9mm from around my neck.

61. I do agree with those that point out that it's not much fun to pull a camera out of a holster, only to watch it go flying out a 17th story window (as did my Nikon F, which survived just fine!)
    But there is a larger issue not being addressed here.

If you're only using one camera, it should never be on a shoulder strap to begin with. Shoulder straps announce that most of the time, you're not paying attention to what's around you, and you're only going to pick up the camera and work with it now and then. They make you a little bit like a ballet dancer distracted by a Blackberry. That brands you as either an amateur/tourist or...

If you need multiple bodies at once, you're probably a "true professional", which means being well equipped takes precedence over the intense synchrony between you, your camera, and your environment, that is necessary to grok with fullness.

Personally, I've always preferred using wrist straps (like the pictured Zing). And I've always recommended them to people. Using them helps remind you to focus completely on seeing, and being ready, so you're not just walking around with a camera.

And if your camera flies out a 17th window, at least you'll die in glory along with it!

62. That Spider Holster thingy looks like an overpriced space-age cell phone belt clip.

63. "So I guess I would holster my camera and hang my 9mm from around my neck"
    There are better solutions for that Eric. You might try this or something like this