I love my D1X and I hate it when people trash this camera

<p>I have to say, I do not understand some people, they think because a camera is not the newest and greatest model that all order models are of no use and they like to trash them. I was on another site <a href="http://www.nikond1.net">www.nikond1.net</a> and there was this person trashing the D1x saying how obsolete it was and not good for anything except family snap shots. That the Camera could not make a 20 x 30 print because it was older technolgey and the best it could produce is 8x10 prints. He then went on to write in the post how his Nikon D40 was so much superior... I had to correct him on a number of things... The D1x is a professional body and can use all Nikon Glass in every function including AF and metering... The D40 can not...The D40 can only meter and AF with AFS lenses with the motor. The D1x is sealed against dust and moisture... The d40 is not...The D1x has the a 6 mega pixel sensor that canout put 12 bit Raw the d40 sensor is 6 mega pixel but can not out put 12 bit raw only 8 bit... The burst rate are about the same for the two cameras.. My D1X has the buffer upgrade so it is slightly better... My D1x has made many a 20 x 30 print and more than its fair share of 16x 40 prints with outstanding results.. What was this guy thinking... I was strayed away from the D1X for about 4 months and replaced it with a Nikon D70, then on a wedding shoot it rained and the D70 gave up the ghost, so I switched back to the D1X and have not switched since.<br>

I have shot more than 100+ wedding and had numerous images published with the D1X and never a complaint and the camera never let me down...</p>

<p>So my question to the board is this, do you agree with this guy or not</p>

<p>Why bother with this stuff? Obviously your camera is meeting your needs. You're a pro and this other guy isn't, and he's not going to understand what your needs are, so what does it matter to you if he insults your camera?</p>

<p>I have the sneaking suspicion he's been reading too much Ken Rockwell. Ken can be helpful for many things but people who spend too much time reading his site develop very strange feelings about the D40.</p>

<p>I too love my D1x. It's always in my bag no matter what. Its nice too that they're getting a little more disposable price wise. If something happens to a D2x you're out a minimum of $1200, where as if I were to damage my D1x I could replace it for less than $500 (both prices from KEH.com). It's not the newest or the greatest but it is a lot of fun to use, and is capable of taking great pictures. And with it's weight, if someone has something bad to say about it, you can always throw it at them.</p>

<p>I recently picked up a buffer upgraded mint D1x with all the boxes (like 3 or 4 boxes nested) for 380.00usd</p>

<p>Thing counldn't have more than a thousand clicks.</p>

<p>I love it and the synch speed. You should've reminded him you can sync up over 1/1600-2000 depending and I'm not talking some neutered HS synch mode.</p>

<p>Only downside is batteries and there are several ways around that.</p>

<p>Who cares what some blowhard on a forum says... including me?</p>

<p>Use your camera, enjoy it. Don't get caught up in the B.S. Since I've been a push processing fool with b&w film for many years, most of my photos are grainy and contrasty with poor resolution. Why should I care if my D2H at ISO 6400 looks like Delta 3200? That's pretty much what I'm after anyway.</p>

<p>I've learned to steer clear of "D300 vs. D2x" threads. I fully understand why a D300 wins out, but it hurts to hear people that probably have never used a D2x trash it as obsolete and useless. A couple of times I pointed out that the D2x was the DSLR that was finally good enough to draw top nature photographers over to digital, but it fell on deaf ears.</p>

<p>The D1x is not a bad camera, but is no longer competitive. My D1x was effectively retired once I started using a D2h, which proved to be sharper and have much better color. It was completely retired when I purchased a D2x. The clincher is battery life - 200 shots for the D1x compared to 400+ for the D2 cameras.</p>

<p>I do not understand what all the fuss is about battery life My D1x can shoot 5-600 images before needing a battery change. The board is write I should not worry about such things and just keep shooting the way I have been. It seems to work for me as i am getting more business than I can handle and I have had no complaints about my images.</p>

<p>Todd,<br>

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through this. I remember on DPReview.com when the D700 was announced. This woman went in & blasted all the D300 owners laughing saying " now how do you feel with your obsolete D300 cameras" - she was not the only one - but as a woman - - she's the one I remember. I guess she must have been shooting with a D200 & felt bad when she could not get a D300. <br>

Something like that.....<br>

Either way.... All that ultimately matters is that you like what your camera produces. It's obviously still working & you paid a lot for it. You're obviously happy with it. That's what counts. Forget these other people. Most probably you're wasting your time trying to explain why the build of the D1x is superior to the D40. You're probably wasting your time trying to explain what the D1x has over the D40 in most regards.<br>

Enjoy your camera & forget about that person. As for print size. I have yet to print anything larger than an 8x10 out of either of my cameras - - ever. It will change when I print a few I've taken this summer, but I don't normally print anything larger than an 8x10.<br>

JMHO<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I do not understand some people, they think because a camera is not the newest and greatest model that all order models are of no use and they like to trash them. I was on another site <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.nikond1.net/" target="_blank">www.nikond1.net</a> and there was this person trashing the D1x saying how obsolete it was and not good for anything except family snap shots.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Probably the same people who were pointing out how great it was when it was new and how much better it was than anything which came before it.</p>

<p>Just ignore them. most of my cameras are older than me and still do now, exactly what they did when new.</p>

<p>When a newer camera comes out with higher ISO and more resolution, it does not diminish what the previous models were designed to do. When you stay within the limits of your camera (whatever you are using), the results will be as good as you are.</p>

<p>I bought a D1x a little while ago, and I haven't picked up my D200 since. The D1x produces wonderful skin tones and color saturation, and I love the way it handles. I get a kick out of the 'latest and greatest' crowd, and just shake my head when I hear them. I just tell them, "That's nice."</p>

<p>I use a Pentax K1000. Welcome to the club.</p>

<p>Every so often, when I come out of a short bout of negative thinking, I like to ask myself: are you proceeding with confidence? Proceed with confidence. If you focus on the good things you can do, you will be in a much better position to build up. When we get suckered into negative thinking for more than 15 minutes, we can lose sight of what can be accomplished. So vent a little, then rally and focus on what you can get done.</p>

<p>Complaints come from weakness. Building and fixing comes from strength. Get out of the complaining trap and get on with building. Confidence is a form of strength and courage. It doesn't support excessive complaining.</p>

<p>I'd suggest that in those times when we get ticked off; those frustrations can trick us into dwelling on what's wrong. That's good for identifying a problem or getting some bad feelings behind you; but, its usefulness ends there. If you are complaining, or listening to someone else complain, ask yourself: what can the complainer do to rectify the situation? Having someone else fix it for the complainer doesn't count. What can the complainer do to fix it?</p>

<p>If the complainer can't begin to think up an answer to counteract 15 minutes of complaining, under his own power, the situation may be unresolvable. There should be at least a brief outline or sketch or something.</p>

<p>I mention this because it's the only effective method I've observed that can break a stream of complaints. Listen for 15 minutes, and then make the complainers propose what they will do about the situation that's bad. Acceptable answers have to be what the complainer can do about it under their own power.</p>

<p>Since I started doing this, I have enjoyed a fifteen minute limit on listening to complaining. Sometimes I wish I would notice when my own 15 minute complaint time would start and end. That's just human nature, I guess.</p>

<p>It can be hard to do this if you are the one complaining about your own situation, but I find it can work. I suspect that person complaining to you won't do anything about the cameras he criticized. It's not like he is going to get you a new one or anything, so that he doesn't have to live in a world with one too many camera models in use that he doesn't like. Blow that off; and, drive on with the good stuff you are doing.</p>

<p>If Complainer Dude can't cough up a solution after a good 15 minute rant (I enjoy those twice daily); then, he probably can't come up with anything to fix it under his power. Disregard him and drive on. No one's going to perish because they have the wrong label on the camera. Your pictures are good enough. He's not going to do anything to build it better. No one has a shortage of complaints in this world; he's just adding to the surplus.</p>

<p>Proceed with confidence instead of listening to that detractor.</p>

<p>Complaints will only support or build if you cut them off and turn them around into a plan of action. Otherwise, they will go on and on and on without end. Ignore excessive complaints and focus on do-able plans and actions.</p>

<p>Like, make more pictures with your favorite camera. </p>

<p>Just remember, everybody shoots with a used camera. Everybody drives a used car. And no one owns their home, only the right to pay taxes on it. In fact, the best time to buy cameras is after the next two models have been put on the shelves, about three years with the breakneck pace of product development.</p>

<p> Are you happy with the results from your D1x? Do they aid and abet your vision? Does it dance in your hands? In Todd's case, the answers to all these questions is a resounding yes, and his also brings home the bacon.</p>

<p>Ps. I love mine.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I remember on DPReview.com when the D700 was announced. This woman went in & blasted all the D300 owners laughing saying " now how do you feel with your obsolete D300 cameras"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why pay attention to crap like this? Or indeed, anything of a non-technical nature you find on DPReview? It's for gear nuts and pixel inspectors.</p>

<p>I still use my 1Ds MARK I for commercial use. I've been asked about getting a Mark III, and refuse as the mark I is working flawlessly and giving me the images I need, (large photosites across a full frame sensor, beutiful portraits and higher diffraction limits, accurate autofocus). Besides, it's cheaper for me to pan and stitch if needed, and I don't need the burden of 3x file sizes for each and every image, etc. etc. "It's not broke don't fix it." There's nothing wrong with that kind of thinking. Keep your D1x until it dies or your needs justify an upgrade.</p>

<p>Todd,<br>

<em></em><br>

<em>I do not understand what all the fuss is about battery life My D1x can shoot 5-600 images before needing a battery change. </em></p>

<p>You certainly don't build credibility with this statement. The D1x is what it is. If it's good enough for you, leave well enough alone.</p>