I have the time and money now where to go

jam_jamboree1

So here's my question....

I've been given the go ahead to take a photo trip "ANYWHERE".

I am changing jobs.... I will have about 1-2 weeks before starting my

new position.

I have a ton of Frequent flyer miles

I have enough cash (my current job will pay me for un-used vacation)

I've never taken a trip primarily for photo purposes.

Time: End of September to 1st week of October.

Some ideas I've thought of:

Iceland

Russia

Prague

I realize it will be Chilly to cold this time of year, but I'm OK

with that.

My style of photo's, Rust, Color, Details... Stuff like that.

If you have a passport and a return ticket, visit Japan. The autumn colors are very 'photo' intense in the mountain areas not too far from Tokyo. Or visit Kyoto if you want scenic, old things to photograph.

A rail pass can be had if you buy it before departing the States.

Hi Jam,

first, amen to what Robert said. 1-2 weeks goes by faster than you can believe. 2 months is more like it.

If you can make it for two months, I'd go to Europe and get yourself a rail pass. You can see quite a bit in two months.

If still only two weeks, I would consider the Desert SW: Arizona, Utah. If you like warm colors, i.e. "rust", you'll love the desert.

Good luck.

David.

Unfortunately, two weeks is really not enough when going overseas. You will loose at least two days travelling and jetlag usually costs you a couple more days. If I had the time I would go to Africa again, but not with only 14 days available to me. A better choice might be to S.America (Ecuador and the Galapagos?) or Costa Rica. But for the best use of time the American SW is hard to beat.

Tough question. I guess you can find rust, color, detail anywhere. There are so many places to see and so little time. It may be easier to give you recommendations if you tell us where you have already been.

<p>

It isn't really the right time for Iceland. The best time is the summer (unless you want to see the Northern Lights) otherwise it is overcast most days. I was there at the end of August for a few days and it was overcast most the time making for dull landscapes. If the light is right Iceland can be a photographers paradise. Lucky money isn't a problem for you because it is of the most expensive places I've ever been.

<p>

Prague is nice but really touristy. You can do it in 2-3 days. With 2 weeks you could also check out a few other Eastern European cities or get into some small villages.

<p>

Russia could be good. I've only been to Moscow but I found it fascinating and not too bad for photography. People are not too cool about getting photographed so if you're into portraits you may want to look elsewhere.

<p>

Hope this helps,<br>

Patrick - <a href=http://www.patrickperon.com>www.patrickperon.com</a>

I always think it is a blessing in disguise, when you can go ANYWHERE. There are simply

too many exciting options out there.

I do like the idea of Prague - I went about two years ago and had a great time

photographing. However, two weeks would probably be too much to just spend there and I

would suggest traveling around - if you decided to go there. You would also likely be okay

with the weather that time of the year - although there might be a lot of rain.

Personally, I would suggest doing a "themed" tour. How about Colonial cities? You could

start in Antigua, Guatemala, travel south to Granada, Nicaragua, hop on a flight to La

Havana, Cuba, and fly south to Cartagena, Columbia. Plenty of things to see, lots of variety

in terms of photo ops, culture, nature, food, etc. Each of these citites is exciting in its own

way: Antigua is simply gorgeous and allows glimpses into the lives of the Maya, Granada

has a lovely small-town feel to it and offers plenty of scenery along Lago Nicaragua,

Havana is unbelievable and beyond description, and Cartagena is a true gem. Plus, it will

be warm in either of these places! Your flights would all be relatively short (1 or 2 hours,

with the exception of Cartagena), maximizing the time you spend photographing and

experiencing a place. Safety has never been an issue in either place - even though I carry a

lot of expensive equipment with me.

Another alternative would be to look at keadventure.com - they occassionally offer photo

specials and I believe the current trip is to Nepal's Everest trail. Could be very exciting...

Wherever you decide to go - Have fun.

I'm not into chilly, so...

Based on your "style of photo", I can't think of anyplace with more rust, color and details than the Caribbean.

Rust....the salt air takes care of that with no effort on your part.

Color....if you can't find color in the Caribbean you must be seeing in black and white.

Details....check out some of the colonial structures going back to the 15th century and you'll find plenty.

The best part (for me) is that it's always warm and the rum is cheap.

Rich

So here's where I'm at.

Fly from US to Moscow

Fly from St. Petersburg to US

I will have a total of 14 nights on vacation

I am working on scheduling hotels in 3 night stays

i.e. Moscow stay 4 nights

fly to St. Petersburg stay 3 nights

Train to Helsinki stay a few days

Return to St. Petersburg to fly home

So here is my next question

How many days should I stay in each location?

Do I have enough time to visit Estonia?

Thanks for all your help