I have PAPER FILM from 1955-63 L@@K!!

My father was a photographer when he was young just out of the navy. He died when

I was just 16 but he got me started with the interest in it back in 1972 or so. But I

really didn't get into it until college years later and I never took off with it but I have a

bunch of boxes of old film some still sealed and some with the seal cracked open and

inside, there is a secondary box and obviously the film. Is this old film worth anything

to a photographer that uses old style stuff? Here is some info off the

boxes.

Is ANY of this stuff that was in a box in a dark closet in my basement worth anything

or sought after by older photographers using dark rooms etc.? My Dad use to use a

Ziess Icon camera, a Roliflex, a browning, and a Minolta among other things. The

enlarger was fried so I trashed it years ago. I still have the Porcelain trays and the

metal crop mat that is old. Assorted things like Kodak glass beekers, metal funnels,

wooden tongs, etc. The photographic paper is listed below that I have. If anyone

knows if this stuff is worth anything give me an idea what it's worth. If it's junk I'll just

keep it, if it's worth money to a collector of old paper or if the paper is still useable

then I'd put it on ebay. An old friend about thirty years ago looked at it and said,

"WOW, Lance up the street would love to get his hands on that old paper." That was

years ago. See list below. Any help from anyone would be helpful. Thanks. Email me

at Bullschmidtaddy@hotmail.com if you know anything on the stuff below. THANKS!

ANSCO photographic Shee Film Binghamton NY

25 Sheets 4x5 Triple S Ortho type V class B safety base spec. no. jan-f-35 exposure

index 100 Stock number navy e18-f-66015-725 sc 8D 22-1M

Emulsion no. 3111-372-5

Other Ansco box is still sealed with string type tear off still in tact.

says 25 sheets ISOPAN Type V class A Exposure indes 50 Stock no AF 7400-282000

Navy E18-F-67011-725 SC 8D 1100-1M

Spec no Jan-F-35

Emulsion number 282-469-1-j4

Both boxes are Grey and Red with a blue band

Koday box says 25 sheets date says on box July 1958 seal is broke but box feels full

heavy.

4x5 yada yada Type V class E Kodak contrast process ortho safety film

S/N 8d6750-246-1037

spec no. mil-f-35b

Kodak 4x5 purchased 5-13-63

ROYAL PAN FILM box was opened by feels mostly full has red tape on it sealing it

closed.

Kodak 4x5 Tri-X Safety Film Type VI--CLASS N TX523 Exposure index 200

Spec. No Mil-F-26011 61 S/N 6750-393-9752 July 1959 Emulsion No. 542

Yellow box Green label...

Both seals on sides of box are NOT torn but one has freed itself. Pencil on box, with

my fathers handwriting, Ned X Exposed with a line under it, Don't Know. Box is

completely full. I doubt it has been used. If it has I'd want the pics back.

Kodak TRI-X panchromatic film develope in Kodak DK-60a or DK-50 Dec 1958

Kodak March 1957 Emulsion no 6130-239-2 Kodak INFRARED SAFETY FILM TYPE V

CLASS K S/N 8D28-1M Exposure index 12.

spec MIL-F-35B Feels half full.

Kodak MAY 1959 Kodak Super Panchro-Press Film Type B 4x5 feels about 10 sheets

in it. Less than half full. Develope with Kodak DK-60a, D-19, Dektol, or DK-50

Lastly for the 4x5 film, Kodak INFRARED Film

Sheet film date Nov 1953, yes I know, it's 53 years old but it feels completely full.

Also have RED BAG with black bag inside of 8X10, have SIX bags.

DUPONT PHOTO PRODUCTS

Velour Black R-1 25 sheets white glossy single sheets sealed and under this it says

Emul no. Ref Num and Use Before and these numbers. 1111 7929 2526 5-59

There is to much info to list here so I'll go quick from here out.

Velour Black Y-3 open but feels light

Velour Black R-4 open feels half full

Velour Black R-3 open and almost full

Velour Black R-2 open feels half full

Velour Black Y-2 open feels almost full

One Brown Box, Kodak Photographic paper 10x10

CHLORIDE contrast 2 Single Weight Glossy One Gross type i Emulsion 23353

Chloride Contact Paper Printing Paper United States Army No 75-157-B Packed

Emulsion side to back. Box is about an inch thick feels VERY heavy as in 100 sheets

FULL but opened seals

SIX Bags of Kodak Photogaphic paper 5x7

KODAK Double weight

KODABROMIDE G-3 July 1958 / 25 sheets feels half full seal opened.

KODAK Single weight

KODABROMIDE F-3 June 1958 / 25 sheets feels 1/4 full seal opened.

KODAK Single weight

KODABROMIDE F-1 Oct 1955 / 25 sheets SEALED FULL still has string tear.

Zepp Photo Sticker still on it. Says $1.05 on it HAVE TWO SEALED ENVELOPES.

KODAK Single weight

KODABROMIDE E-3 May 1959 / 25 sheets feels full seal opened. Rubber stamped

with STARK FILMS SINCE 1920 Baltimore address on outside.

KODAK Single weight

MEDALIST J-2 May 1957/ 25 sheets open feels half full.

SIX BAGS of Kodak 8x10 Paper 25 sheets each. 3 Kodabromide 3 Medalist

Kodak Kodabromide G-4 Jan 1959

opened feels almost full.

Kodak Kodabromide F-2 Jan 1957

opened feels half full.

Kodak Kodabromide F-4 May 1958

opened feels 1/4 full.

Kodak MEDALIST F-3 July 1959

SEALED FULL

Kodak MEDALIST F-2 Oct 1959

opened but feels almost FULL

Kodak MEDALIST F-4 Feb 1959

opened feels half full

ONE Sealed CAN of Kodak YES I SAID CAN like the Campbells soup can that you need

a can opener to open, of Kodak D-76 Developer 14 ounces feels like Powder inside.

For film and plates full emulsion speed at low ot normal contrast makes one gallon of

solution, has film tray time and tank agitation time scale on back for panatomic X

35mm 1:1

Plus-X 35mm Infrared 135 and Verichrome Pan 828 TRI-X Roll and Packs

Panatomic X Roll Infrared sheets

Verichrome Pan Roll and Packs

Professional Sheet and Film plates.

It mat be worth something for display purposes but not of any use for photography. I have a whole box of Kodak cans of chemicals from the 50's and 60's I display. I actually opened one of my d-76 cans last year and it worked but I keep the rest for looks. The film would be incredible fogged and the paper useless. Medalist was a beautiful paper I have sample in my darkroom guide from Kodak. If you think the film is exposed let one of us try to develop and scan it for you. Gene M. has amazing results with film of that vintage.

Hate to burst your bubble but all of this is totally unusable and worthless unless you can find somebody who simply wants to set them on a shelf as a display of obsolete films and papers. Everything is decades beyond its expiration date and while there are always stories of somebody developing a roll of film from 1940 or shooting on film from 1950 it would be purely a science experiment, not something anyone who try to use for important pictures. 4x5 is a standard size that is still made, and a new box of 25 sheets of Tri-X is only around $25, so there's no need to use 50-year-old film. All that said, you might want to try ebay. There are people who might like to have this sitting around museum-style. But trying to use it would be like eating a can of soup from the same era.

In the June issue of B&W (#43) there was an article on a gentleman named Paul Messier

who is archiving old unused photo paper - he has over 3000 samples - to reference

unexposed papers. He wants to use his archive to help consevators, art historians and

curators date and authenthicate important photos. In any case he may be someone you

want to get in touch with. His info:

pm@paulmessier.com

617-371-6524.

i got this info off the article.

This is AZO paper...

"One Brown Box, Kodak Photographic paper 10x10 CHLORIDE contrast 2 Single Weight Glossy One Gross type i Emulsion 23353 Chloride Contact Paper Printing Paper United States Army No 75-157-B Packed Emulsion side to back. Box is about an inch thick feels VERY heavy as in 100 sheets FULL but opened seals"

I wanted to point out something, when I say the seals are broke I mean the BOX seal

or the outter paper package. ALL the paper is inside a black paper sleeve, turned in

upside down and put into the thick yellow paper on the outside. The small 4x5 boxes

have the seals broke on some but not on others. I other words, all the paper is as far

as I know, UNEXPOSED and has not seen light since my father last opened the paper

envelopes in his basement years ago with a safelight in the dark. He use to shoot me

and my brother and then develope in the basement.

As to the guy that mentioned the enlarger... I say it was "FRIED" as an expression. It

was VERY old and had not all of it's parts and was dropped once. I took it apart and

saw the big lens were fine but a FLAT peice of UNMAGNIFIED glass as in a 1/4 inch of

plain everyday glass was broken. I could easily have bought new glass but cutting it

into a circle would not have worked out to well.

Someone mentioned having it "SCANNED" to see if it's any good, I'm not sure what

that means. I would like however to have someone test one peice of paper from

EACH package to see if it's still any good as it just sat in my cool basement in the

dark for the past 40 years. I never bothered with it. I recently pulled out the white

porcelain trays with the blue band around the top edge as they are in mint condition

and I wanted to see what they'd go for on Ebay. I didn't see any and I figure they

aren't worth anything being vintage or not so I can't see selling them cheaply as I

imagine either porcelain trays are either no longer available or are expensive and not

worth selling unless they are worth anything as they ARE my Dad's and I'd hate to sell

something that belonged to him unless it was valuable. After all, if it only brings a

small price, why not keep it for rememberance. My father would tell me to sell it if it

was worth a lot though.

As to the paper, I have a 35mm SLR but I no longer develope myself and gave it up. I

have the negative tank and a few other things and really no longer going to use them.

I thought to sell them but they are not worth much either as well. So for pictures I

simply go to Walmart. I know.., you all just cringed right there... GET THE PADDLES!!!

WE JUST GOT A FLAT LINER HERE!!!

Shawn, even if the paper had been frozen for for 40 years it is only worth display or sentimental value. It would have so much fog it is worthless for printing. It doesn't matter how well you store paper it goes bad. The film would also have alot of base fog but could salvage an image if exposed, as far as using the film again it would not be worth sense a box of 4x5 is 30-70 dollars brand new. The trays may go for 5-10 dollars a piece if you are lucky. Most people prefer plastic because some toners can react violently to trays if there are any chips in the porcelain even if so small you can not see them.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but either keep it for sentimental reasons, donate it to a museum if they want it or sell it for a few bucks on ebay. The Shipping will be more than your share if you go that route.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Are all these people who are calling the paper "worthless" joking? It won't be able to give you a standard photographic print, but it is in no way "worthless". That is one of the most ignorant statements I have heard regarding photographic supplies. I have a whole fridge full of paper dating back to the 40s and it all prints. It depends on the exact paper, of course. Some is unmatched for lith printing, some is just the ticket for a certain straight print. The worst I have got with all of this crazy old paper (stored in a hot storage shed in Southern California, no less) is about three stops worth or fog.