fredus

Even if Leica comes up with a digital M, I don't want it ! I still

want to be able to pop film in my M6, shoot my 36 pictures roll in

the afternoon or more, send the film to my lab, wait 1 week to

receive my prints and see the result. Get exited when I open the

package, discover shots I forgot, see the magic of my summicron at

work, keep the bad shot as well and rediscover them a month or a

year later and go outside and shoot again instead of spending 2

hours in front of the computer with photoshop.

My opinion anyway.

Fred

I like color slide film. Like looking into a window of reality. Cheap and simple too, unless you shoot compulsively or professionally. If a digital M eventually gets down to say 1.5-2 times the price of the film body, then maybe I'd be interested. Maybe not though...

Apart from the cost why do we have to be on one side or the other? I'm sure like most Leica users I have more than one camera. Sometimes I shoot 35mm film and sometimes digital. I do like the idea that one day (again cost permitting)I will be able swap my m body and shoot digtal for a while and then swap back again, all the time using the same lenses.

For me I can't see digital replacing film, it'll merely add another aspect to my hobby.

What I don't like about digital though, is that it makes you lazy. I tend to twiddle the knobs and press the buttons until I get the shot I like. Film photography requires more consideration and forethought and is hence the essence of this wonderful hobby.

I had a former neighbor who in his early seventies, after his wife died, moved to another city and bought a house with a thirty year mortgage. I'm not sure what his intentions or expectations were. But he had a neat old Exakta Vx that he still used as his only camera. He took it with him when he moved.

I think ya'all is missin' da point. Is Leica going to be able to sell enough of the digital M's? Will that digital Bessa steal the thunder? Surely if the Bessa comes out first and gives adequate results, the niche market for Leica will be even smaller. Given all that though, I'm sure they will sell enough- look at the MP (is it selling well?).

I agree with you Fred, I aslo prefer to have pictures on silver, on the other side having a digital M body out in the market will be good for the future development of the M system, even if there are still users that will prefere to use a regular film body. it will help un the development of new lenses.

Leica AG explains that things are not as easy as set a digital back to an M body, because distance of M lenses to film plane is very reduce and digital sensors can´t read ligth at certain angle, that´s what I understood, still I think it can be fixed by developing the rigth sensor, maybe with a special glass that will cost say $3K, still many of us leica users that owns say $12K in leica lenses would opt to add a digital body.

<<Is Leica going to be able to sell enough of the digital M's? Will that digital Bessa steal the thunder? Surely if the Bessa comes out first and gives adequate results, the niche market for Leica will be even smaller. Given all that though, I'm sure they will sell enough- look at the MP (is it selling well?).>>

There you go James! Just look at the M7. It sold well despite being twice the price and half the camera as the Hexar RF. Leica didn't even need the assassination attempt with the bogus back-focus/incompatibility ploy and Konica's gullible, greed-fueled complicity therein. Leica can count on a certain sales volume if they stuck a red dot on a turd, in fact in figurative terms they've done just that many times.