I am gonna buy a camera,need your help..

greg_fokker

Hello

I am thinking to buy a good camera.I am a beginner and i dont have

much knowledge about cameras.I am going to spend 500-600 euro for it

and until now i have 2 choices.

1-Nikon F55 and Canon EOS Rebel TI

I like to take photos,i need something quality and which is not too

complicated.If you have any other recommendations for me,please write

it.

Thank you

Couldn't you get an F80 for that amount of money? The F65 and F80 offer quite a lot of features for the money.

If you just want to put the camera in program mode and fire away, the F55 will be fine. It will also let you work in other modes to expand your understanding of photography. Compared to other Nikons, it lacks flexibility in flash options and in lens choices... but if you're sure you won't want to pour more money into a Speedlight or the more expensive NIkkor lenses, that absence of flexibility will not hurt.

Have fun,

Greg,

The minimum camera I would recommend in the Nikon line is the F80/N80. If possible I�d go for a F100 or an FM3a. A friend who repairs cameras has seen a number of number of N65(s) with broken latches requiring a new camera back. He says the backs are always on backorder. If you go with a Canon product I move up the product line a similar number of models.

I would not buy any camera with a single command dial interface. Actually if you want a simple to operate camera that gives full control an FM3a is really easier to use than most any AF model unless you set the AF up as a P&S. The problem with cameras such as the F100 and F5 is they have so many features, modes and custom settings that one must be careful as the camera may be try to be "helpful" with auto-functions when you really don�t want them. The N80 is quite close to the F100 in this respect.

The FM3a is just easier to use. I own several FE2(s) which are the FM3a closest siblings in the Nikon line. I also own an F100 and F5.

Hope this helps,

Here is a good article concerning recommendations for a first

lens<br>

<br>

<a

href="http://www.vothphoto.com/spotlight/articles/forgotten-lens.htm" target="_new">http://www.vothphoto.com/spotlight/articles/forgotten-lens.htm</a>

<br>

<br>

A used 50/1.8 AI or AIS Nikkor would be my first choice. These

can be quite economical used. A 55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor or 50/1.4 AIS

Nikkor (late version) new or used would a good choice. An AF 60/2.8(D)

Micro-Nikkor is another. Actually my first 35mm lens has been a

55mm Micro twice and my first AF lens was a AF 60/2.8 Micro

Nikkor.<br>

<br>

Id skip a cheap zoom. There are some really fine zooms but

most are very expensive. A nice second lens might be a 105/2.5 AIS or

75~150/3.5 Series E but that's getting ahead of things at this point.<br>

<br>

Regards,

In comparing the N65 fo the N80, I'm not convinced that the N80 is worth the extra money (someone want to convince me?). My personal taste is to save on the body and invest the savings in lenses. Yes, the 50mm 1.8 rules, and I should use it more often than I do. But, if you have to go with a zoom (and I own a few....) you may want to look at the Nikon 28-105 F3.5-4.5. I like this lens. For a few extra bucks, you can get the new 24-85mm AFS zoom. It's compatible with the N65. You'd have a very fast focusing zoom with decent quality (at least I think so) and a body that has some decent features. I think this is do-able in the 500-600 Euro range.

Greg,

If you get an F55, F65, or F80, ignore David Hartman's advice about lenses. Any of those lenses would be great on an FM3a, but they won't work with the F55, F65 or F80. The meters on those cameras can't link with manual focus Nikkor lenses.

The question of what camera is best for you, and the related question of which lens, can't be answered here because we don't know what kind of photography you want to do, how serious you are, or how firm your budget is.

If you'd like useful answers, ask for the pros and cons of various models, and then compare to your needs. Otherwise, all you'll get is people selling you up one or two models, and jumping on their personal photo instruction/technique soapboxes.

If you want a simple SLR (means you have to do the work, no auto anything to use as a crutch or get in your way), move down the line to a fully manual body. Great way to learn if you don't mind some frustration up front. Even the much maligned plastic FM10 with its medocre 35-70mm kit zoom plus a better prime lens (pick a prime focal length after you've used the 35-70 for a while and consider AFD lenses in case you ever want to upgrade to an auto-focus body) will do fine if you don't drop it. It won't last 30 years like my ancient F, but it won't cost as much either. The FM3A is the top of the Nikon manual body line and there isn't anythine new in between. Not sure I'd buy an FM3A until I was certain that I didn't want an AF body.

If you want an auto everything Nikon body, move up to the F80 or F100. But you will eventually pay the frustration price to learn fully manual techniques when the point and shoot auto everything doesn't give you what you expect.

Similar goes for the Canon Rebel, it is a low end AF body that I find painful to override many of its automatic features. Move up the Canon EOS line a few models.

I second Craig's advice with this variation: buy a good used, Nikon

FM2n body from a dealer who will guarantee it long enough for you to

try out all of it's functions and make sure it works. This

absolutely professional-grade camera will cost about half of your

budget. Then add a new 50mm f1.8 AFD lens -optically superb, cheap new

and will work just fine on the expensive auto-focus body you may (or

may not) want in a year or two, when you have learned the game and

have become as frustrated and obsessed as the rest of us.

With the roughly 200 euros you have left, buy an inexpensive tripod

and LOTS of film........................

My first impulse (as well as second and third) was to agree with David Hartman. (I should say here that I find, most times, that I agree with him on virtually everything. In fact, I recall at one point checking my wallet to confirm that I am I and not him.) And also Craig, and David Kelly. But in the end I have to agree with Jim Gifford (whom I also often find my self in concurrence with) and David Enzel: it depends. On who you are and what you want. <P>

If you want the fun of pointing and shooting, without the hassles and frustration, up front, of learning about technical stuff, go with: a low-end camera that probably won't last very long and has limited capabilities; <I>but</I>, one that will allow you to enjoy, for a time at least, taking pictures. The N-55 might be okay for this (though I predict you will soon tire of it).<P>

If you want something that will grow with you, hold up longer, and that will allow you to learn at your own pace, while taking nice pictures the whole time, go with the F80 (N80 in USA). The risk you take here is one of never mastering the fundamentals (because you don't have to) (rather like going through first grade with a calculator - then finding yourself in highschool still trying to figure out addition and subtraction). Also, very likely you'll miss out on the pleasures of manual focus, and miss what that adds to your approach to the art. <I>But</I>, you'll have a camera that will be close to pro level in construction and capability, and one that will allow you to turn off the automation (most of it, anyway) someday, should you ever become crazy and reckless enough for that.<P>

If you want to learn the fundamentals up front, and develop a complete understanding and enjoyment of what is, in its essentials, a pretty straightforward craft, start with a mostly manual camera. Your best choice here is the FM3A, or, failing that, the FM2 or FE2. Needless to say, this is my preferred option and one that I think will best benefit you long-term. But then, I'm not you. (Some people are easily frustrated and might lose interest if they can't take great pictures <I>now</I>.)<P>

Whatever you choose, post some pictures here, and do come back with further questions.

Although, on second thought, there isn't a whole lot involved with putting the camera to your eye, turning the focus ring, making sure the two needles on the left (in the viewfinder) are in the same neighborhood, and pushing the shutter button. That's the full extent, pretty much, of manual camera use. I think you should start with one of those. (I'm always less wishy-washy after a nice lunch.)

<html>

<body>

<i>In comparing the N65 fo the N80, I'm not convinced that the N80 is worth

the extra money (someone want to convince me?)</i><br><br>

There are all sorts of reason that I can come up with off the top of my head as

to why the F80 is better than the F65:<br>

<br>

1. dual command dial interface<br>

2. spot meter<br>

3. viewfinder gridlines<br>

4. 1/125th sec flash sync (as opposed to 1/90)

Which lens would you recommend for a manual body (FM3A, FM2, FE2)? I would like to purchase a manual SLR for my girlfriend who I believe has a real talent (which she gave up years ago and I think would love to get back into). I'd say her skill is low-intermediate and she does mostly landscapes.

• 2 months later...

a little late here, but greg doesn't seem to exhibit any interest in indulging in photography as a serious hobby ("i like to take photos"). personally i say go for the N65; for very little more money than the N55 you get a lot more capability, and if greg feels like he wants to get more serious about photography he won't kill himself over the N55's lack of features. the N80 is more geared toward the serious amateur.

<BR><BR>

why am i referring to greg as the third person? i mean YOU, greg. :) sorry.

<BR><BR>

read <a href=http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID5/921.html>this</a> and <a href=http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID5/907.html>that</a> and even <a href=http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID5/791.html>that</a>. i think the first one sounds more like you, greg.