I am considering the Pentax K-1(Nikon User)

derek_thornton1

I want a good landscape camera but much to poor to afford currant models. So I first tried a used Nikon D800E used. I bought this camera from the most reputable dealer in the US, It had a crack in the body. From where the crack was, easy to see it fell lens first onto hard surface. I sent it back and decided to go with the D810, refurbished. Got it yesterday, it will not read ANY CF cards. I will be sending it back today.

So just wondering about this K-1. How is this body as far as dependability. Is the shutter as strong as a Nikon, will it last 200,000 shots. If something breaks on it after warranty expires, can I buy the parts and fix it myself. Nikon does not sell parts, other than exterior parts.

Also, what is a good wide angle lens for this. I shoot waterfalls, lakes, mountain vistas and astrophotography.

Thanks

• Like 1
derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

Honestly I’d try again to find a working Nikon, assuming you have lenses. You’ve had bad luck like I’ve never seen and it’s not likely to continue. A K-1 is an excellent camera. Rugged, same sensor as a D800, with IS and GPS, and if you’re looking for a DSLR system and have no investment in lenses it might be right for you, but if you have lenders it’s not going to be worth the cost and hassle of switching.
  • Like 1

Have bought four used or refurb Nikons, and most of my "modern" Nikon lenses used without any problems, and I use the equipment a lot. The only item I returned was a Nikon P&S which was in fine condition but did not live up to its reviews or meet my needs. Nothing wrong with Pentax, but if I were you, I'd try Nikon again.
  • Like 1

I'm a happy Pentax user (APS-C bodies only, so far) but I would also be surprised if you can't find a Nikon body that would work for you. Especially if you already own good Nikon mount lenses, I would suggest another Nikon body. One big weakness for Pentax now is the lack of a full system of lenses, especially primes, from third party makers who have dropped lenses in Pentax mount. Pentax does make a reasonably complete line of fast zooms, but these tend to be large and heavy if you're hiking long distances. I haven't used a K-1 but my experiences with the APS-C cameras from the ancient K 10 through the K 3 have been good. No body repairs despite heavy professional use and with only one exception the lenses have also held up well also. So a K 1 would probably work well for you, but you have a lot to consider before you buy.
  • Like 1

My experience with Pentax has been with their APS-C sensor bodies and lens. For shooting outdoor nature, weather and landscapes they have performed admirably. I never bumped up to FF as I don't want a large body anymore. Smaller bodies/lens make for better hiking and handling in the field. And, as for images, I have made some pretty large prints that have been awesome. Some would be hard to tell from FF. Most people who shoot with the K1 or newer K1ii seem to really like it for landscape images.

GQR

• Like 1

Used camera equipment can be like buying a used car. The often reason they are on the Used market is because the owner decided to dump their problem on somebody else. This is why I always cringe when buying used photo equipment. Most of the times I have been lucky(knock on wood) with used items I purchased Online, but sometimes a small glitch pops-up out of nowhere which is usually why the user sold it in the first place.

The thing is, you don't really have to switch. It's not Black & White when it comes to camera equipment. You can own different brands without forming some type of strict allegiance. I hopped onto Pentax cameras about 8 years ago after being a Canon user for 15 years and even longer a Nikon user. But did I dump my Nikon and Canon gear ? Heck No !

To me, Pentax cameras offer a lot of bang for the buck, this is just my personal opinion. As far as lenses are concerned there is definitely a limitation when it comes to Pentax lenses, but realistically how many lenses are you going to really need ? Of course you also have to think about customer support, repairs and things like that when you are building a system, or maybe you want to work as a professional. This is where Nikon and Canon really shine...

If you are not interested in working as a professional and you don't mind building a new arsenal of lenses, then try out the Pentax you might be pleasantly surprised like I was...

Edited by hjoseph7
  • Like 1

The k-1 is a great camera that offers much more than its rivals at a better price. True that Nikon or Canon etc have more lens choice, but that only means they offer more things that you won't need.

If you do landscape I would guess the onboard GPS would be useful, as would the pixel shift. That lenses and bodies are weather sealed is also a plus.

Pentax primes are excellent, their Limited series is superb but the rest are also impressive. The 24-70 f2.8 zoom is as good as the Canon and much cheaper, and you can always resort to manual classic PK lenses. I use a Tokina ATX pro 24-40 and the old Angenieux designed 28-80 2.6/2.8 and find them addictive.

• Like 1

If you are into landscapes and good color is important. Look for a Pentax K10D OR k20d Older cameras but the quality of their color excellent. Some say better then the more modern cameras. You can probably get a good lens with the camera.

so

• Like 1

Confession time - I do own a Nikkormat ! Long-standing Pentax user (MZ5N, K10D, K20D), but I always hankered after a Nikon F2. Never could afford one, then I got this Nikkormat (FTn ?) body for £7.50 ! With a few Adaptall lenses plus adapter, and a few rolls of Tri-X, I'm up and running. Intend to process and scan negs myself (as I did in the SIxties - er, at least, I think I did ! Can't really remember !).

Main thing is : use what you enjoy, enjoy what you use.

• Like 2

If you are into landscapes and good color is important. Look for a Pentax K10D OR k20d Older cameras but the quality of their color excellent. Some say better then the more modern cameras. You can probably get a good lens with the camera.

so

Having owned and used both the K 10 and the K 20 I wouldn't say that either of them had better color rendering than newer Pentax DSLRs, but the quality of the screens and the general operating convenience on the K 5 and K 3 cameras are far superior and well worth the extra money if it's possible to spend it. Auto focus improved a lot, as did noise and resolution. A K 5 IIs is probably the sweet spot for highest quality for the money in the used market.

Is the shutter as strong as a Nikon, will it last 200,000 shots.

No clue / personal experience but link

I had independent repairshops work on my Pentax stuff in the past but have no clue about spare part retail channels.

Comparing Pentax to other systems I'd worry about

• lens prices 24-70/2.8 vs Tamron's in (E)F mount / 70-200s in general
  • lens supply. The AF lens making 3rd parties never catered Pentax fully and dropped them entirely now?

If you have glass: Stick to your system. If you love some Pentax lenses: Get that camera.

If you'll need to buy some manual Korean / Chinese wide anyhow the Pentax might be a good choice. in DSLR land as long as you can afford an everyday zoom with it.

While I had mechanical issues with so far 3 pentax lenses, I don't want to bash them, since I lack comparable experience with other brands.