Hyper-sync flash in the camera body, please!

alec_myers

<p>It strikes me that the new PocketWizard Hyper-flash mode - advancing the flash trigger to some number of microseconds before the first curtain release to absolutely synchronise the light output time with the shutter fully-open period - could trivially be implemented by Canon, Nikon et al. in the camera body. <br>

Thoughts, anyone?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"That was already implemented by Canon and Nikon."<br>

I think you're thinking of the "high-speed flash" mode - this is something entirely different. This is a case of advancing the sync pulse ahead of the shutter, not strobing the flash tube.<br>

The "hyper-sync" works with any external flash, including monoblocks and packs. It's "just" a case of advancing the sync pulse ahead of the shutter, and no, I'm fairly confident it hasn't ever been implemented in camera (definitely not implemented in any of the Canon 10D, 30D, 5D, or 1DMkIII that I've used). But - it would be trivial to implement.</p>

<p>Well on really old cameras, prior to 1970, with an M sync, the contacts closed 20 milliseconds before the shutter was fully opened so a flashbulb would be at full brilliance when the shutter was fully open. So this is not a "new" idea. </p>

<p>PW are doing it to account for delays in their equipment, the PW unit appears to use one of the TTL prefire flash signals as a start signal for their units.</p>

<p>This functionality is already built into Nikon's and Canon's remote control flash systems, otherwise they wouldn't function properly. They just don't let you mess with it.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...