Hurricane Cancellation

david_eicher

How would you handle a Hurricane or Tropical storm cancellation? Being in

Florida, we can be faced with several of these. You would assume the B & G would

cancel for a Hurricane, but you might be surprised when they don't. And if they

do, what about the retainor/deposit? Do you return it, apply it to another date

or ask for a new one all together?

If you can shoot the wedding with a Nikonos and the law folks do not order you to pack up and depart, go for it.

...but a act of Nature is beyond the control of anyone: a refunded deposit would be up to you. Chances of a decent referral would be dim if you elect to keep the money (in my estimation.)

interesting question....

I would offer to apply it to another date. Chances are- if they cancel the wedding, they will want to reschedule it at some point. If not, I would offer a refund, all or partial, that I don't know. It's hard to say I guess. But I agree- nothing good will come of it if you keep all the money. Hopefully they'll reschedule their wedding and have you do the photos. Of course- there's the problem you could be booked for the new date.

I like Laura's answer. I think it's the ethical thing to do, irrespective of the legal thing.

The interesting challenge will be to decide 'how bad is bad'. Me personally, I'd say if the venue closes or if there's an official evacuation order, I'd say it's bad.

Given the tendency of folks to more often tell people how unhappy they are, and the need for good word-of-mouth, I'd probably err on the side of 'goodness'.

If you gotta leave town too, well, at least you didn't lose anything.

I'm not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV either.

It is my understanding this would be an act of God/Nature. I'm not sure about the retainer fee, but they would not be obligated for anything else.

I would assume the couple would still want to get married at another date. I would offer to rebook w/ same deal in a newly written contract. If date was taken then refund the money. In the off chance they decide to make other plans that don't include you then I would keep the retainer.

I'm in North Miami. After Katrina and Wilma blew through I went around my neighborhood and documented downed trees and other damage to houses and vehicles. The insurance adjusters were overwhelmed and people needed to clear things up. Generally the insurance companies will reimburse the homeowners for reasonable photography expense.

I'd let a couple reschedule and a give a refund if that isn't possible. The goodwill will help you in the long run.