Hunting for Eagles

Sandy Vongries

Not really! Had to run into town for a few things and along the way discovered that the Eagle Tree had blown down. This was just the greatest -- close enough to the road that you could park and set up to shoot from the right of way easment, so no trespassing or permission required. Over the last several years it provided lots of opportunities and photos -- Eagles, Cormorants, migrating birds turkey buzzards, etc. Main reason I bought the 600 mm 5.6 AI. I live in rural Montana, lots of space, not a lot of people. Could drive back roads at great length and not find as good a spot. Any tips from birders?

370809246_DSC_1360copy_4746DSC_1360copy.thumb.JPG.46f2ca045717fd18a8b73fcbaf5520ed.JPG

• Like 2

In a Civil War battlefield once, I came on a herd of photographers, all photographing a bald eagle nest. Clearly not an accident for them, but certainly for me.

I never have the right lens on the camera, but here is a Wabash Valley Bald Eagle with its fish:

New-Harmony-140417-4-319-Bald-Eagle-wFish-cr.thumb.jpg.8b507d746b4f3172421ec80d86eed96a.jpg

24-105mm lens!

• Like 3

I passed the tree site last evening and lo and behold a herd of shiny late model vehicles, stylishly dressed photogs, numerous tripods, fancy cameras,and long lenses -- guess is that word on the tree hadn't gotten out. About all they had was a flock of Canada Geese, nice countryside and an excellent sunset. They were hard at it, so making the best of things!

I passed the tree site last evening and lo and behold a herd of shiny late model vehicles, stylishly dressed photogs, numerous tripods, fancy cameras,and long lenses -- guess is that word on the tree hadn't gotten out. About all they had was a flock of Canada Geese, nice countryside and an excellent sunset. They were hard at it, so making the best of things!

I used to share good locations, but stopped earlier this year. The herd of other photographers was bad enough, but then some pulled a fence down and trespassed on private property. That was the last straw for me. Whenever you gather ten or more photographers, there always seem to be one or two that think it's okay to do anything to get their images. After those one or two break the law or rules, then about half of the rest think it's okay to follow. ;-(

• Like 2