Hunkering Down

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Sanford, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Judging by the high volume of traffic on the forums, a lot of folks must be staying in today. The streets in my touristy little corner of the world look practically deserted.

ericphelps and Tony Parsons like this.
  2. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

There are latitudes, yet please remember - "This Forum was created to allow general discussion of Photography Topics that are not better suited to any other Forum.

Thank you.

Sanford likes this.
  3. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Thought I'd try my hand at street photography today. Surprisingly easy - none of the streets were obscured by humans.

4. To get good photos of streets, I use really long exposures, on the order of 15 minutes, with a re-purposed solar eclipse filter. Practically everybody disappears, except for other street photographers, who remain still long enough to register.

5. They just closed my gym so I will be doing a lot more walking/street photography in the next few weeks at least.

6. I appreciate the support for my post. I was, of course, deliberately conflating "street photography" with photography of streets. Nonetheless a 13+ stop neutral filter opens up opportunities to photograph normally crowded areas. The Chicago "Bean" is never without visitors, even well into the evening. This was a 12-13 minute exposure, and notice that the only subject visible is a photographer (lower right).

The trick is to get the camera high enough that you can see spaces between people. Despite putting the tripod on a picnic table, everyone here appears on the same level. Notice that the reflection in the sculpture is from a high angle, and shows an apparently empty plaza. It is less sharp than I hoped, mainly because several people climbed on the same picnic table with their iPhones, before park docents cleared them off.

_DSC6715.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  7. Without visitors the bean is much less interesting.

Gerald Cafferty and samstevens like this.
  8. That's the difference between "Street Photography" and photography of streets ;) Works for bridges too.

Ludmilla and Ricochetrider like this.
  9. the street around my place were deserted Friday- because every single person was at the grocery store, Costco, & the farmers markets!

edit: photo for illustrative purposes only- not actual reality

P8170165.jpeg

Jon Eckman, Supriyo, m42dave and 4 others like this.
  10. I read that Isaac Newton Isaac (not yet Sir) was in his early 20s when the Great Plague of London hit in 1665. He was a student at Cambridge, which sent students home to continue their studies. He practiced "social distancing" by retreating to his family's estate in the countryside for over a year, where he produced some of his most famous work. First, he laid down the fundamentals of calculus, and then optics (photographic optics are mostly Newtonian geometric optics). Outside his window was the famous apple tree that helped inspire his theory of gravity, although the story of how Newton sat under the tree, was bonked on the head by an apple and suddenly understood theories of gravity and motion, is largely apocryphal.

So, if you have a bored college student who is suddenly back living at home, as is the case with several of my friends, remind them of Sir Isaac.

11. Newton (and his experiments in Optics) feature heavily in Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson (1st book in the Baroque Cycle trilogy).

12. I don't think Schrodinger had a dead cat either.

13. But surely Einstein riding in a moving tram looking at the clock in the stationary bell tower and noticing that it was going slower than his pocket watch is the true story of how he came up with Special Relativity.

14. He might just be ok with the apocryphal.

15. No, his cat was half dead and half alive. At least until someone looked.

16. Not for long anyway.......

17. Nostalgic Fun on a rainy cloistered day.....

Glenn McCreery and Sanford like this.
  18. I find this film to be a well presented introduction to frames of reference. I like the rotating table as an effective stage for performing experiments. You can briefly see, at about 21 minutes into the film, what powers the stage, a man pushing it in circles. Modern special effects and color might be more entertaining, but I doubt that they can be any more effective in conveying the basic concepts described in this old movie.

19. Inspiring, but Newton’s advantage was, he didn’t have Netflix, or email. :)

Charles_Webster and Jon Eckman like this.