Humidity in Caves

User_2000406

<p>It seems like there are some differences of opinion online on how serious of a problem the high humidity levels in caves are for camera gear. I have seen recommendations that one should not change lenses, for instance. In my case I'll be visiting a "developed" cave, namely Carlsbad Caverns, and only on the tourist paths- no crawling around in the mud, etc. Humidity in this cave is reported to be 90% which is high but not extreme.</p>

<p>So the two lenses I'd like to use on my D7000 are my Nikon 12-24 (or perhaps the Tokina 11-16) and the Nikon 16-85. I expect to use the wide zoom most of the time but the mid-zoom may come in handy for isolating particular features, particularly at a distance. Assuming that my gear is gradually brought to the temperature of the cave, would an occasional lens change subsequently really be an issue (assuming I keep the camera and lens protected from drips during the change)?</p>

<p>Lens change should not make a difference. As pointed out, the risk is moisture in the air condensing in the camera if the camera is colder than the air temperature. The camera is not air tight, so no matter if you change lenses or not, you have to make sure the cold camera is not exposed to warm humid air. If you bring in the camera on a cold winter day you could have an issue. Keep in mind that on any rainy day in the summer, the humidity is like what you describe. </p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. </p>

<p>Actually, given the time of year (and depending on the time of day we enter the cave) the cave could be warmer than the outside in which case condensation onto the relatively cold camera from the moist air of the cave could occur if I'm not careful. Alternately, I may need to pay attention to this issue upon leaving the cave, though with the outside environment being fairly arid (and cool dry weather predicted) this should not be a big problem.</p>

<p>I visited Mammoth Cave back in April 1994 and August 1996 but I have no recollection of how I handled my gear. Active portions of that cave are extremely humid but so is the outside air in summer. Whatever happened, my trusty Nikon FE must have taken it in stride.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I've been shooting in caves for the last two years and have not had a problem with condensation only once out of 30+ caves. I also switch lens all the time (macro and then extension tubes) mostly off trail work. The above responses are correct as far as temperature, let your camera adjust for a while if at all possible. If your in the caves all the time the dust eventually becomes an issue, but it doesn't sound like your going in that often.<br>

You can see examples of my cave photos at CaveLifePhoto.com</p>