Huge 5x7 metal rotating back with ‘reflex’ mirror BEHIND ground glass?

murrayatuptown

Hello

I had to create a new account...so I have to wait for account approval of uploaded images.

I’m trying to identify a just-purchased unidentified 5x7 rotating spring back with ground glass and a tilting cover that has a reflex mirror BEHIND the GG, between the GG and tilting cover.

It is very simple but every feature is functional.

It is huge, making me wonder if it was a reducing back for a larger camera or for a commercial copy/process camera...maybe one that operated vertically...that might make the ground glass viewer mirror useful.

The filmholder is created from steel angle stock, the cover with mirror is also steel, and the rest is 1/8” aluminum plate. The rotation is accomplished via 4 rounded corners on a squareish footprint. Since I don’t have the camera I’m not sure whether it actually rotates or is removable to reinsert rotated 90 degrees.

There are two half-circle ‘locking knobs’ that would engage the lip of a tab above a recessed cavity the back would sit inside.

All black wrinkletex paint, black felt light seal inside.

The ground glass & mirror mounts and filmholder light trap plate are all implemented with simple aluminum strips...all

additive features rather than grooves/slots removed.

Possibly too simply functional to burden with the tag ‘primitive’.

Thanks for reading & looking when the posted inaged are available,

Thannk you

Murray

Murray

Hi Murray,

It would help to see a picture of it so it can be identified by the more experienced LF users here. but we can patiently await your approval I guess.

Whats the distance between locks? It very well may be a reducing back.

I once had a customer ask me to build similar 4x5 mirrored viewers for his LF club using first surface mirror. The mirrors worked very nicely when viewed from above. I myself have found it very useful in the field since I like my camera mounted low. Having the image right side up helps me compose much easier. What I find annoying is when I want to remove it for critical focusing off the GG. Im working on a better way to mount my mirror for easier removal.

The more you say, the less people listen.

Ron, I have a couple of Cambos (2x3, 4x5) and have both Cambo reflex viewers for the 4x5 and a Horseman reflex viewer for the 2x3. None of this is any help to you 'cos all attach to the backs. But some makers of 4x5 cameras offer reflex viewers with a hinge at one end so that the viewer can be swing out of the way. If you look around you should find pictures, instructions, ... And then steal the idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Ron & Dan...

I will take pictures. I had .png images I couldn’t upload...first I thought because they were not mine (from eBay listing), but probably because they were png.

The thing arrived...it must be for a non-portable camera...I could hardly hold it up with one hand...steel & aluminum plates...speaking of reducing, that’s literally what I did to it...removed the oversized baseplate and non-essential plates. Now it will fit the camera I hoped to fit it on. I will also steal the idea to make a lighter one of wood construction. What remains is still partially angle iron!

Murray

Murray, thanks for the pictures.

Reflex viewer? Probably not. All the thing has in common with the reflex viewers I've (Cambo, monocular and binocular; Horseman monocular for 2x3; Sinar binocular) is a mirror.

The reflex viewers I've see are light tight, have more-or-less fixed mirrors and ocular lenses. See MF & LF Reflex Finders

I have no idea what your monster is

Both good answers. Thanks.

Intent was to put it on my first Franken-Cam (film) started years ago, derailed by errors, sidelined by Franken-Cam II-VI (digital-just microphone hacks).

I forgot about Epi-whoever..I bought one for the lens and took the rusty metal housing etc. to the dumpster so quickly I don’t remember much about its mechanics other than the doghouse-like appearance...well, doghouse with a cyclops in it.

Murray