Hoya filters product line confusion

patrick_p

I'm looking to get a new polarizing filter. I'm a little confused with the Hoya product line. I see they have an EVO and I also see a Fusion Antistatic. These seem to be the same where the EVO is for US and Fusion Antistatic for Europe. Does anyone know if these are in fact the same? On Amazon the Fusion Antistatic is a lot less expensive which tells me they are not.

On a different note, I'm also considering the B+W XS-Pro HTC Kaesemann with Nano Coating. Seems this is on par with the Evo. Any thoughts?

B+W is my preferred brand. Their glass is cut from a block, ground and polished, and the rings are machined from brass (smoother than aluminum, non-galling). A Kaesemann filter is sealed at the edges, hence water can't get between the elements and ruin the filter. I have several sizes and varieties, with and without the Nano coating. I try not to touch the surface or let dogs lick it ;) Water may bead on the surface, but that would yield strange results if left that way. Alcohol swabs, a lens brush and microfiber cloth are de regeuer accessories.

It looks as though Hoya have done some renaming recently? I've had no problems with their HD filter line (although I wouldn't like to promise that I'm discerning), but my default photo vendor in the UK has "Ultra pro" listed as their high end, above Pro1. I believe only their "HD" (or possibly "Ultra pro" these days) polariser is the high transmission version - the Fusion line is coated against damage, but blocks more light. For what it's worth, to save money, I have a couple of "fusion" UV filters (or possibly just protection filters), but my polarisers are HD. Maybe (at least if it's more expensive) "Evo" is whatever they've decided to start calling HD (or HD nano) where you're looking? My polariser was bought before "HD nano" was a thing - it seems to be distinguished by having tougher coatings that don't scratch. I don't think I've ever scratched a polariser anyway (except possibly the ridiculously expensive Nikon rear drop-in one for my 200mm f/2 - I've not dared look closely), but it seems to be an incremental improvement.

I've heard only good things about B+W, they're just a bit rarer and more expensive in the UK than Hoya - or were when I was last buying.

Heliopan filters are comparable to B+W, including brass constructions. Kaesemann filters use a registered design, belonging now to B+W. That said, I have several Hoya, even higher grade Tiffen filters which are perfectly satisfactory. IMO, polarizers are worth their weight in lenses. Every other use is secondary. Most lenses have plastic filter rings, so galling is no longer an issue.

There's probably good reason to see the B+W filters as technically superior, but I shoot with both B+H and Hoya and can't see any significant image quality differences among them.

However, I have verified that most commercial filters are better than bottle bottoms.

Here is an example of a water bottle (lime flavored) filter on a Sigma 15-30mm lens

1380181392_Sigma-15-30mm--bottle.jpg.99776bf703a12c697f53ae4561217573.jpg

• Like 1