How's AF-S 300/4 + TC20E

jemini_joseph

Hi Friends

I'm looking to replace my 600/5.6 AIS lens. This is an excellent

lens except this is not autofocus.

I'm looking for an autofocus alternative.

I thought about sigma 500/4.5 HSM (and still thinking about it). But

It's a hard to find lens.(used)

If you buy the new one the price goes down pretty quick.

Does anybody know AF-S 300/4 will autofocus with TC-20E? I will get

only f/8, but autofocus and close

focusing is a greate advantage. I take more birds and white tailed

deers. How's the optical quality?

In Nikon web-site TC-20E II is listed as compatible with AF-S 300/4

lens. Does that means it will autofocus?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Jemini

All Nikon AF bodies will AF at F/8, although Nikon never officially endorsed autofocusing at that aperture. My understanding is 300f/4 AF-S is specifically designed to present a extra-large exit pupil for its aperture, and as such should fare particularly well autofocusing at f/8.

Good enough for me :-). Actually there are lots of threads and info on these forums on the sharpness of lenses with any 2X teleconverter. Bob Atkins has a lot of knowledge and data, and the general theme of the discussions (if I can be so bold :-) is that with a 1.4x teleconverter, you will not notice much or any difference in sharpness, but with a 2X there will be "some" loss of sharpness. The debates get going around that "some" :)).

I have only used that combo occasionally (but I am dying to try it with my D100 now!), and the slides look great through a Schneider 6X loupe, but I have not printed any of these at a large size (much better test).

Paul,

You might want to think about sending you're F100 in to Nikon if the left and right sensors won't focus. In this combo I could use, top, bottom, and middle sensors but the left and right wouldn't focus. After an e-mail discussion they said all 5 sensors should work correctyly and to send it in. 8 days later I had the F100 back and all 5 outer sensors worked as well as the middle sensor in all light (haven't tested below 1/15s @ f8 light levels). The only bummer is it was out of warranty and I had to pay for it.

Scott