How would you guys feel about being merged?

philg

How would you all feel about being merged into "Classic Cameras" or possibly

"Canon SLRs" (merging EOS and FD)? We're trying to do a forums reorg and

simplify things for new users. This forum is too lively to be deactivated, but

if many people here are frequent participants in some other forum of the site,

it might make sense to make the archives and the discussion (especially as your

moderator hasn't chosen to categorize the threads, you aren't losing any

information).

So... What should it be?

1) leave this alone; we love it!

2) move into Classic Cameras

3) move into Canon EOS and rename that "Canon SLRs"

Please respond here in the forum.

Thanks,

Philip

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave this alone. Canon FD threads would be burried in EOS, and many of us are still using our FD mount cameras daily, not just as collectors items as is the case with many of the "Classic Cameras" participants. Also, as they were in production up until about 1990, the FD systems are hardly "pre-1970"

Philip, I am a Canon user, both FD and EOS. The EOS forum is nowadays mainly about digital, it would be difficult to find FD threads in a merged forum. Is it an idea to make a manual focus forum? I hardly ever look into Minolta/Nikon/Olympus/Pentax manual focus but I have the impression that these don't receive much attention as well. Perhaps a combination of these will work?

I associate classic cameras too much with Contax/Leica/rangefinders. I don't think classic cameras is a good place for Canon FD.

Leave this alone!

Like the previous posters have said, moving Canon FD into the EOS forum would lose a lot of the specificity and blur things quite a bit (not to mention EOS users who may or may not have experience with the FD line contributing less-than-accurate information). Also, as previously mentioned, most Canon FD equipment was manufactured after 1970 - so that wouldn't quite fit into the category of Classic Cameras.

Leave it as is.

While I do read both the Classic Camera and EOS forum daily, I think that this forum has its place.

The FD mount was introduced with the F-1 and FTb in 1971. By definition, the classic camera forum excludes all the FD equipment, and would only allow FL equipment. While most of the folks there aren't exactly sticklers about the 1970 date, I can't help but feel that many of them might not like frequent posts about all-electronic cameras like the A-1 and T90.

There's way too much traffic in the EOS forum, and I could easily see FD posts getting buried before they had sufficient exposure to get the answers they deserve.

I wouldn't move it to EOS because of the likelihood of confusion among many camera users (some of whom don't even know about FD manual focus cameras, or them being different from EOS AF cameras).

But given the low volume of discussions here, and the fact that FD systems are generally incompatible with EOS, I'd move it to Classic Cameras.

Leave it be if you would. Too many new camera users don't know the difference between EOS and FD. The equipment is too new to qualify for the Classic forum. If you must merge is the manual focus idea valid? thx for asking and listening. Lionel

Please, leave it alone.

Merged with eos it would only confuse eos owners as Fd'rs fluently talk about pre 1994 Canon equiptment.

FD equiptment was made thru 1994 when Canon abandoned it. With a 1994 cut off date I wonder how that fits with "classic cameras" theme?

Thanks! Lindy

Please leave this forum as it is. Canon manual focus cameras have nothing more in common with Canon EOS cameras than Nikon or Pentax cameras do. We've already been dumped by Canon, that's quite enough. ;-)

One thing that might help our visibility is putting a link to us back into the javascript menu. Now we're in html oblivion. It wouldn't surprise me if lots of new photo.net users are unaware of our existence.

As a newbie shutterbug, I say if it's not broke, don't fix it. I learned so much from this site. Much of it from reading this forum. It was a pleasure to come to this forum and see that there is a lot of people still using these cameras. I'm still trying to get a grip on the old technology never mind reading about magapixles and the like. My head would've really exploded! Leave it is. Thats my $0.02