How Wedding Photographers Market Their Business Today

nate_delucca

<p>First, let me disclaim to you, I'm a marketing guy. <br>

But, I'm a marketing guy who recently got engaged and needed a photographer for my wedding. <br>

Since my fiance was calling the shots for who to use, I let her pick. But then I sat her down and figured out why she decided to use who she used, went through all the steps she used in picking that person, and why she didn't go with others. <br>

The results will surprise a lot of you.<br>

It made me think though, that there are a lot of wedding photographers out there who are amazing at shooting weddings, but don't really know how to put themselves in front of the right people, the people that need photographers for their wedding. <br>

Why is this? Well surprisingly, it's simply that a lot of photographers don't really take the time to know their potential client, and how they go about searching for a wedding photographer on the internet. <br>

To help you, let me post a conversation I had with my fiance, and point out some specific marketing things that anyone can do to help themselves get found. <br>

Here's a little of what I found out through talking to her...<br>

<br />First, when my fiance walked me through how she found our photographer, she googled "Birmingham Wedding Photographer". This is what 95% of people do when looking for a photographer, they google "Wedding Photographer" and the city. While there are some websites that spend time and money trying to rank for the term "Wedding Photographer Birmingham", the first 7 results are called "Google Places" results. These are free results that people get for registering their business through google. Definitely do this. You don't even need to have a website for these. And all of these are ranked higher then the people spending money ranking their websites! Since they're first, her eyes naturally go to these first. <br />Next I asked her what do you look for first. Well, she ignores the ads (don't waste your money if you don't have it), and first looks for the photography sites that have a name listed in the title, and clicks on their sites first. That's her first criteria, selecting a site that has a full name. So if you have a site called birmingham wedding photographer, she wont even give your site a click. <br />Once she opens a site, if the site feels old or cheesy, she's out. Gone, no looking back. This is why I recommend word-press for your site, with almost no effort you can find a new look for your site and update it, and never miss out because you're site looks dated. If she likes the site design, she checks out the main photo posted on the site. If she doesn't like that, she's out. Make that photo count people! It sounds harsh, but make that a picture of an attractive person. It really makes a difference!<br />Next, she looks for recent albums. It's all about what have you done lately, and how good it is. The latest trend is no "posed" shots (in her mind it's the latest trend anyway), so she's looking for the artsy, interesting shots. If the last wedding taken has all cheesy posed shots, she's out. <br />She will check facebook fan pages for photographers she likes, so if you're posting a recent wedding shoot there, keep doing it, it's working! Same with twitter (although not a often). Blogs are a huge plus, because it's an easy way of saying look what I've done lately. Social media is great for photographers. Websites matter in certain ways, just don't let it hurt your business. <br>

<br />Take a lot of the notes I've suggested with a grain of salt though, this is just one person giving their comments. But it's one person that got a nice paying wedding gig from this.</p>

<p><br /><strong>Ok, now I need some help!</strong> I want to get your thoughts on all of this. Please post back your feedback. Let me know how things go from your perspective. I mean marketing is not black and white, so little variables change everything, so I know everyone has different experiences, let's hear some!</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Good basic info, thank you posting.</p>

<p>At what point did she evaluate the price to value ratio? How many photographers did she put on the shopping list for consideration? How many fell off that list due to price? Did her choices feature pricing on their website? How did she make initial contact with her choices? Was it an e-mail blast to many, with her wedding date and package pricing requests (which is common)? How many photographers did she meet in person before selecting? What was the final criteria after those meetings? If she didn't meet with photographers, why?</p>

<p>Did she inquire if the photographer had adequate experience, equipment and insurance? ... this tends to be calculated in relation to the pricing, sometimes the price/value ratio looks good until something breaks, or an accident happens. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>IMO, many new photographers and most marketing guys over-estimate the value of online marketing for local studios. Most established, successful studios generate lots of WOM from former clients, their families/guests, other wedding vendors, officiants and others with a personal history with a specific studio. The online presence can serve as a convenient showcase of images and information. Studios which primarily serve out-of-town clientèle or do destination weddings would be a different niche than most and would likely benefit directly the most from online marketing strategies.</p>

<p>Geez Dave, if you're going to criticize a guy for sharing his personal experiences, at least you could spell your criticisms correctly. "Incite" = insight. "Advise" = advice.</p>

<p>Even if it's one bride, the information is useful. I don't agree on the web site name but most of the rest is spot on. I'd be interested to hear the answers to Marc W's questions.</p>

<p>Dave G.--to be fair, Nate gave a disclaimer about the info coming from only one person, and he is asking for your opinion.</p>

<p>I also recently interviewed one person about the process of finding a photographer from a prospective bride's viewpoint, and she pretty much gave the same answers as Nate's fiance. Even so, that is only 2 people.</p>

<p>I would also like to know the answers to Marc's very complete list of questions.</p>

<p>Referrals are still important, IMHO, however, not as strong as before. A bride may get a very strong referral or was even part of a wedding party photographed by a specific wedding photographer, and she may still look around and end up with another photographer. Why? Because she can do so easily these days.</p>

<p>Anyway, it is good to listen to all kinds of marketing info and advice, not so that one can do things one way all the time, but to expand one's knowledge so that one can figure one's own path.</p>

<p>Thanks to those who have chosen to entertain me in this discussion...<br>

Marc, to answer some of your questions, my fiance informed me that she had an initial budget of $2500, which she thought put her in the low side of things for the Birminghan market, and explored options of those who had prices listed on his or her website. She didn't do an email blast, but contacted the first person on her list that had the style and professionalism she was looking for. Since we don't live close to Alabama, she couldn't meet in person. After the date not lining up for the photographer that was her first and second choice, she ended up connecting via facebook with her third choice, and saw she had a mutual friend who had used her, which weighed heavily in her final decision, after she established that this person met her other criteria.<br>

Interesting to note Marc that the value of "equipment and insurance" didn't really play into the decision at all. I'm wondering if this is a lack of education of the general public about these topics. It's an effective way to separating yourself from some if you can prove to them these things matter. In the case of my fiance, it didn't. I can't imagine this being a good thing to not be aware of, but we didn't see a lot of photographers making it an issue (or as big of an issue as it probably needs to be). What's your experience with people's knowledge of them? Do you have to educate them on what to look for? All she cared about was if the final product met her artistic and professional needs within a price she had hoped for. Maybe it's a way of finding a niche for yourself, seeing how you'd want to stay away from people who aren't educated on this matter. Or maybe not, what are your thoughts?<br>

David, marketing guys pretty much over-estimate the value of online marketing for just about everyone, not just local studios. It's just what we do! But local studios aren't necessarily the only target market, as it seems more and more the amateur photographers see wedding photography as their in to some side income. I've personally known 3 people who's weddings were shot by amateurs looking to break into the field. Great point about the out-of-town clientele using more online methods to find someone though, I hadn't thought of that. <br>

Also, while WOM and personal/business recommendations feeding so much of the leads for established, successful studios, I wonder if that will be the trend in the future as well. I know I check pretty much any city's craigslist postings and see dozens if not hundreds of wedding photographers looking for business. (Which btw if I was marketing to this field would be the first place I would go to find clients for myself). I'm sure craigslist has worked for some, as most people don't keep doing things that don't work for them, which means it is finding them business leads. Are they good leads? Chances are no. But if you're trying to get more business, it is a free way of doing so.<br>

I wonder what percentage of wedding photographers are booked by a bride or mother of the bride? and how much does social media feeds into this decision? As time goes on and the younger generations who grew up with facebook and twitter start making decisions, how much of their social proof relies with the online world. While it seems a strong personal recommendation is pretty much gold in the photography world, it's interesting to see if where people find and verify that recommendation trends towards the online world like other fields have been going.<br>

Everyone has their marketing plans and systems that work for them now, but if you don't evolve, you might not be around forever. I'm in the post production audio field. Back in the day, TV audio was something only a handful of people could do, due to expensive equipment and access to clients. Now anyone can throw up something in their basement for barely any cost and do a quality of work that earn them gigs. Some places stayed the course, stuck to their guns, evolved some and are still around today. Most aren't though, having been phased out by a younger generation doing things easier faster cheaper. Just wondering if the same thing is happening to the wedding photography world. I mean, like most of you, I hold the image of myself as a professional in what I do, and put my work up against any person anywhere, LA, NY. But that doesn't mean I'll stay in business if they don't see my value vs cost (as Marc was saying). So as more amateurs sneak into the market because the can cheaper, how does that change the market for wedding photographers?<br>

And Mr. Dave Gardner, did you not read where I wrote "Take a lot of the notes I've suggested with a grain of salt though, this is just one person giving their comments." I even put that in it's own paragraph so people wouldn't miss it. In case you forgot, this is a FORUM, defined as "a public meeting place for open discussion", and I called myself a marketing guy, not a marketing expert as to purposely not threaten anyone here. I'm trying to say you don't know how to do your job or I know more then you do about finding clients. If you read what I wrote, you would obviously know that I don't know this field, but wanted to offer up some thoughts from someone outside of it to see what people say. It's based on a marketer's line of thinking, not a photographers so it shows you a different side of things. Yes, it's based on one person's opinions, but it's all I had at the time, and it represents $3000 to someone in your field. If you want to grow as a professional, you'll take data like this and use it. And if you don't, well keep doing what you're doing, I really don't care. No need to get all worked up about it though, you're not the only one on this forum. Skip the post if you're not into it!</p>

<p>I'll just touch on a couple of issues. Oh and Nate, please try to use a few paragraphs! While I appreciate you taking the time to write a long post like this, It's hard to read as one long paragraph! (on this forum, you have to hit enter twice to create a new paragraph)</p>

<p>First, how they feel about the name issue in a Google search. In my market, I decided to forgo the usual www.johndoestudios.com because I thought, who the heck knows John Doe? It's going to take constant effort to stay on page one of searches. So I chose to use my region AKA: www.[region]weddingphotography.com<br /> In the short snippet under the web name address in the search, my name does appear though. The page is always at the top of page one in almost anything related to weddings in my region. Since my Facebook page and Blog share the same name, they are on page 1 as well.</p>

<p>For me I think it works in 2 ways. Each page one slot is valuable real estate. People normally don't search past page one or two unless they really have to. So I'm 'pushing down' other photographers by occupying 3 spots on page one. Plus I don't have to spend any money or waste time trying to keep ahead of the pack. The URL and Metadata does all the work for me.</p>

<p>Also, I'm in your face if you're looking for any type of wedding info in either a regular search or in Google images which is also important. Brides look at pictures a lot to get ideas. So she might be looking for wedding cakes in my region and there I am again at the top of the search.</p>

<p>Oh and a 3rd thing, It doesn't matter what word configuration she tries, I'm always at the top of the list. I've tried this myself many times on other computers (so cache memory won't skew the results) or by doing a "Private Browsing session" in Firefox. I see my web site at the top of the list as long as she uses [region] and "wedding" in the search terms. In fact I'm on page one if it's just [region] + "photos" without the word wedding included.</p>

<p>I don't know what other photographers stats are like here, but I get approx 75-100 hits a day on the site. In fact email traffic is gotten to the point I needed a smart phone so I could stay in touch when I'm not in front of the computer. So someone's clicking through even if my name is not the studio name or web address.</p>

<p>Second was the budget she had. Was that just for the photographers time? Did it include any prints or Album? What was she getting for her $2500? You also said "initial". Did her budget change?</p>

<p>A few things to note in your last post. Equipment and insurance are big. Does the shooter have backup gear? Is it lower end consumer lenses and bodies or pro grade equipment? This is something we need to educate our brides with. I list the gear I use on my site and discuss it a little but honestly I don't think anyone reads that page. I get asked what I have for cameras a fair amount.</p>

<p>As much as some hate doing it, Facebook and an active blog are important. If you aren't talking about or posting recent work, then you aren't showing a prospect that you are 'in the game'. She wants to see your style and quality now, not from the 3 year old gallery on your web site. I've had brides book me 18 months out and periodically email that they liked the wedding I just posted. They were following my activities until their wedding day! Plus blog photos are often not the cherry picked shots from dozens or hundreds of weddings. They are a glimpse into a more complete wedding on it's own. On a web gallery, you might pick 1 or 2 shots from that wedding but on a blog post you might put up 50 or so.</p>

<p>I get approx 30 weddings a year and emails regularly asking about prices, dates and so on. So in an over-saturated market where studios who have been here longer (I relocated 5 years ago but have been doing this 20+ years), I'm doing much better than most. So I found her comment that the name was that important.</p>

<p>I think your insight is pretty much right on, and it's good to know that bride's don't go straight to the pricing page, which for better or worse is pretty much the first place I go when researching a service I'm looking to purchase. As far as the mix of online and offline advertising, I think both are very important. I get about an equal number of weddings from my website and referrals from friends, former clients and vendors. However, anybody who books me has looked at my website, so it is by far the #1 marketing tool I spend my time on. </p>

<p>I'm glad to hear the recent work is important, since I put a good deal of effort into keeping my albums and blog up to date.</p>

<p>Pete Z....incite and advise is actually what i meant to say. Don't you get it?</p>

<p>Nadine..."take notes"....asking for our opinion...i beg to differ. I see it as making a clear statement....based upon assumption.</p>

<p>If your going to open the question with "I'm a marketing guy"...as though that adds to the validation of your statement. At least have the data to back it up...and not lead people down a path...expecting 'well he is a marketing guy' type resolve. Funny that the disclaimer wasn't at the beginning. I'm surprised it wasn't in small print.</p>

<p>"Take a lot of the notes I've suggested with a grain of salt though, this is just one person giving their comments. "<em><strong>But"</strong></em> it's one person that got a nice paying wedding gig from this."</p>

<p>There's always a "BUT" in there when someone is trying to convince you. My opinion.</p>

<p>Quibbling over words or the sharing of info is a waste of time IMO ... the fellow shared something that's worth discussion I think, don't you?</p>

<p>Nate, I asked a few questions fully knowing the answer ... no, clients do not take business credentials very seriously, probably out of ignorance I'm sure. It was a bit related to the price issue because the focus is on the photos, and not on the infrastructure that is part of business. It does put some more responsible wedding photographers at a disadvantage, because things like business insurance, including liability coverage, and redundant photography equipment is the cost of doing business that some, perhaps more than one would expect these days, do not do.</p>

<p>It just doesn't occur to clients, but the unknown aspect is ... is it just assumed? At one time, that assumption would have been fairly valid ... but I'm not so sure it is valid any more ... like those three amateurs looking to break into the business that you mentioned.</p>

<p>In my market (Metro Detroit), price is an over arching issue ... probably THE issue. Champagne dreams and a beer budget has become the norm rather than the exception Couple that with those who skip the business infrastructure and price their service based on "earning some extra pocket change" by shooting weddings, and it has made this profession a lot harder to maintain professional standards. I've been doing this for a while, and I've never seen it this bad ... people call all enthused over the work, and when told the price for all of the time, quality, service and deliverables they expect ... you never hear back, not even a courtesy e-mail. Someone obviously was willing to do it all on a beer budget. </p>

<p>The other aspect, that seems to fall on deaf client ears today, it that of consistency ... what is the unknown here is the criteria of choice ... what does it mean "meets her artistic and professional needs"? For example, my assistant is approached to shoot weddings probably more than I am because of her social connections and age group. People love her work with families and kids. However, she has the good sense to know there is a LOT more to it than that ... and refers those inquiries to me. </p>

<p>I'm not sure what the answers are, but I'm sure they differ greatly by geographical area, and what price level any given photographer works at.</p>

<p>Thanks for the thought provoking post.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for chiming in Peter, you had some great stuff to say. (I was wondering why my posts didn't quite space out like everyone else's. Thanks for filling in the new guy!).</p>

<p>From what I've seen, you've laid out the best online marketing plan, and have the results to back up your efforts. Thanks for sharing that with us. When you mentioned that you're ranking for google images (which gets more hits than you would think. I have a tattoo site that gets about 1200 hits a day just through image traffic alone), it reminded me of a couple sites my fiance mentioned. "Style me pretty" and "the knot" are both sites she would look through with the full intent of clicking on wedding pictures she liked, and finding out who took them. I don't know how popular a technique this really is, but it's another avenue to consider if you're looking for another avenue. </p>

<p>You also seemed to really hit the nail on the head with the facebook and blog stuff. Not only do you understand it and execute it, but you see great results from it. Glad to see the success Peter!</p>

<p>As far as the budget, I just assumed it changed because literally everything we looked at for the wedding ended up costing more than what we had budgeted for. Funny how that works. I'll try and see what the invoice listed as far as items, but her being the bride, she simply found the person she wanted and forwarded the invoice to her mom. I'll see if I can't track that down and see exactly what was included. I could be mistaken, but I believe the price comes with an album and even an assistant (2nd shooter), has she arrives 3 hours before the ceremony and goes through the reception. I'll try to confirm all of that though, and if the price held at $2500. </p>

<p>Marc, sorry to say you got a tough break with the market you're in. It's a shame, you sound like a consummate professional trying to attract customers that don't appreciate what you do. Have you ever tried aiming your marketing towards the higher end crowd? I mean, if you used qualifiers like "high end" or whatever else suites your business in your ads, you might not have to deal with all the negative responses from people who can't see the quality in what you do. </p>

<p>I've heard from many professionals in the post production world (yes, I'll disclaim that this is a completely different world than photography) that once they raised their prices well past what the normal was for their market, their freelance business exploded with business. It's about perceived value, and in your case it sounds like you have the actual value to back it up. Just a thought. </p>

<p>Dave, you're almost making this too easy now. Check the category of the forum we're in (page one of this thread, right hand side). It's "Marketing." Yes, we are having a marketing discussion in the category called, "Marketing." Seems pretty logical to me. Oh and get this, it's the fourth largest category in this forum. Yep, fourth... largest... out of... 30 categories. Sounds like other people like talking about it too. </p>

<p>Anyway, seriously, best of luck Dave in your photography business, and whatever you decide to do next.</p>

<p>And for the rest of you, if you don't mind, another question while I still have some brilliant minds chiming in. Has anyone had any success with using video to promote their business? It seems like a logical fit, but one that doesn't quite provide the results that would be expected. Anyone have any experience with this? </p>

<p>Nate, this is the first in-depth discussion regarding wedding marketing ... here, or on other high traffic wedding sites for professional wedding photographers.</p>

<p>Your assumption as to aiming at "High-End" weddings is obvious, and while jacking up prices may work in some categories, I would contend that isn't a major motivator in this one ... word-of-mouth professional reputation and "status" aspects with-in that societal strata are more important, and price is secondary. Perceived value has <strong>more</strong> components than Talent/style, how many photos, hours and material deliverables per dollar. On the Digital Wedding Forum, such shooters are referred to a "Rock Star" wedding photographers, and not because they shoot rock star weddings.</p>

<p>The vast majority of shooters exist in the mid-level strata, and that has been heavily impacted by the influx of shooters who operate on a razor thin profit margin and with no safety net. It is the law of averages at work here ... because anyone who does this long enough knows that eventually, something will go wrong, and luck favors the prepared. </p>

<p>It should be noted that getting a lot of hits on a website is no indicator of anything ... obviously traffic is key to getting the chance to get sales, however high volume of sales can be an indication of under-valuing talent and experience in any given market, just as much as being an actual value based on talent and experience at an appropriate price structure.</p>

<p>The budget your fiance' used is probably a good national average, and what the final pricing was would be most interesting. If it remained at $2,500. and one backed out all the fixed costs ... cost of amortizing gear, album design and production, sales time and fixed web costs, insurance (if any), shooting time (which seems open-ended in this case), digital processing time ... and the fact that there are only so many wedding days per year ... the profit level can get pretty thin looking ... unless it is just a passion outlet and/or source of supplementary income.</p>

<p>From my experience, interpersonal dynamics has come into play in the past few years more than in past. In my local network, many wedding photographers have experienced an odd phenomena where people make an appointment, and never show up ... no phone call or e-mail to cancel, delay, or otherwise. I think it is because people forward the notion of the meeting to others in their social group or family, or even to their fiance', and they bristle at paying so much for photography suggesting a friend who shoots nice pictures, or a friend of a friend who had nice stuff shot for their wedding at half the price ... usually a weekend warrior with a full time job. </p>

<p>Polls taken here and elsewhere indicate most advertising is a waste of money, and any real success comes from working the wedding network with inter-vendor reciprocal recommendations, venue recommendations, keeping contact with previous clients, wedding planners, and working one's own social network ... including getting clients to tout your talent and service on their facebook page. </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>"After<em> the date not lining up for the photographer that was her first and second choice, she ended up connecting via facebook with her third choice, and saw she had a mutual friend who had used her, which weighed heavily in her final decision, after she established that this person met her other criteria." -Nate</em><br>

And I rest my case.....there's the personal connection that I was speaking of.</p>

<p>For years I've echoed the not-so-new business mantra: "Better, cheaper, faster" and yes there's plenty of amateurs breaking into the field and "craiglist" shooters and plenty of brides that will trust someone like this to photograph their wedding. (BTW, referring to someone as a "craiglist shooter" is often in and of itself considered a derogatory term) You can likely find some that are OK with putting disposable cameras on each table and leaving it at that. However, there are still plenty of brides that are more cautious about who they'll trust with recording one of the most important events in their lives. And I believe that these discerning brides need to have a personal connection that google hits and online accessibility does not provide.</p>

<p>Also, since your bride was in the out-of-town niche that I originally referenced, I would suspect that would create a more favorable relationship to online activity.....<br>

If you take a look at my comments in the below threads on "cross-promoting with other vendors" and in "approaching wedding coordinators", you'll notice that I emphasize personal relationships rather than superficial online links. Website and google "hits" do not necessarily correlate to booked weddings. In fact with all the newbies in the field many of the hits are actually new shooters "shopping" your website to gage the price market and their established competition.</p>

<p>BTW, agree with Marc 100% on his comments above.</p>

<p>At $2500 with an album (assuming something of quality and not a Sam's Club/Apple store coffee table book) and a second shooter for full day coverage, it's a slim deal for the photographer. It may be a price that is the national average (although not with these extras included) but that doesn't mean it's a sustainable level. If they are paying a fair rate to the 2nd, running the business legitimately (taxes, insurance, correct gear and a dozen other factors) there' isn't much left at the end of the day. In fact, they probably could make more personal income at almost any other type of work.</p>

<p>I completely agree with Dave and Marc above. Although my earlier post only referenced the 'name issue' on a Google search, networking as described above is equally important and may become more so in the future. There once was a time when the bride chose her photographer before any other vendor and the shooter was "known" in their local community. Her second choice was the venue and she'd juggle the 2 to get the dates to line up if need be. Now, with so much choice, I've been the last vendor on her list to be hired.</p>

<p>Today being "known" in your community is tough. Studios open and close frequently (I'm in a relatively small market and the city is 30,000). We've had 2 open in the last 12 months and 4 close. Established shooters have their studios in their basements now instead of on a high traffic street because the business rent is just unsustainable. Being known in your market is more "virtual" than having a physical street address now.</p>

<p>Dave S. commented on the importance some do and don't put on photography. That's always been the case to a degree, mixed with their budget limits. Some simply don't have the means or desire to have a bigger wedding. Some are on a beer budget with champagne taste. There's a joke in the business that "Uncle Bob" got another wedding from me. It's code from a prospective bride that she either actually did get a friend or relative to do it free or simply hired a less expensive shooter and doesn't want to discuss it with you further. They do it by email even if you've been discussing over the phone or in person. I've had 2 of these just this week and the 2 emails are nearly identical.</p>

<p>As for networking locally, it's important and that's because the photographer isn't the first or second vendor to be hired. I've got good relationships with cake vendors, flower shops, a couple WC's and venues. Working with those people has been important. I've gotten bookings from the cake or flower shop which although nice, saddens me. The cake or flowers are (or used to be) the last things to be chosen. Partly because a flower shop can service any number of weddings on the same day unlike the photographer or venue that can only host one reception per day. So the choice of a flower shop is not nearly as critical to be secured as a vendor who can only do one wedding on a Saturday.</p>

<p>Certainly quite a bit of my web traffic and emails are new shooters checking me out. Like the "Uncle Bob" emails, I get these similar sounding price emails and these people disappear the second you reply. In fact in the last 2 years, for the first time ever, I've booked appointments and waited around for someone who never had any plans to meet, they just wanted information.</p>

<p>But between the 2, networking hard and the online presence, have kept me going and allowed me to still get weddings at a sustainable level. It's questionable how long that will last. I've never worked harder in the last couple of years to stay relevant and noticed than ever before. One example is Facebook. I have no personal interest in it. I do keep in touch a little with my kids but if I didn't do what I do, I wouldn't even have an account or at least wouldn't use it as much as I do now. Pinterest is another. I have serious reservations about their copyright issues but it's the new way to waste time to stay visible. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>From my experience, interpersonal dynamics has come into play in the past few years more than in past. In my local network, many wedding photographers have experienced an odd phenomena where people make an appointment, and never show up ... no phone call or e-mail to cancel, delay, or otherwise. I think it is because people forward the notion of the meeting to others in their social group or family, or even to their fiance', and they bristle at paying so much for photography suggesting a friend who shoots nice pictures, or a friend of a friend who had nice stuff shot for their wedding at half the price ... usually a weekend warrior with a full time job.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>While the reason given above certainly is at play to some extent, I suggest that the main reason people don't show up or call to cancel, etc., is because business ettiquette --actually, any kind of ettiquette at all--has fallen by the wayside.</p>

<p>Clarify Nadine? Do you mean on the part of the business or the consumer?</p>

<p>I can't count how many times I've written an email that I've tried to address each question and carefully worded the answers. Then I never hear back from the reply. As I said earlier, I changed to a smart phone 18 months ago just to be able to respond quickly as many people expect answers nearly instantly. Even if I'm being price shopped, they don't even take the time to say thanks.</p>

<p>That may be true Nadine ... but I'm speaking more to why as opposed to whether they called or not. As to etiquette, it is something that happened rather abruptly ... a few years ago, this sort of thing was extremely rare ... to the point that if it happened at all you actually were worried that something bad happened to them. Now, you are a stood-up date sitting by the phone waiting for a call : -)</p>

<p>Anyway, it is something of a "Wild West" scenario the past few years, and I believe that part of it is the free-for-all pricing in a bad economy, and lack of over-all respect for the category in general as more and more shooters flood the market and use the same marketing language buzz words. It's become a cacophony of similarity like walking down a Midway with barkers at every stop along the way ... once you pay your money and step inside the tent to see the "real" attraction, it's too late ... LOL! </p>

<p> </p>

<p>OK, Here's the pricing package for our wedding shoot. I've been talking to my fiance about this stuff and she's kind of freaking out now. She was starting to doubt if she really wants to use this person, and now with all these questions I've been asking her from you guys, she's getting really nervous. She really wants to know what questions she should be asking right now. She's interested in getting the printing rights to her photos (I'm not sure what that means) as well as an actual album. She hasn't talked to the photographer about insurance or equipment as far as I know. Here's the incovice: </p>

<p>WEDDING PACKAGE ~ $2500.00 <br>

4 to 8 hours <br>

Engagement session <br>

2 shooters with an assistant <br>

Covers up to 8 hours of shooting <br>

A custom beautiful designed DVD with all edited images <br>

Online gallery to share with family & friends </p>

She's drafting an email now to the photographer, what should she be asking? I appreciate the help guys! I've been going through the posts and will comment back on a few things in a minute.

Oh, and Peter, i asked her, and the photographer was booked after the flowers and after the cake. I feel like we let you guys down!