How was this shot and edited?

Im curious how this was done in studio and how it was edited. I really like the skin shimmer and was wondering if this is something do able in photoshop or a mixture of makeup and lighting. [LINK Photographer: Xenia Lau]

-W

Moderator Note:

Please do not post images that you did not make, doing so contravenes the Terms of Use and User Guidelines of this site. Link to image has been inserted.

It is a function of skin surface efficiency that can be altered with makeup to either minimize or increase. The specular highlight to diffused (properly exposed) skin edge transfer reveals how smooth a surface is. (like shadow edge transfer reveals the hardness of the light) Shallow dof, eyes lips sharp, ears out of focus as is arm nearest to the camera. Skin not softened much if at all, more texture than I would like. Looks like rectangular soft box placed at camera right at about 45 degrees right and up from the catch lights. At first considered whether the light iris color was from a low reflector, but I don't think it is catch lights but instead either the color of her eyes or some work on them in post. That's my guess.

Bob do you think there was maybe a low spot behind her illuminating the seamless? For me, I like the un-softened look. In today's processing its too easy to get skin that looks like plastic though its a matter of degree and of course personal taste.

Looks more like the main light is spilling on the bg. It is darker camera right and with a grid if the main is aimed at her or feathered to camera left it could explain the darker area on the r side of the background and lighter on the left side. Personally, if I have the time and space, I prefer the subject further from the bg so I can control the bg separately with a light or two. I like softening but leaving skin texture, not the plastic look. It is easily done.