How to use Kiev 88 TTL Prism

Hi,

I just bought a Kiev 88 TTL Prism, and I am not understanding how to

use it. I found some instructions on the web, but they are confusing

me. I understand that you set the ISO. Then thet talk about setting

the calculator with the lens speed, but I don't understand to what.

I see the inner scale with the f-stops, and the outer scale with

shutter speeds. I am just not making the connection on how to make

it work. I could be brain dead and be missing something.

Thanks,

Mike

Because the meter is not coupled to the camera, You need to tell the meter what the maximum f stop of the lens you are using on it is, and will need to change that every time you change to a lens with a different maximum F stop. Then you turn the thing on and rotate the dial until the corect LED lights up. Then you have to take the readings and transfer them to the lens and shutter dial-not a very fast system.. Be sure to check it against another meter-mine was off by 3 stops but wasn't too hard to adjust. (set screws on the rotating nob).

Here's the deal:

1. Turn the inner knurled dial (smaller han a dime) until the red arrow is lined up with the maximum f stop of the lens you are using.

(note: - the maximum f stop of the lens...NOT the f stop you are using for a particular picture)

2. Turn the silver ring, by it's little raised bump, till the ASA of the film you are using is showing in the window.

3. Look thru the viewfinder and compose and focus like usual. When ready to meter, push the little black button at the front right edge of the prism.

This will turn the meter on.

4. You will see at least one arrow. If you see a dot in the middle, in addition to the arrow, you are in spot metering mode. Push the little black button again to switch to averaging metering if you wish, or vice versa.

5. Rotate the outer, largest dial slowly until you see both arrows.

That is now the correct exposure.

6. Look at the dial and see which speeds are lined up with which f stops. Pick a combination that suits your purposes.

7. Then rotate the aperture ring on your lens to the one you selected, and set your shutter speed to the corresponding choice.

You're ready to shoot!!

check out these resources:

www.kievaholic.com great site with lots of tips and links

Good Luck!