How to use a watameter

<p> Hello to you guys<br>

I am a new member to the website.<br>

My grandfather gave me an Isolette Afga with a watameter few months ago.<br>

I have been shooting with the camera quite often now. I am comfortable with guessing the distance to set the focus. However, it would be such a shame not to learn how to use the watameter so I hope you guy can explain to me how to use it.</p>

<p>Thank you very much.<br>

Best regards</p>

<p>The watameter is a rangefinder htat will tell you the distance something is. Look into the eyepiece and turn the knob until the two images you see line up on top of each other. Then read the distance. On some wtameters the distance scale is visible through the eyepiece. On the earlier one it is on the knob you just turned. Set that distance onto the camera.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for your answer.</p>

<p>I am not very sure with the part ' two images line up on top of each other' as I can only see one image and no matter how hard I turn the knob only the distance scale changes, everything I see through the eyepiece look the same. Is it broken?</p>

<p>I dont think so but as you mentioned it. I tried to covering one window at time when look through eyepiece. First, cover the left, I cannot see anything but scale distance and a very tiny part of the scene. Second, cover the right, I can see the whole scene but not the scale distance. </p>

Just describing a "rangefinder device" in general. The principle is triangulation. As mentioned there are two windows. The second, or one of the windows view is superimposed in the the other. This is done with an angled mirror behind one window. As the difference between the two windows is known (given), when the super imposed image (a ghostlike image) is aligned with the other, the distance is then given on a scale that can then be translated to camera's focus. If you are unable to see the super imposed image (as sometimes they are very faint) try to find a dark horizontal line like a tree bracng or window frme etc and see if you can't see the ghost image passing (up or down) and/or aligning at this point. A vertical line like a door frame would then move side to side. As mentioned covering a window then defeats the purpose, so be careful!!

<p><em>"...I cannot see anything but scale distance and a very tiny part of the scene..."</em><br>

a) Make sure that when you are attempting to superimpose the two images, you are concentrating your attention only on that "tiny part" of the scene.</p>

<p>b) There is a good chance it uses a semi-silvered beamsplitter, which, because of age, the coating might have deteriorated. This is one reason why you might not be able to see the two images more clearly.</p>

<p>Tom M</p>