How to unscrew front/rear cells from Apo Nikkors ?

joerg_krusche

Hi,

I have problems with unscrewing front/rear cells from Apo Nikkor

barrel lenses (process type). Anybody out there who has experience ?

.. by means of solvent/acetone ?, warming up ?? etc.

There are no problems with other process lenses, but the Apo Nikkors

are tough.

Thank you for feedback !!

Best

Joerg

I don't know about getting them off but once you get them off very lightly coat the threads with Vaseline and you shouldn't have this problem again. Make sure you don't leave any excess on the threads, you just need a very light coat. This can also be done with your filter threads to keep them from sticking onto lenses as filters seem to have a habit of doing.

First, check for setscrews or a locking ring. Then, if it can't be done easily by hand, use a <B>soft</B> strap wrench (FWIW Sears sells such an animal, so do a hundred others) to grab the rim of the element while holding the shutter firmly.<P>

Sorry but IMO, the suggestion to use Vaseline is one you should carefully consider before rejecting. Any kind of lubricant in the wrong place is going to eventually cause trouble, and it's only a short distance from the flange threads to the shutter blades. YMMV, of course...

Alan - You apply it very lightly, not in globs that drip into the shutter. I've been doing this for nine years, ever since John Sexton suggested it in one of his workshops I attended, and have never had the problem with sticking filters, lens cells, etc. that seem to get posted here every month or so in that period of time.