How to trick a D80 to shoot without a lens?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by tlightburn, Jan 29, 2014.

1. I have a new-to-me D80 as my first DSLR ("replaces" my N90s). I'd like to fool around with pinholes on it, like I used to do with film cameras. I used to take a body cap and cut out a piece in the center and use a brass pinhole. Alas, non-cpu lenses (or cpu lenses with the aperture moved) give the "Fee" message. Has anyone tried to trick a camera into thinking it has a lens on it? I'm thinking I'll need to get a broken or cheap cpu lens and hack it apart just so I can mount the contacts and cpu so I can set the camera on bulb. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Ted

2. I don't think it really cares whether there's lens or not.

3. I used to do pinhole photography with a D80 without a problem. Set it in manual exposure mode and fire away. It doesn't care if there's a lens or not.

4. DUH....thanks. I didn't even try to take a lens OFF and set it on manual. I just assumed 'cause it gave me an error w/the lens aperture ring off of the locked setting that I couldn't use it. SWEEEEET.
    Thanks,
    Ted

5. I just assumed 'cause it gave me an error w/the lens aperture ring off of the locked setting that I couldn't use it.​
    Do you also get the error in manual mode ?

6. yup. with a 50/1.8D or a 24/2.8 AF, both give the error in M with the aperture ring off of the f/22 setting

7. Yeah even in manual mode you have to use the whiz wheels to set aperture and shutter unless you are using a manual focus lens. True of most Nikon AF bodies.
    Rick H.

8. pge

pge

True of most Nikon AF bodies.​
    Certainly not on all, f9 menu item on a D800, f7 on a D300.

9. Thomas,
    With your D80 there is a difference between:-
    a) Using an AF lens (the one with electric contacts) in manual mode.
    and
    b) Using a lens without contacts, or no lens at all, in manual mode.
    In the first case you'll get an error if the aperture ring on the lens is not set to minimum.
    In the second you won't but the meter won't work.
    The more sophisticated Nikon DSLRs will allow metering in the second case but all the rest, roughly up to and including the D90 in sophistication, won't.
    Hope that helps....

10. I figured it out and got a holga lens. No meter, but handheld meter gets the workout again!

11. I figured it out and got a holga lens. No meter, but handheld meter gets the workout again!