How to take of Leica M2 top plate - DIY

john_wayne4

I've taken several cameras apart but never had the need (or the nerve) to tackle my Leica. I enjoyed the video. I usually do my disassembly over a large pie plate with a white washcloth inside to prevent parts from bouncing or rolling too far and to make small parts more visible. Also I put an old film cartridge in the chamber, not a paper towel or cloth, to prevent leaving lint behind. And I store groups of parts in small sandwich bags if the camera will be apart for any length of time.Thanks.

Tristan.. thank you so much for all the DIY movies you've uploaded!

After watching them all, I had one of those 'this is why I love the web' moments. So... no need to remove the wax for top plate removal on the M6? And.. what size flexi clamps do you use for both M6 and M3? ....please save me from the $200 set to get 'em all, when I know..i only need a few.

thanks again!

I'd like to see a video of the PC mod. I've had my M2 for almost 3 years. It came with the adapater that you "poke your eye" with. When I got it, I tried using a PC sync cord with my flash, but it's never fired the flash. I assume it has to do with the wires and if so, then I think it would probably be best to do the PC mod as well.

• 2 years later...

<p>Mr. Kim's video's as helpful as they are, should have it's detractor's speak up.<br>

For example, his <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGzMrPNQHLM&feature=related">"How to adjust shutters Leica M3 - DIY"</a> on YouTube, is totally irresponsible.</p>

<p>His form of repair is extremely <strong>hazardous</strong> to the longevity of a fantastic shutter.<br>

If the shutter is hanging up as the video showed, the camera is <strong>absolutely</strong> dry of it's lubricant!</p>

<p>Plus, the irresponsible turning of the curtains tension without proper lubricating can allow one to over tension the barrel springs which can pull the rubberized silk curtains from their holding ribs.</p>

<p>This should only be done with the aid of a shutter tester that has the ability to measure the Curtain Travel Time's. </p>

• 6 months later...