How to swap lenses efficiently during weddings...

lightbox

Hey all -

After shooting a recent wedding, I've been thinking 'How can I improve?' like I

always do. Currently, I use one body (backup in the bag) and a small bag with a

few lenses and flashes. I just switch lenses as needed. I always put a rear

lens cap on the lens I'm removing, but don't usually bother with the front cap

until thing slow down. However, this got cumbersome this last wedding, For

some reason, it seems like I could change lenses faster a few years ago than now

(probably because I shot with smaller primes :-) ).

I've thought about shooting with two bodies, but it seems that would be too

unweildy to carry with flashes attached as well as the shoulder bag. Plus, I

would probably still want to switch lenses once in a while.

So, my question is, for those that work with one body, how do you switch your

lenses and do you bother to put front/rear caps on them, or do they go into a

padded/protected space in the bag without the caps? That seems a little risky,

but maybe I'm being to cautious.

Also, for those that shoot with two bodies, do you carry a bag as well, or do

you manage to get the rest of the accessories in pockets?

Thanks for the feedback - it's something I've been wondering about.

I had the same question i my mind Nathon...and was thinking that's what Jessica Claire's shoot sac is for....and there are other bags to apparently....i foget the names though...anyone know? BTW - Anne do you have a bag on you while your shooting? thanks - meg

If I'm in the back of the church I have my bag there with my backup camera, tripod and three additional lenses that I can swap off and I'll use the rear cap on each. I'm also likely to have a lens in my jacket pocket that travels with me as I move to the balcony or other areas of the church. Really, changing a lens should be 2nd nature and shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

About the only time I carry two bodies/lenses is when I'm covering a boat wedding or an outdoor wedding and I'm less "based" to my spot in the last pew of the church.

I use two bodies I find it easier and hardly any dust should get in my camera. I switch flashes instead so I don't have that much added weight. I use a roller bag with two cameras on me - the bag is always in a secluded place or within sight. When I do change lenses it is never in a rush situation and I always do both caps within seconds unless the hood is on I might blow off the front one.

I didn't really like the ShootSac (I know other photogs who love it -- it wasn't rugged enough

for me), but I swear by my little <a href="http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

ttp_product_UrbnDsgs.php">Think Tank</a> bag. My camera stays around my neck, then a

couple more lenses, my Pocket Wizards, and a flash can stay in the bag, along with my

flashcards. That way everything valuable is on me at all times. When it's time to pack up, I

recap my lenses and use the LowePro <a href="http://www.lowepro.com/Products/

Sling_Bags/">Slingshot 200</a>. Dan (my partner) keeps his SlingShot on him at all times;

it's just too cumbersome for me, so I like have the little bag during the gig itself.

I use two Nikon D200s. One with a 17-35mm F2.8 w. flash, the other with a 70-200 f2.8 VR. Extra cards in a pouch on my belt. I don't like switching out lenses mainly because of the issues with dust on the sensors and also because of the lost time and the appearance of lost time or opportunities. I say "the appearance of lost time or opportunities" because one time, when I was first using my Fong lightsphere, it pulled off a couple of time during a wedding while the camera was hanging at my side and I was using the longer lens. I had to stop after taking a shot to pick it up and, even though I wasn't using it at the time and it didn't effect what I was doing, the bride later questioned whether I was "losing many precious moments because I was dropping equipment". Appearances are often everything and I am often astonished at the smallest things a bride, MOB, or member of the wedding party will pick up on and make comment. The last thing I need is some bride complaining that I missed some "precious moment" because I got caught in mid-lens change.

Anne, which model Think Tank bag do you use? I just purchased a Shootsac and will use it next week for the first time, but looking at the Think Tanks I can see why you prefer them. Sturdy appeals to me also, and while my Shootsac is "pretty" I'll take function over form anytime.

Jan, I have the 10 right now, but I'd like to move up to the 20. Smaller is better for me,

because if I carry too much stuff it'll kill my neck and shoulders. I try to force myself to go

light. I think the 20 would be a nice upgrade though.

I shoot with 1 body while having my 2nd as a backup, I basically carry a lens case with me all day that fits the 70-200IS, and then I mount 2 smaller pouches that fit my 50 1.4 and 17-40mm, This lets me switch quickly as 3 lens pouches and 3 lenses (1 on body). Works well for me, once I get to my destination I uncap all my lenses and put them in the lens cases.

I use a smaller shoulder bag that has lens pockets big enough to slide each lens back into it's assigned slot (with hood attached). Each lens has it's hood attached, which never comes off. I never use front lens caps, but I do put a high quality UV filter on each. I use the back lens caps only when I travel to a job. Then they come off and I don't put them back on until I'm ready to leave. I religiously never put anything that might damage rear glass elements on top of my lenses. I like to be able to swap out a lens in one smooth, fast motion without having to take the bag off my shoulder. The biggest problem, though, is my 16-35mm lens--it's hood is so large that sliding it back is sometimes a problem, plus it requires a large slot. But I deal with it my putting the bag down on the ground (unless the ground is really muddy or something) and doing the swap there. I used to do the same thing with my Hasselblad kit, but I had built in rear cap holders in that bag, since my Hasselblad rear elements were bigger. The rear caps would ride on the elements without being screwed down, and I would work them kind of like the shell game...

Anne - glad to hear I'm not the only one not wanting to put on the rear lens cap. :-)

David - Yes, changing lenses is second nature, but putting the rear cap on is annoyingly problematic. I was thinking about this after I posted and it seams like there are a few caps that go on fast, and others (3rd party) that catch on the little levers (pentax lenses). Maybe my frustration is more based on this than anything else. I'm going to file down whatever is catching and see how that works. :-)

Rachel - do you carry a shoulder bag as well as both bodies?

Nadine - that sounds pretty reasonable. I will try setting up my bag like that and giving it a try at the next shoot.

As a side note, I saw a photog recently shooting with a 1 body/24-70 2.8/70-200 2.8 combo (no front or rear caps, both with hoods). No bag. He would just leave one of the lenses standing on the ground on the hood and go off and snap away. When he needed the other lens, he would come back and switch - or take it to a new place. He would leave the 70-200 several rooms away. On a few occasions he left the 70-200 on an upper stair case landing with kids running up and down. That's one way to do it, but he must have had good insurance.

The 2 camera style is still intriguing if I didn't have to carry a bag as well. I'm going to see if I can fit all the accessories in a waist pack, or think about a way to lock up some extra gear close by. (I worry more than most about people walking off with my gear) The problem I've always had with 2 bodies (and I did this a lot in the film days) is that it's just more complicated and one is always slipping off a shoulder. It was great for shooting wildlife in Africa, but not so great for me at events.

Thanks for the ideas.

I do almost the same as Nadine describes. I like Domke bags and when working I'll flip the flap backward so the bag is open and easy to reach into.

Re: straps, I look for straps with sufficient "sticky" on them to keep from slipping off my shoulder. My favorite right now is the Tamrac 1 inch (or so) wide nylon strap with quick release. The sticky stuff seems to last quite a while. Once the sticky is "worn out" I get new straps.

I carry two bodies around my neck, and I have 4 lenses that I primarily use. I use a speed racer bag from Think Tank, but lately I have been using it as a shoulder bag rather than a hip bag. The lens cases dangle nicely. I tend to drop off the shoulder bag in some convenient location and return for lens changes.

I have always kept the rear caps on out of dust paranoia, but it REALLY slows down the lens changes. I envy those that are comfortable leaving the caps off. Perhaps I will give it a try some time.

I don't use the front caps while on location. I leave the hoods on at all times and use a UV filter on every lens.

I think ideally I will end up with a Domke bag with a dedicated slot for each lens like Nadine mentioned.

One think I've always wanted: I'm sure somebody makes something like a belt that a body with lens can be clipped to with the lens facing down.. Like a cell phone quick release that threads into the tripod socket. Think Tank makes holsters, but I really want to just clip the camera to my belt. Then I can get the 70-200 2.8 off my neck! Imagine a metal tounge that fits into the Think Tank belt loops...

I use a belt with a couple lens cases, and a flash battery strung on it. Since I have no waist to speak of, I use suspenders for the belt. It pretty much stays on from the start of the wedding till the end of the reception.

During the ceremony I don't use lens caps, but I do use hoods, and I carry two cameras on me. One around the neck and the other on the left shoulder. I should look into that belt clip for the second camera, as that would be easier I think. Mostly I just use the two lenses on the bodies, but when I need them changes are quick & simple.

Nadine:

That's not quite what I had in mind. What I want is to get rid of straps and holsters, and just clip the body (w/lens) to a belt via the tripod socket.

Perhaps there is a practical reason I haven't seen this?

Thanks!

Ed--I actually saw a product like what you are talking about. It attached to the camera via the tripod socket and had a button which slipped into a slot on the part that attached to your belt. It was not made by any of the major photo gear manufacturers and I'm sure it is long gone. However, I would fear for the safety of a pro camera body with the 70-200mm L lens attached with anything but a holster. I also think the weight of such a combo would drop your pants for sure, plus I'd think the gear would get scratched and bump around on your hip and thigh without some snugger method of attachment.