How to store uncut negatives.

<p>Hello.</p>

<p>I've been developing my own film for quite a while now, been happy with cutting the negatives into little strips, fitting them into plastic pockets and then sending them off with the mail to get them scanned in high resolution - But recently the company whose scanning services I employ has decided to charge the same fee for scanning from these small negstrips as they do for developing a roll and then scanning... So the question is, how do I keep my developed roll of film uncut, safe (relatively) from scratches and good to mail? I've tried rolling it up into a film canister, but that gets it scratched easily, way too easily. Any tips on this?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Morgan.</p>

<p>Morgan, the pro labs wrap uncut film in a clear string that has an edge that clamps back down on itself. Sort of like a slip with another part that comes back down to hold it tight. Should be easy to get. Then when they slide around, they won't scratch the rest of the film.<br>

_<br>

\ / /<br>

\/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I put the uncut strips inside bulk 35mm film cans. There is plenty of room for up to 3 uncut rolls, and they don't ever scratch the film. You can also tape the film can shut with black electrical tape making it fairly waterproof. Then just drop it in a US Postal service Priority mail pouch.</p>

<p>put them in a 35 mm film container and put a wad of cling film on top of it.<br>

If the scanning company gives your film a half decent treatment it shouldn't be scrached by removing it for the container.<br>

The wad of cling film stops it from moving in the container</p>

<p>Never store film rolled up--the plastic base has a memory and if you ever want to work with it later it will be very difficult to handle. When I was managing photolabs I hated to print this stuff. It was like trying to print a Slinky.<br>

I recently scanned some film from one of my wifes relatives that had been stored rolled up since the 50's. It took a year in a book press with the film in sleeves to flatten them out to where i could handle them.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the tips, seems like I need to try the film canister again but with something to secure the rolled up film from moving about - Thanks for that.<br>

<br /> Paul - I have some experiences with this myself, but the company has a pretty good turn around rate, I send it in and two days later I get my roll back, cut and put in sleeves, or that is what they say. I hope that's quick enough to not screw (litteraly) the base up too much.</p>

<p>Derek - Unrelated to the OP, but I have been thinking along those lines, Nikons are prohibitive in price, so Iv'e been looking at a Reflecta DigitDia scanner for about 700$ that seems to be the nicest deal I can find in Sweden. Any experiences with that? Or better yet, any good links to share?</p>

<p> </p>