How to store film ?

jim_weinert

Both methods are possible. Put it in a plastic zipper bag to avoid any moisture.

From the freezer: It will need several hours to reach the room temperature without too much condensation.

From the fridge: 1 hour under normal conditions (50-60% rel. humidity).

Unless it's bulk film. Due to it's mass it will need much more time.

Best regards,

Robert

I put mine in the freezer. Polaroid film can't be frozen so that goes in the fridge. Freezing protects against chemical degradation. Film will fog over time from cosmic rays and environmental radiation- the higher the ISO speed, the faster it deteriorates. I let 35mm film warm for 20 - 30 minutes before loading- mostly to avoid condensation.

I freeze my film. It should keep longer and there are no liquids in the freezer. Everything is frozen solid. Therefore, there is no chance a food spill will contaminate the film.

According to Kodak, 35mm cassettes and 120 roll films is ready for use in an hour or so. I usually leave mine on the kitchen counter overnight.

I put mine in the refrigerator because when I want to use it all I have to do is let it defrost over night. Notice i didnt say defreeze overnight. Unless you plan to keep some huge stocks, I would just keep in the refrigerator which is about 32F or less. I have a small 3 1/2 foot high, 4 foot deep refrigerator where I store all my stuff.

William is absolutely correct. Freezing Polaroid film will ruin it immediately. I know. I've done it. Ouch! Won't do that gain. There are gel packs containing the developing agents. If you freeze them, these little pouches may leak, but the gel will certainly decompose leaving nothing there to develop the film.

Interesting Frank. My personal experience with Fuji direkt ready film is that it will work but the colors are not that bright as it should be.

In principle there is not difference in content between Fuji and Polaroid, however the last one I never tested in the freezer because indeed freezing gels can cause leaks in the packing. Freezing chemicals is normally not a good idea at all.

But like you can see, some experiences can differ in the practical use.

But also Fuji is recommending to store their film cool and dry and not in the freezer!

• 7 months later...

Barry, if the ambient conditions are low humidity, you are less likely to have any kinds of problems. I left my Nikon SLR in the hotel room in Florida in July with the AC on, and the lens fogged internally when I went outside. Looked like David Hamilton was shooting, but without the naked women.

I believe condensation is the concern, I actually put single film cans in my pocket, it seems to warm them up, and who knows, you might cool your pocket depending on what you are wearing.

We could do a survey, and I would wager most folks on this forum have more cubic feet of film than peas in the freezer.

I am thinking of suggesting a series of tests to determine which is the best freezer or fridge for photo film users, and I need a new one, the drain in mine is broken and I have some moldy boxes of paper and film which may or may not have plastic seals inside. ;-)

• 2 years later...

<p>My film storage preferences depend on whether it's a frost-free fridge/freezer. The only time I've experienced problems was with a chest freezer that needed to be defrosted once or twice a year. Some of my 120 film developed mottling due to moisture trapped between the film and paper backing. If I had only a non-frost-free freezer, I'd use the refrigerator instead.</p>

<p>With frost-free units it doesn't seem to matter whether the film is in the freezer or refrigerator. The dry air minimizes problems with moisture.</p>