How to scan a 6x6 with Epson 3200

Hello,

I'm trying to scan a 6x6 negative but the insert for Epson Perfection 3200 looks

like only for 6x7. Even if I could use this for 6x6 is not very easy, in

particular when I try to scan an Agfa Scala developed as negative I'm not able

to capture all the frame seems that I cannot read all the frame but the

difference in contrast in the frame.

The insert for the 3200 is not the best for medium format. I've suffered with it for a few scans, but there are much better holders available. See this site... http://www.betterscanning.com/

The scans in my gallery (Rolliflex and Linhof folders only) were done with the Epson 3200 and the Epson holder. I've got to order a better holder as well. When scanning, use the crop tool and zoom in to the 6x6 area. It works, but is very slow as you need to move the strip to scan each frame.

The supplied holder may be a little fiddly, and certainly not the most elegant of solutions, but it does work and you can scan a full frame of 6x6 or 67 if you load it right and you can see whether this is the case before putting your holder/film on the scanner. Scanning a lot of frames is not fun.

I'm sorry, I don't really understand the last part of your question, but if you mean that the scanner seems to lack the dynamic range to capture everything on a b&w negative then I'd agree.

Domenico, while the 3200 is technically not equal to Nikon 9000 or drum scanners, it's capable of very fine 6X6 B&W work if a person begins with a wet darkroom frame of reference. That's sometimes not the way Scala shooters think, however...they sometimes convey the idea here that they are not heavily experienced in B&W darkrooms..rather, they seem to think more about Velvia than about Dektol.

The focusing carrier cited in the link above can accomplish noticable improvements in detail resolution with 3200...I found that focus was a significant issue to 0.5mm. And of course, that negative carrier holds film very flat.

I have no experience with Scala, but with other fine B&W films dynamic range is only an issue if you're measuring it. On the other hand, if you are personally a good inkjet printer, 3200 results can readily equal \a fine optical enlarger's. With 6X6 I think this might hold true in prints up to 16" square.

You MAY prefer to use Vuescan rather than Epson's application, as I do, but I don't think it will deliver better results in the end.