How to Remove Winding Knob on IIIc?

baisao

I am overhauling a post-war Leica IIIc but working from a guide for the IIIf. The winding knob on these are significantly different and so the instructions do not match what I am seeing.

I have backed out the set screw two turns but I am unable to unscrew the knob from the body with a reasonable amount of force. (Everything on this camera has been super tight thus far). I don’t want to break the camera (or my hand!) so I am pausing to ask if these are the correct steps for removing the large winding knob:

1. Loosen set screw two turns (or should it be removed completely?)
  2. Rotate the knob counter-clockwise to unscrew it from the base.

Is this correct or are there other steps to removing the knob?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Unlike a IIIf which requires just a turn so it stays connected to the whole knob (Too far out and the knob just freewheels),

a IIIc doesn't care; you can pull the long set-screw completely out, it won't matter.

Now heat is heat, but I use a more focused mini-torch.

If you heat up the surrounding camera past 150 degrees, you could cause RF issues etc.

Unlike a IIIf which requires just a turn so it stays connected to the whole knob (Too far out and the knob just freewheels),

a IIIc doesn't care; you can pull the long set-screw completely out, it won't matter.

Now heat is heat, but I use a more focused mini-torch.

If you heat up the surrounding camera past 150 degrees, you could cause RF issues etc.

Thanks, Gus! I used a mini-torch to gently warm the knob, then used a snapping motion just as you described... presto! The knob unscrewed easily.

To think that my thumbs almost have blisters on them from trying to unscrew the knob without heat last night.

You’ve helped me many times over the years with your camera repair wisdom. I’m grateful to you for sharing so much with us.

Cheers!