How to recover files on SD fommated in 6D

david_wu6

I accidentally formatted a Sandisk SD card with 6D's format function and have tried various recovery software to recover the images with no luck. It will be greatly appreciated if someone can share his/her experiences of a successfully recovery in a similar situation, particularly with 6D. Thanks in advance!

Personally I've had success in the past in recovering images (off a CF card) from formatted (in camera) cards - NOT a 6D, although the principles are pretty much the same. I've used older versions of 'Image Rescue', but, if you've tried some decent quality software and haven't been able to recover anything then... yeah... you're (in practical terms) pretty hosed.

Remember that these cards essentially store data in a series of switches (think light switches). Switches don't remember what position they were in before you mucked around with them (unlike a magnetic disk). While a quick format usually only mucks around with some of the 'switches' at the top, essentially 'telling' the controller that the memory can be allocated completely as desired (as opposed to after data has been written (and it's location recorded), which is why you can often recover imagery, if any given 'switch' has been flipped, the knowledge of it's prior position is lost. While there are a couple of theoretical ways to try to recover this data, it's nothing thats translated into a reliable or cost effective method.

Edited by Marcus Ian

• 3 weeks later...
David, were you able to recover all your images from the card? I used Recuva and Rescue Pro on four of my cards (after my laptop and backup drive were both stolen), and managed to get most images back. Between 2 and 5 percent of images on each card were corrupted, though, and I couldn't get those back.

I have successfully restored more than 300 lost pictures and video files from my Canon EOS 80D camera's memory card. Although not a 6D, I think the principles of data recovery are the same. I hope you haven't continued shooting new pictures or videos after formatting your Sandisk SD Card. Otherwise the deleted images are likely to be overwritten by new generated files. By the way, I was searching for "canon photo recovery" on the Google to find the right data recovery tool. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
David, were you able to recover all your images from the card? I used Recuva and Rescue Pro on four of my cards (after my laptop and backup drive were both stolen), and managed to get most images back. Between 2 and 5 percent of images on each card were corrupted, though, and I couldn't get those back.

@geoffm I was able to recover all image files and even some images left on the card from previous formatting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...