How to pronounce Leica

Discussion in 'Leica and Rangefinders' started by jim_stryjewski, Dec 20, 2005.

1. I'm hoping for the definitive answer on how to pronounce Leica.

I've been corrected when I've referred to it at "Lisa" (pronouncing
    the "C" as in the word "announce").

I've been corrected when I've referred to it as "Like uh"
    Pronouncing the C as more of a "K" as in the word "Cream"

I bought a Digilux2 to goof around with and it will be here any day
    now. By the time it gets here I would love to know how to actually
    say the name of the company. hahah :)

2. The "Le" is as you pronounce the "la" in "latter"; "læ". The "ca" you pronounce like the "ca" in "car". Stick the 'i' in the middle and you get "Leica".

- Carl

3. like ca[r]

4. According to Laney the name "Leica" was coined by combining syllables from "LEItz" (the manufacturer) and "CAmera" (the product). In German, the diphthong "ei" is pronounced as the "long i" (eye). This issue has been batted back an forth by non-German speakers since the camera's inception. One is inclined to view this query as "trolling", but in the interst of seasonal goodwill it being responded to as if it were a legitimate inquiry.

5. Just to confirm, I have no interest in trolling or causing trouble of any kind.

Based on Dan's note that EI is pronounced as a long I (eye). I'm hearing Leica to be pronounced.

L-eye-Ca

6. Leica USA 800-222-0118

Phone them and listen carefully when they answer!

7. SCL

SCL

The issue reminds me of the hobo who knocked on the farmhouse door, offering to do painting in return for a meal. The owner said "ok do the front and the porch in back". Three hours later the hobo again knocked on the front door and said "I'm done, but it wasn't a Porsche out back, it was a Mercedes.<p>
    LEICA pronounced in most of the world is Li(long i as in tripod)k(as in kat)a (as in uh).

8. It might be helpful to consider the fact that the dog Laika was - as far as I know - the first living creature in space, and that Leica is pronounced exactly as the name of that courageous and now famous dog.

9. Reminds of when my son & I were in Montreal for a hockey series & the car ads on TV said Mazda with a long a as in "maaazda" & in the US we're used to hearing "mahzda"

Like ah

10. Like Uh :)

11. In Japan, Mazda is Matsuda. They thought English speakers wouldn't be able to pronounce it. In Japan, Leica is "raika", though the Japanese r is a little different from the English one.

12. The official answer can easily be had!

Robert Morgan , dec 20, 2005; 04:00 p.m.
    Leica USA 800-222-0118
    Phone them and listen carefully when they answer!

Thanks Robert. Their computer answering system picked up and the name was said right from the horse's mouth.

13. But the quesion now is: is "Leitz" pronounced "light-z" or "leet-z"??

14. They have livestock answering their phones? Good God, they are in bad shape!

15. SCL

SCL

Steve - the first according to German pronunciation rules. If the i & e were reversed, it would be pronounced Leetz.

16. I pronounce it EXPENSIVE.

17. This is a most interesting topic. My new Leica MP will be arriving shortly from ala carte production and I think I am going to like very much being here.

18. Of course the correct pronunciation is as the famous Russian dog, Laika. Interestingly, in Norway, some words tend to be Norwegianised a bit, and the standard pronunciation for a Leica here would be lay-ka, which would be using the word and transforming it into Norwegian rules of pronunciation, and I tend to call it that even though my German is rather good and I really do know what it's really supposed to be.<p>
    Now, I wonder how many people (apart from Germans, obviously) who pronounce Schneider Kreuznach correctly... Or what about Schneider Kreuznach Optische Werke GmbH? That makes the word "Leica" look like child's play in comparison.

19. Schneeder-Cruiseknock?

20. Schn-eye-da(r) Croy-ZZ-knock, I believe.

Regards,

Frank M.

21. LONG LIVE THE LEICA FORUM ON PHOTO.net !!

Reading this concentrated world-wide intellectual nonsense it my favourite night-lecture - nothing can beat this content and I am sorry for everyone who doesnt know Leica stuff and their smart users...

22. Frank, almost right. But instead of "knock" try "nah".

23. Nok-- The gutteral "ch" sound has no equivalent in American English.

24. My God! Remember Madonna: "like a [Virgin]"

25. Partly because my dislike of the russian dog and partly because of Czech fonetics I pronounce Leica as Lei (as in princess Leia) and ca (like the name of the Jungle Book snake KA)

26. Damn I already miss my Liek UH or Leik car...

27. I guess you'll need help with didyalookstew.

28. Lye-ka. Like-ah. Or: "I like a Leica" (so it rhymes).

29. "Schneider-Kreuznach" might even be more difficult to speak for native english speakers. It should sound similar to "shnaider-kroytsnakh" where the "kh" represents a sound similar to the "x" in spanish words.
    "Optische Werke" should be spoken like "optishe weirker".

BTW I remember some dumb germans think that pronounciation of foreign languages is so difficult because "they do not speak the words the way they are written". Many Germans think that german pronounciation is the real one and forget about the many rules and clues of german spoken language, and english and french pronounciation is just as straight forward (or complicated) as the german one.

30. Easy, in German, always pronounce the second vowel in a dipthong (not wearing a
    dipthong? Never mind). Meine Leica! As for lenses:: SUMM-ee-cron, SUMM-ee-lux, etc.

This may help:

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the
    official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other
    possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had
    some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would
    become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".

Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up
    konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when
    the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words
    like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be
    expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are
    possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have
    always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the
    languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing
    "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords
    kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl
    riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza.

Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl.

31. "Optishe Weirker"

Would that not be more correctly "Optisher Veirker"?

With the German dipthong ei rule, one should correctly pronounce Rollei as Rolleye.....yet so many refer to it as Rollee and that has always concerned me.

32. Thank goodness for Kodak, Argus, and Ansco.

33. David Killick - now that our much loved government has given English away to the EU this will save about one billion quid on translation costs so do you think we can get our rebate back ?

34. >>But the quesion now is: is "Leitz" pronounced "light-z" or "leet-z"??<<

There's a description of super-punctilious people who, when you ask them what time it is, tell you how to make a watch.
    In German, "EI" is pronounced eye, and "IE" is pronounced ee as in "eel". Leica is pronounced in German (and in English), "like-a".
    Case closed, for Heaven's sake!

Merry christmas to all!

Tom

35. There used to be a firm in San Francisco named A. LIEtz that purveyed engineering supplies and equipment . I have often had users of an A. Lietz surveyor's transit vehemently insist that it was made by the same outfit that makes the famous camera; and it was especially confusing after Wild (who also made surveying equipment) bought E. Leitz, GMBH.

36. Bill, I am actually in New Zealand (often pronounced New Zild). I've also lived in the UK and
    Germany, and a US friend sent me the Eurospeak guide. What an international lot we are!

37. Lei-Ca comes from the phrase LEItz CAmera, so if you know how to pronounce Leitz, Leica is
    easy.

Leitz is pronounced as in the Hollywood cry: "Leitz(lights), Camera, Action". Which would
    have been a good advertising headline for the concern back when Leitz was still part of the
    equation.

38. Andy

"L.C.A" That would be the "Leica A" I presume?

39. I was greeted by a receptionist at a hotel in Australia. She was wearing a name tag with "Leica" engraved on it. I was so intrigued and took a snapshot (of course with her permission). She pronounced her name "Lisa" contrary to my preconception.

As for the "Leica" leica, you can ask anyone who have some basic knowledge about German language, to read it (don't forget to tell him/her that it is a German word.)

40. "SUMM-ee-cron, SUMM-ee-lux," David? OK, maybe in German. Brian Bower says, "Sue-MY-cron, Sue-MY-lux."

You say, SuMM-ee-cron, I say, Summ-ih-cron. Let's call the whole thing off.

41. Pronounce Leica as you would formica ... countertops ...

42. Given the well known origin (which Dan has explained again) of the name, there should be no doubt. I have, however, heard the mysterious but tempting "Leaker" more than once. Besides, if you look around you will often find the spelling "Lieca"; not that I know how that should be pronounced. If, like many males, you associate femaleness with beauty, the obvious answer is "Like Her".