How to price second (third) licenses?

andrew_storey

<p>Hi all,<br>

I am in the early stages of developing a photography business whose focus will be architecture and portraiture. My current pricing model is this. I charge on a project basis and the total includes a creative fee, and digital and admin expenses. The usage license fee is incorporated into the creative fee. My basic question is this. My recent architectural client wants to do another shoot with me and has indicated that the builder also wants to use the images for his marketing purposes. I'm a little unsure how to arrive at charges for this second client.<br>

Let's say the total cost of the project for the next shoot is $2,000 for 12 images (including the creative fee/usage fee, digital exp, admin exp), and so the license usage fee is $2,000 - X. Would I charge the builder (client #2) the same as for the architect (client #1), $2,000 for the 12 images, or just the license usage fee (X)? Or other?<br>

If I just charge the builder X (licensing usage fee), he's getting the images for a steal relative to client #1. <br>

Thank you for your thoughts!<br>

Andrew</p>

<p> </p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
<p>I've been dealing with similar issues- What I've learned works best is to try to get as many interested parties in on the initial deal with a set percentage for each additional party (somewhere in the 30-50% range), and then they can equally split the total cost- preferably with you only having to deal with the initial client and have them split the bill on their end. What I'm wondering about is when you do it that way and you think it's all done and the invoices are all paid, then months later the client send you another list of companies that want to use a few photos. I'm thinking about just a flat rate per photo?</p>