How to pick Nikon lens adapter for Sony A6000

hoi_kwong

<p>I believe the A6000 uses a Sony NEX mount. I'm partial to Novoflex adapters. They're not cheap, but they fit without jamming, and work with G lenses. There's a ring which sets the diaphram via the coupling lever. It's not calibrated in f/stops, but you could set it closed and use the aperture ring on non-G lenses. I will be shopping for an adapter if/when I get a Sony Alpha, and this is the one I would choose.</p>

<p>There are less expensive choices with a setting ring too. Do you trust a $1500 lens on a $20 adapter? As a word of caution, others have found that inexpensive adapters can be hard to attach or remove from the lens. I believe the protocol is attach lens to adapter then assembly to camera.</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737925-REG/Novoflex_NEX_NIK_Adapter_for_Nikon_Lens.html</p>

<p>Let's face it, the adapter is just a metal ring; the one shown in the link is $292.<br>

If you just want something that works have a look on Amazon and get one for £25. The first one I bought at first wouldn't allow the lens to fit smoothly, so I sent it back and the one they re-sent is spot-on; everything snug and as it should be. I only have a few lenses I use it for and the one most used is my 50/1.4 pre-AI Nikkor; perhaps it wouldn't be a great idea to hang something really heavy off of it, but that applies to the camera body as well....they're designed round lighter smaller lenses after all. Of course, bigger lenses often have tripod mounts on them, so the lens supports the camera.<br>

The adapter I have is nameless, but it was cheap and it works perfectly well..and there's very little that can go wrong with it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"the adapter is just a metal ring" <em><strong>andrew b.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>When it comes to these amazing new mirrorless cameras, that is so true.<br /> I once used a toilet paper roll to test the service re-assembly success & IQ of an enlarging lens!<br /> <br /> <strong>I buy these adapters in the order of importance and usage.</strong><br /> If you extensively plan on useing your collection of Nikkor glass, then acquire a more than enough middle of the road adapter. This was the case for me, so I purchased a "Metabones" for my Nikkor and Leica needs.<br /> <br /> For those 'just for fun' lenses, or for testing/comparing your rarely used collection, get the cheapest one with the most screws shown. (Buy the "cheapy" showing <strong>4 screws</strong> rather than the 3 screw equivalent/competitor)<br /> <br /> <strong>With these "cheapy's"</strong>, I go through a simple "Mod Procedure" of a slight tear-down to be able to isolate the main tube, this allows me to cleanly spray "flat black" paint to the interior (aids with troublesome & problematic reflections in these "cheapy's"). I enhance the NEX mounting index "dot" with paint or countersinking to make it more easily visible. If theres a rough spot of machine "flashing" or need of grease, address it while you have the parts separated. Finally upon reassembly, I apply loctite to the screws for better security.<br /> <br /> Now if you find that you're going to get more involved with (like I did with my growing collection of Contax C/Y SLR lenses) or become a fan of a lens line-up, you can always <strong>upgrade</strong> from your "cheapy" to the more expensive better quality adapter...</p><div>00crEo-551403584.JPG.5c5c75780c49b729b7f742434fb3eab0.JPG</div>

<p>I was trying to get my head round paying nearly $300 for what I described as a ring. Slack thinking I dare say! Unwritten but implicit in my own head was the need for it to be properly made and accurately machined. The one I have has only 3 screws, so that shows what a tightwad I am, but it seems to do the job.<br>

Andy.</p>

<p>Guys, don't forget that with a Nikon DX lens, the lens will not have an aperture ring. So, the adapter will need to have mechanics to adjust the aperture lever on the back of a Nikon lens. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that it would take more than $25-$45 to precise machine an adapter, so I don't see why some places are charging $150+ for it, besides for customers that don't understand basic engineering.</p>

<p>Hoi, which lenses are you planning on using with your Sony? At this point, I could buy a good-condition D3200 for about $300. For that extra money, you get full EXIF data, along with autofocus, which is pretty tempting. What is your intended use of adapting lenses? If for photography, a better option for you may be to buy a D3200 or D5200. Given that the Nikon DX lenses are specifically made to have full functionality on Nikon DX cameras, it might be better to just pick one up. I see my Nex-6 as being ideal for manual focus Nikon lenses that work BETTER on the NEX-6 than on a comparable Nikon camera, because of live view and focus peaking. If I had lenses that worked better on Nikon than via an adapter, like the 16-85mm or 70-200mm VR, then you can be sure that I'd still have Nikon DSLRs here at home!</p>

<p>Any <em>Nikon G lens</em> to Sony NEX adapter will do. The least expensive ones don't control the aperture on G lenses. Amazon US sells a Fotodiox one for $39.95.</p>

<p>Don't spend the big bucks on the Novoflex. They don't do anything special, they just cost more because they're German.</p>

<p>Well, my Sony A6000 is in my briefcase for everyday camera. I own a few Nikon body from F2, F4 to DX and FX DSLRs. Lens range from F, Ai to DX & FX. It will be a lot of fun if I can give another live to my film lens or a few inexpensive DX lens. <br>

No, I'm not going to add my 24-70 mm FX lens on this young guy. I'm not going to spend $100+ for an adapter either. Just need the smooth but less expensive adapter for fun. </p>

<p>There are many many cheap adapters that work with Nikon's G lens. Nikon's G lens still have a mechanical aperture and it does not take much to engage it by even the cheapest adapter. Many are probably made in a small metal shop somewhere in China, but so what? If it does not fit, return and get another. My G lens adapter for the m4/3 camera is about $35, bought from e Bay. </p>

<p>One thing to keep in mind is that some cheap adapters may coat the inside with some black powder-ish substance to reduce reflection. To find out, you can wipe the inside of the tube with a white paper. Some worry that this can get to the back of the lens or come in contact with the sensor. You can wipe it until the loose stuff is all gone or take it to a shop to see if they can spray it with something to seal it. </p>

<p>Do you want it machined from a billet or screwed together from tubing? Stainless steel or aluminum flanges? Baffles to reduce internal reflection or black paint only? Fits right from the first and built to last or something to make do for the present? An hard-stop infinity or something close enough for government work?</p>

<p>There's a reason "German made" is expensive. In case you haven't noticed, the liquid rocket engines used to supply the Space Station are nearly identical to the one's designed in Germany 80 years ago, right down to the fuel pump, only larger. German lenses, made 30 to 50 years ago, still work like new.</p>

<p>Then there's Harbor Freight.</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

I've checked on my adapter and it was made in England by SRB/Griturn with whom I've been dealing for about 30+ years. If you look on their site you will find all kinds of things, and most of them are engineered here in their factory. They are a proper engineering firm and as well as everything on their internet site, which presumably can be sent abroad if you wanted, they have machined special lens mounting plates for the ancient lenses I have for my Half Plate camera.<br>

I have made a lot of financial mistakes in my time; the Contax S2 I bought - the one with Spot metering- and which lasted about 3 months was one of them...and that was German I think!<br>

Anyway, all the best with your choice.</p>

"There's a reason "German made" is expensive."

All that being the case, you'd still have to be a sucker to spend $300 on a lens adapter that has no glass or electronics in

it. Aluminum and screws are fantastic building materials, and you'd be amazed what they can do with paint these days.

Many or most of these $20 adapters are well enough made, strong enough and fit correctly. I've had probably a dozen (at

less total cost than a single Germen one) and they were all fine.

<p>I have seen people complaining about the Novoflex (German) adapters in terms of the fit being too tight or they do not allow for infinity focusing. Furthermore, people should spend the money according to the need. For one thing, if you buy a used lens for $50, and will only use it occasionally, spending close to $300 for an adapter seems unjustified. These $20-30 adapters are very well made for the piece they ask for. I would be happy to pay more if the adapter allows for precise control of aperture so if you want f2.8, you get f2.8. </p>

• 1 month later...

<p>FWIW, I have bought the cheap adapters from China on eBay on my A6000. I find the quality to be surprisingly good. I suggest starting at $30 and then upgrade if/when you need it. </p>

<p>One thought: I focus manually on the LCD or EVF (using peaking and magnification), and I'm shooting at 4-10 feet, so I don't care if the infinity stop and focus scale are correct. For landscapes or for scale focusing, maybe you want the expensive ones.</p>

<p>Don't have any Nikon G lenses, but am using a Kiwi LMA-NK(G) adapter to use an old 50/3.5 Micro-Nikkor on a Sony A6000 and the results are excellent.<br>

Am also having good results with a Fotasy Leica M-mount adapter. As the man said, there is no glass in either one of them, and the lenses mount securely.</p>