How To Photograph Store Window

carl_gruber

<p>I've been asked to shoot a store window from the outside and am wondering if anyone has any experience doing this.<br>

They have new decals on the glass storefront windows with clothes on display as well. It's important that I get the decals in the shot. During the day, there simply are too many distracting reflections in the window from outside. I'm thinking perhaps of shooting it at night, but then I lose light on the window. Adding lights brings in reflection issues.<br>

Any thoughts/example from someone with experience doing this would be really appreciated.<br>

Thanks,</p>

<p>Carl</p>

<p>Do you have a polarizing filter? That's the best way to deal with those reflections if you can't rig up a huge thing like a dark tarp behind you as you shoot the window.<br /><br />As for lighting the outside of the window (to illuminate the decals) ... just remember that the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. If you back off, use a longer lens, and light the decals from an off-camera angle, the more reflective glint of that light source won't be able to reflect directly in the camera ... but the more diffusing surface of the decals <em>will</em> catch light and direct it to the camera. <br /><br />Are we talking about a five foot window? A <em>fifty</em> foot window? Will you have to stand in traffic to use a long lens? A little more about the scenario will generate some more specific tips.</p>

<p>Thanks Matt. Those are good suggestions, and yes I do have a polarizing filter that I was planning on using. The window is a typical small shop window (two actually). So each window is a bout 8'x10'. I don't need to get the whole window though. Details of the decals/display will work. There is a sidewalk in front, so I have a good 15' before I hit the curb and cars. <br>

I've got a fair amount of lighting gear. I was thinking of shooting just after sundown, so that there is some ambient light, balanced by the light from the store window.</p>

<p>Use a polarizer - realizing that you'll have to shoot from an angle (not head on) for it to be effective.<br>

You might also be able to shoot at twilight with the camera on a tripod so that the window is bright and what is being reflected is much darker.</p>

<p>Rich Quindry</p>