How to photograph a dark interior with available light on slide and negative film

e_r6

<p>Hi, I'm don't have very much experience with photography but I would like to photograph a dark, mirrored interior of a historic location in Northern Europe next week. The space is small and very dark despite the mirrors as they are old (17th century) and I'd like to use only the available light.<br /> I was hoping to photograph on 35mm slide film - but I've heard slide film is less forgiving in low light.<br /> Any ideas on how best to photograph the space? What slide or negative films to use? I'll have a photo assistant (a student) with me, but we're both a little nervous about screwing up the shots since neither of us is a pro in low light situations.<br /> We have a Leica 35mm camera (I don't have access to the model number) and a Mamiya 645 Pro TL.<br /> Any advice would be so very much appreciated.</p>

<p>The problem with interiors is usually that the contrast is very high and thus you will have problems with slide film. Negative film has more latitude but if you are shooting colour then you have no control over development - and you will need to allow for reciprocity failure. Black and white neg film offers the best option for handling contrast. The attached photograph was shot on FP4, basically rated at 50 ASA but downrated 2 more stops to allow for reciprocity failure. Development was in Rodinal at 1/75, 20 C, 6 minutes. </p><div>00SuB6-120203584.jpg.a4e69a2dae0b6cba1c2fc2d3ee41e519.jpg</div>