How to mount a,,

gregory_c

<p>The ones I'm most familiar with are the good old T mount lenses, and, yes, there are adapters available to mount them on EOS cameras as well as lots of other brands. If you have the lens already, then look it up if you don't have instructions for it, and you can find the type of mount it uses. The large dealers and the big online auction site carry lots of adapters for older lenses such as yours. </p>

<p>You can get lots of adapters.<br>

There are 500mm and up mirror lenses and refractor lenses in T-mount -- there are T-mount/EOS fittings.</p>

<p>You can use almost any Nikon, M42, and many other lenses with the specific <em>x</em>>EOS adapter. There are a few wider angle lenses that do not play well with some Canon FX/35mm-sensor cameras, but usually no problem at all with telephotos.<br>

The few you can't usefully adapt include the earlier Canon FD lenses, of course.<br>

<em>With any of these, a non-EF lens will be totally manual - manual focus, focus wide-open, stop down for picture taking.</em></p>

<p>There are a number of EF-compatible 500mm lenses with automatic focus and aperture from Canon and from Sigma and Tamron (some are zooms topping out at 500mm).<br>

I would not personally consider other manufacturers than these named without the right to return it, based on my experience with some of the Korean-made mirror lenses.</p>

<p>Smooth is overly pessimistic. I'd be cautious of the new mass market cheapies, but older 400 and 500mm manual refractor lenses from Spiratone, Tamron, Astronar, etc. are often far better than you would expect. Long telephotos can be very simple and work very well. Canon in the old days had a 1000mm "R" manual lens that was superb and had only two (2, count them) lens elements!</p>

<p>You can find the Spiratones, etc., on eBay, often for under $25 or so if you are patient.</p>