How to mount a flash on a tripod

anders_carlsson

<p>I want to mount my flash (Canon 430EX-II) on my tripod and I'd appreciate any advice on which flash shoe -- I think that's the proper term -- to get. Put differently, I want an adapter with a hot shoe and a standard tripod screw thread. There are <em>many</em> out there but most are cheap and get poor reviews for either braking or not securing the flash. Not even the Manfrotto-branded one seems any good. Ideally I'd want one that I can "lock", using the flash's locking mechanism. Many thanks in advance.</p>

<p>A tripod makes a poor light stand - too short and too wide. However, Nikon makes a flat adapter that can be mounted to a tripod or used as a table stand. The flash locks to the holder.</p>

<p>Manfrotto (and others) make swivel adapters with a standard 5/8" stud socket at one end and a cold shoe at the other. Get one that has an umbrella clamp - about $20 for a good one. You will probably have to insulate the shoe where it touches the center pin on the flash. Scotch "Magic" tape is thin and tough, and lasts a lot longer than electrical tape.</p>

<p>Smith-Victor makes a shoe mount that would do. The standard tripod thread is 1/4-20. Hot shoe is for triggering the flash when it is mounted on a camera. Use wires, or an optical or sonic trigger to fire flashes mounted on stands. Pocket Wizard gets high marks from many PN contributors. Many flash units have sensors built into them. I can't tell from Canon's description of the 430EX-II whether it has this feature or not.</p>

<p>What's wrong with Canon's off camera accessories made for this unit?</p>