How to make your camera lose weight.

mark_drutz

<p>In my old age the weight of a camera and lens has become important to me. I love my D90 but together with my Tamron 18-270 VC or Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 or Nikon 70-300 VR it becomes uncomfortably heavy after a couple of hours, especially on the neck. I saw an ad for an OP/TECH Classic Strap that claimed to make the camera feel 50% lighter. B&H carried them so I figured it wasn't a scam and I ordered one for my D90 and one for my D60. At $12.89 each, how much could I lose? (I know$25.78)</p>

<p>I can't say that they made the camera feel 50% lighter, but they did make the camera feel noticeably lighter. It was $25.78 well spent. I guess this proves that sometimes the claims in the ads are true.</p>

<p>Well the D90 in itself is reasonable in weight. I also have the op tech straps and I believe they do help out somewhat over the original strap. You do not say if you just carry a camera with one zoom attached or do you have a bag filled with stuff. I know a guy that carries his camera in a waist mounted camera bag and he says it is pretty comfortable. No neck strap really needed and no neck discomfort at all. Possibly something with a wide waste belt for great support.<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675839-REG/Clik_Elite_CE504GR_Trekker_Waist_Pack_Clik.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675839-REG/Clik_Elite_CE504GR_Trekker_Waist_Pack_Clik.html</a></p>

<p>If you restrict you camera to a diet of low-weight lenses, it will become much easier to carry around. Various major marques all have decent, cheap, largely plastic beginner lenses that would also serve someone who is finding the camera plus premium lenses too heavy, massive, and awkward.</p>

<p>Just a simple 50mm f/1.8 lens will make a remarkably light and compact unit with most of the <em><strong>not</strong></em>-the-huge-pro cameras-for-people-with-large-hands in the lineups.</p>

<p>A corollary of Kliban's Law (never eat anything larger than your head), would be (known as von Weinberg's extension) "to never shoot handheld with a camera larger than your head."</p>

<p>I gave up a 67 system in favor of 645 largely because of weight considerations. I'm still conscious of weight (my hip joints have been replaced 9 times over the last 30+ years), and I usually take just a subset of lenses based on what terrain I'm exploring. Sometimes it's fun to take just a single lens and concentrate on a particular approach (e.g., an f/2 lens with nearly everything shot at maximum aperture). Finally, I've also purchased a wheeled cart (sort of like a golf cart.... the kind that carries only the bag) for those times when the trail isn't extremely rough and I want to bring the kitchen sink (e.g., 500mm, 300mm, lots of "little" lenses, and maybe a film as well as digital system). All of this works for me.</p>

<p>I also like my OpTech strap. It's on a Pentax 645. I carried that with a 45-85 zoom on a six mile hike near Aspen last month, and barely noticed the weight. The weight of other lenses and cameras in my backpack was another matter, I noticed that a lot. But the stretchy neoprene helped even out the weight of a five-pound camera, providing some "give" that reduced the weight multiplications that come with each stride. I've never tried an alternative strap such as a hip strap, but if I keep hauling this big mother, perhaps I should.</p>

<p>I must be one of those people Mark that just can't get used to anything dangling from my tender neck. Neopreone included and I have tried the Optech products. I use their pouches still, though Zing with velcro closures serve me better for lenses. The answer to my own current carry formula. Added this year, s Panasonic Lumix G- 1 with a Lumix 20mm 1.7/ 40mm equiv. Packs in a wrap around Zing pouch too for bang ans scratch protection...But, I can get buy with a<em> nylon web wrist lanyard</em> on it on one lug (don't tell, it has a Canon white logo) and wrap it around my wrist when I carry it; also used to wrap wrist and steady some 20mm /40mm 4/3 sensor shots. The 20mm lens has no Mega Optical Image Stabilization (great highfalutin ad term that). I don't need it and most of us seniors lived without it and survived...<br /> Very easy on the shoulders, no kidding. My other outfit,ah, is more of a Browning Automatic Rifle assault camera -weapon. (A full size E-3 sometimes wearing a 50-200 mm zoom. I work out but the tendons are 73 yo tendons. That is for the tripod for now, but that is what I wanted it for. Tho I will shlep it to the beach if induced. No strap either, just a monopod and me and a backpack or shoulder bag. I have no tush ledge thus no hip bags, that is my genetic heritage:-)) I take that back, some hip bags with a shoulder strap to keep it up...like the banana republic constabulary...one from Mountaingear company works for me. <br /> Everybody I am thinking likely needs to consider a light weight second camera something these days. And by george, the Panasonic gives pretty good files for a little lightweight.</p>

<p>I carry a D90 and 24-70 f/2.8 lens for hours with Black Rapid's R-Strap - it puts the wieght on my shoulder instead of my neck (I have a tender neck too LOL). I actually get a break by switching out to my 70-300 VR in terms of weight. :)<br>

You might want to try on in a store - bring your camera.<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645426-REG/Black_Rapid_RS_4.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645426-REG/Black_Rapid_RS_4.html</a></p>

<p>Has anyyone tried the Cotton Carrier? Looks like it would be decent if out for a day.<br>

<a href="http://www.cottoncarrier.com/">http://www.cottoncarrier.com/</a></p>

<p>Second the opinion on the Panasonic G1--I put a 50mm f1.8 OM Zuiko on it with an adapter, and I've got a great combo for people shots. I have a Neoprene strap on the D200, and it does help things, but at nearly (shudder) sixty, it still gets heavy. Yes, I work out, have hard abs and biceps, but it doesn't help this particular affliction.</p>

<p>I first discovered the OpTech Pro loop strap years ago for my Pentax 67II. Now I use them also on the Rebel XSI, the 5DII with 24-105, Rolleiflex 3.5F and Fuji GW670III. Good strap; it doesn't dig into the back of your neck.</p>

<p>As soon as I hooked up the 5DII with the Canon standard strap, I knew that thing had to go.</p>

<p>I find myself using my D60 and Fuji HS10 bridge camera more and more. The D60 is only 16 oz. Together with my Tamron 18-200 it's 11 oz lighter than the D90 and Tamron 18-270 VC. The D3100 weighs the same 16oz as the D60. If it has the IQ of the D90, I'll get one. With the OP/TECH strap, the D60 with the Tamron 18-200 or 18-270 VC, the weight is acceptable.</p>

<p>I'm a minimalist when it comes to gear. Sometimes I'll just take the D90 or D60 with a superzoom. Next step up I add my Sigma 10-20 and Nikon 10.5mm FF FE. For the zoo or aquarium, I take the D90 with my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 50-150 F/2.8, and Tamron 18-270 VC. For shooting on the street, in the park, or on the boardwork I'll usually bring just the HS10. It's not only light weight but it's silent which is good for candids.</p>

<p>So the most I carry is a body and 3 lenses. That's why I prefer zooms, especially good consumer zooms. The Sigma 10-20, Nikon fisheye, and a superzoom cover me from the FF fisheye to 270mm in a relatively light weight kit, and the OP/Tech makes it feel acceptable in terms of weight.</p>

<p>Mark, your solutions are pretty similar to my own. I think women encounter this sort of problem sooner than men, typically with purses. Whenever my purse gets too heavy, I go through it to clean it out. You'd be surprised how much weight can be contributed by this little thing and that little thing and the other little thing and and and. For instance, do you carry a bottle of lens cleaning fluid? If so, maybe you should leave that bottle behind in your car. Your moist breath and a microfiber cloth are pretty light.</p>

<p>I carry the heavy stuff when I need it, but usually no more than 2 lenses at any one time. Otherwise I carry a crop body and plastic kit lens -- or even better, just my little G11.</p>

<p>I'm going to try one of those neoprene straps. Thanks! :-)</p>

<p>Sarah, my wife carries a large purse. I tell her that junk expands to fill all space, and if she had a smaller purse she'd carry less junk.<br>

Besides the camera and no more than 3 lenses, I carry a Lens Pen, microfiber cloth, and sometimes an extra battery and/or Sunpak RD-2000 flash (about the size of an SB-400).</p>