How to make a frame like this?

It looks as though they added a black border in a different layer over the original photo and then selectively "painted" in

portions of the photo from the layer below. They selected the "leaf" brush and it looks like they had it on random scatter as

well as random size. Look in your brush tool presets and there are many options for altering how a brush operates.

Create a brush with the shape you want. This case it was a leaf. Create a layer mask on top of the photo and make sure it's set to black. Paint with white onto the layer mask. This one looks like she put a black layer behind the photo, create a rectangle mask first and erased the major portion and then used the brush on the fringes.

I'm not sure the leaves were brushed on; at least not all of them. It almost appears that a simple black frame was created.

Then, I'm not sure by what process, but the leaves that were in the picture under the frame were "punched" through. Also,

note that the tree roots show through the frame. There does seem to be some continuity with leaves just inside of the

frame and with the leaves on the frame, so I think at least some of the leaves on the frame were part of the original picture.

However, it does appear that a brush was used to cut some leave shapes out of the frame, revealing the underlying picture,

especially along the bottom and at the upper right.

John-

When you set up layers, you use the brush to expose the underlying layer. They had a brush that was shaped as a leaf

(look in brush styles) and using black in the top layer (rectangle border), painted on the areas that they wanted exposed

in the photo beneath. It's just basic layers, the only different technique here is using the leaf brush.

step1: New layer

step2: Use rectangle tool to select border in new layer

step3: Select inverse and fill with black

step4: add layer mask to this layer

step5: select leaf brush, choose size, amount of scatter, etc in brush tools menu

step6: with black selected, paint on in layer mask wherever you want exposed

step7: change to round brush to completely expose portions of photo (i.e. tree trunk)

Here is a sample I just did, using these steps, it took about 2 minutes! Good luck!

http://www.photo.net/photo/8076927