the first trip(it was distressingly easy to break off), while the

second one broke the first time I used it. I went through every

padlock at the Home Depot, and none would fit into that skinny little

hole that the Pelicans provide to run a lock through. Running out of

time (I was literally in the Home Depot up to a couple hours before

the flight), I just checked both boxes in without locks. Not

surprisingly, the smaller one, which has only two very flimsy

catches, opened up on the way out and dumped its contents. On the

way back, I taped it shut, but it came open again anyway.

So, a long sad story, but luckily nothing badly damaged, though some

Copal 3s took a pretty good beating. So what do those of you using

Pelican cases use to lock them with? They seem otherwise very

solidly built, but the "Pelilock" is junk and I haven't found

anything else yet to fit.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Nathan

Its not very elegant, but taping the latches down with some duct tape will keep them from coming open. Or you can drill the side of the latch and the clasp and place a small pin to lock the clasp down. I have one older Pelican that came this way (with 2 spring loaded pins that secured the clasps). The new latches are different but I think you can still install a small pin.

Natha: been there, done that. I have a Pelican 15xx and you are correct that the locking holes seem to have been an afterthought, what with beenin so small and having such difficult "geometry". I've found a relatively small (but not tiny) Masterlock that fits and seems quite robust. It has no model number I can find, but has a blue plastic cover on the body and the body is about 25mm x 25mm x 10mm. Attached is a jpg that might make it easier to recognize. I found it in a Walgreens drugstore in their little "hardware" section. It protrudes slightly after attachement so I put a piece of duct tape over it to keep it out of harms way. It (and the pelican) has been with me on numerous trips and has never let me down.<div>003sYg-9832484.jpg.85973f0303c16c75e5e10e7d654fdbe8.jpg</div>

Nathan I was able to find master locks at home depot which fit the holes in both my pelican cases. In addition to the locks I also got the big nylon ties and put them through each hole. Both cases arrived and made it through the Mexico City airport untouched.

BTW my hat off to you traveling with a 12x20, I thought traveling with my 4x5 was a pain in the arse, did not even contemplate bringing the 8x10 let alone the 12x20.....and here you are traveling half way around the world with the monster....you are either one of the most dedicated ULF photographers I have heard of, or you have gone completely off your rocker....:-)))

First Class! I wish! The 12X20 and I were back in Economy munching on Pringles and peanuts with the rest of the plebes. Everybody thinks it is a very elegant suitcase! The vertical 20X12 shots I did of the girls' circus in Geneva came out great, by the way. A more than adequate recompense for schlepping 70 lb of wood and glass half way to Timbuktu!

N

• 6 years later...

<p>For air travelling, you just need to do what TSA wants.<br>

However, if you want to lock your case safe, use TC123 TRIMAX Universal Coupler Lock. It has a 1/4 inch diameter, which fits the case and locks it safely. It was not intended for this purpose, but works great!<br>

Only two side notes: the shaft is too long, so you may want to adjust it yourself by working off the last two inches. Also, don't waste your money trying other couplers from Trimax for the same thing, they are either too short (7/8 inch) or way too long (2 1/2 +), without the option to adjust.<br>

I hope it helps!</p>