How to load an Adapt-A-Roll 620, and how do I know if the film counter needs lubrication?

bobpeters

How to load an Adapt-A-Roll 620, and how do I know if the film counter needs lubrication? I have an Adapt-A-Roll 620 that I'm having a hard time getting the film to stay tight on it. The instructions are kind of hard to understand, though I think I get that you have to bring the end of the backing paper to the end of the holder, then attach it to the spool. When I tighten it by hand, it loosens up when I let go of the spool, so the paper has a gentle "arc" over the pressure plate when the holder is open. Also how tight does the film have to be to work the counter reliably?

Go to www.graflex.org, read the Speed Graphic FAQ. I wrote the AAR 620 section.

If the cam and rod and ratchet mechanism doesn't move freely or the roller at the insertion end of the holder doesn't turn freely, lubricate with powdered graphite. Don't use oil.

I have a small pile of AAR 620s and use them in my 2x3 cameras. I put 120 film on a 120 spool in the feed position, take up on a 620 spool, rewind exposed film to the 120 spool before sending it to the lab.

I use dead rolls of film for testing the devices, rewind them for more testing. After a number of unwind-rewind cycles the film won't stay tight on the spool. New film shouldn't be a problem.

Go to www.graflex.org, read the Speed Graphic FAQ. I wrote the AAR 620 section.

If the cam and rod and ratchet mechanism doesn't move freely or the roller at the insertion end of the holder doesn't turn freely, lubricate with powdered graphite. Don't use oil.

I have a small pile of AAR 620s and use them in my 2x3 cameras. I put 120 film on a 120 spool in the feed position, take up on a 620 spool, rewind exposed film to the 120 spool before sending it to the lab.

I use dead rolls of film for testing the devices, rewind them for more testing. After a number of unwind-rewind cycles the film won't stay tight on the spool. New film shouldn't be a problem.

I read the FAQ and have the manual, which doesn't that say much more than what you said. When I did load it the counter didn't work at first, but started working when I went into the roll, like if the film was getting tighter as I was winding it. How much safety paper do you pull out when you load it? I pull out the about 8 inches of the safety paper, which is what it says in the manual, and the paper is loose on the counter roller, and not tight like is should be. Should the paper be on the top of the pressure plate, with a little roll at the end for the counter roller like in one of the pictures on this page: Restoring Speed Anniversary ?

Do you attach the end of the paper before or after installing the supply spool? In the manual the paper gets attached after the spool goes in, and I wish I had three hands, as it seems that you need three hands to install the spool while keeping the tongue of the backing paper from slipping back down.

Put the feed spool in the holder, using one finger to keep the film from unwinding.

Pull out enough backing paper to reach the end of the holder plus a little.

Completely withdraw the dark slide.

Push the end of the paper around the roller and slide it across the front of the holder. There's no pressure plate, the backing paper goes in the grooves at the top and bottom of the gate. You'll have to inch it.

Close the holder. If you prefer, you can close the holder before you start inching the paper through the gate.

Attach the backing paper to the take-up spool. This can be fiddly.

Re-insert the dark slide, leaving a small opening at the insertion end of the holder.

Advance the film until the tape holding the front end of the film strip to the backing paper is just visible.

Insert the dark slide completely.

Advance the film five (5) clicks of the film counter.

Set the film counter to "1".

Ready to go.

After taking an exposure, insert the dark slide completely and advance the film four (4) clicks of the frame counter. Ready for next shot.

Using this loading procedure will give nine shots per roll.

• Like 1

Put the feed spool in the holder, using one finger to keep the film from unwinding.

Pull out enough backing paper to reach the end of the holder plus a little.

Completely withdraw the dark slide.

Push the end of the paper around the roller and slide it across the front of the holder. There's no pressure plate, the backing paper goes in the grooves at the top and bottom of the gate. You'll have to inch it.

Close the holder. If you prefer, you can close the holder before you start inching the paper through the gate.

Attach the backing paper to the take-up spool. This can be fiddly.

Re-insert the dark slide, leaving a small opening at the insertion end of the holder.

Advance the film until the tape holding the front end of the film strip to the backing paper is just visible.

Insert the dark slide completely.

Advance the film five (5) clicks of the film counter.

Set the film counter to "1".

Ready to go.

After taking an exposure, insert the dark slide completely and advance the film four (4) clicks of the frame counter. Ready for next shot.

Using this loading procedure will give nine shots per roll.

Thanks, I'll try that next time I use it, and will print it out for future reference.