How to get that black glass floor effect?

james_black3

<p>I see many photos of models on black background where the foreground floor of the shot is so reflective it looks just like water. Is this some kind of plastic or mylar that is laid down on the floor, or is it linoleum? I'm sure they don't flood the studio floor with an inch of water, but it sure looks like it. Sometimes the effect is smooth and sometimes it is rippled like water. How is this done? I want to do it! Thanks.</p>

<p>Hello James,<br>

A less expensive alternative way to achieve the reflection would be to purchase acrylic sheeting from home depot and place it on top of your colored backdrop. ~$100<br>

<a href="http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202038053/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053">http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202038053/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053</a><br>

Some photographers might be post-processing their images in photoshop by duplicating their model, rotating her vertically and erasing out all but the fake reflection of the shoes. The next process would be to add a "ripple" filter. PS5 ~$1500 lol. (Personally, I think it's cheesy looking.)</p>

<p>I hope that helps. All the best,<br>

Taryn | www.tarynsaurusrox.com</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I've heard people using mirrors or a smoked plastic placed under the camera or lens (not sure which) and then taking the photo. It's suppose to create the look directly in camera without heavy photoshop work. One guy said he used that technique to take a photo of a car dealership and it turned out so well he approached them and they bought it from him.</p>