How to get prints that are as sharp as you see on the computer screen?

cc_chang2

<p>I have a D90 and after conversion by ViewNX, I saved all the JPEGs in iPhoto for viewing, organization, and printing. However, I found that although my pictures look very sharp on the computer screen (e.g., in iPhoto), when I print them out using the Canon MP600 printer or Shutter fly, the pictures just look a bit soft. I have to increase the sharpening to the degree that it clearly looks post-processed on screen to give sharper prints. Is this a common problem or am I doing something wrong? I am not making prints to get paid but still I am baffled by why the prints cannot match the sharpness I see on screen? Your help will be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>A monitor is not that sharp by printing standards - under 100 ppi. A print needs to be 200 to 300 ppi, at the print size, to be sharp.</p>

<p>Make sure you aren't downsizing the images when you convert them. The size, in pixels, should be the same as in the camera (you can ignore the nominal resolution and size in inches).</p>

<p>A lot of other things can affect the sharpness of the print - motion, camera shake and focus. It's normal to apply a little sharpening before printing, but not to the extent you can see halos around dark objects.</p>

<p>You'll typically have to do a different amount of sharpening for printing than you would for viewing onscreen. This is because the printing process will often slightly soften an image (I believe this is due to slight bleeding/spreading of the dots of ink, at least for inkjet printers). So, you need to compensate. The best way to figure out how much sharpening you need is by printing the same image with several levels of sharpening and then comparing the prints. Also note that you'll need a different level of sharpening depending on what size of print you're making.</p>

<p>If you look at the image on the computer screen at 100% (say the equivalent of a 1 by 1.5 <em>meter</em> print), it ain't all that sharp either.<br /> Print at 300ppi/dpi* (say, 24x36 <em>centimeters</em> ~ 9x14 inches) and if your printing setup is as it should be, the picture should look sharp if the focus etc. is sharp.</p>

<p>When you view a complete picture at apx. 17% size on the screen, a bottle-glass lens shot taken by someone with palsy would look sharp, or nearly so. :)</p>

<p>______<br>

*let the ppi-dpi question slide for this discussion. There's no point in rehashing a FDQ (frequently discussed question).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When you view a complete picture at apx. 17% size on the screen, a bottle-glass lens shot taken by someone with palsy would look sharp, or nearly so. :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This made me laugh coke through my nose.</p>

<p>All my sharpening decisions are subtle, but they are all made at 100% viewing, always.</p>