How to get permits for New Zealand's "Great Walks"

Discussion in 'Travel' started by muellerworld, Jun 14, 2003.

  1. In case anyone is thinking about heading to New Zealand to do any tramping (hiking) in the upcoming austral summer (November-March).
    This is just an EARLY reminder that in about 3 weeks time the Department of Conservation (DOC) will start accepting permit applications for those New Zealand walks that are categorized as "Great Walks". (Yes, you do have to plan 4-6 months ahead of time!)
    On TUESDAY, JULY 1 2003, you may apply for permits for the tracks listed below. While you can apply by sending in your request via mail, I have ALWAYS gotten the permits I wanted by calling the correct booking centre on opening day (starting on July 1st 2003, they will issue the permit instantly, take credit card details, and mail you the permit). You can also book on-line by following the link below.
    If you are interested in hiking any of these tracks over the peak times in the austral summer (especially around Christmas), you should try to get your permits shortly after this year's permit season opens on July 1st, 2003.
    These include:
    • Milford Track
    • Routeburn Track
    • Kepler Track
    • Rakiura Track (Stewart Island)
    • Heaphy Track
    • Abel Tasman Track
    • Whanganui River Journey
    • Tongariro Northern Circuit
    • Waikaremoana Track
  2. The permits are just for the huts/campsites, or would they even be needed for a day trip hike?

    (Hoping to go to New Zealand in December, thanks to Peter Jackson...)
  3. As far as I know, the "Great Walks" are just that, there is no day hiking on those trails.
    I am sure there are lots of trails other than these tramps. Goto the Department of Conservation for more info.

Share This Page