How to get kids to smile for the camera

justa_e

I fart, and they smile every time! (^U^)

Ok...I make faces, strange sounds (oh, we covered that!), and just the old routine of say: cheeze, pizza, hamburgers, etc.

Dolls and toys don't seem to do it.

I'm also using digital, so I just take many photos in rapid fire and hope for the best...not really good photographic form but it works.

With very young children and babies, have someone quickly wave a piece of cardboard in front of their face and you get a cute startle response.

With my 2.5 yo daughter, it can be a challenge because she quickly learns my strategies and starts ignoring them and the camera. That said, questions like "Hey, is your nose green?" have gotten me some warm, genuine sparkly smiles. But it is a constant challenge for this Daddy who, in his daughter's words, "takes too many pictures." And when she does tell me that, I take the hint and put away the camera.

If you're not in the portrait business, and can take your time, just catch them when they are smiling, as opposed to trying to get them to smile. If they're your kids, try taking them someplace different- new park or playground, something to distract them.

One challenge is to get kids to ignore the camera- get some good pictures when they just forget you're there and go on their way. Ang that works a lot better if you're not forever telling them to smile or look your way.

As with adults, it doesn't require a smile on a face to make a good shot- quite often just the opposite.

And if you ARE in the portrait business...can't help you, sorry!

I have seen many samples of children portraiture that is very formal, like with antiques chairs and tapestry backgrounds, posed perfectly.

I have no clue how they do it and I'm not really interested.

I want to take photos of children being children, and the way I do it is to play with them.

I'm a retired 5th grade school teacher so I guess I know a bit about kids.

I may take too many shots, but when children play, that's to be expected.

I am attaching a photo from last Monday of a young girl who loved playing around an old huge tree. I just kept shooting while she played.<div>00EByf-26501284.jpg.13f21bbab54ff722a1094f876c1cb3b8.jpg</div>

• 3 years later...
<p>Lot's of great ideas that make it fun to smile for the camera. Try a little toy birdie from "SmileForMeToys.com" and you can get some attention directed right above your lens. The lively bouncing action gets some great looks with the classic "watch the birdie" theme. </p><div>00SFYO-107075584.jpg.d5e9094e1377ef2fc04f19c7376905a1.jpg</div>