How to get CS2/4 on three computers

<p>At the moment I have CS2 design standard on my Mac G5 and a G4 laptop. I believe you can license this on only two machines at a time but I want to do two things and I just can't fathom how - can any one help please?<br>

1 - Upgrade to CS4 (this is no problem on my existing computers) BUT also<br>

2 - add the CS2 with the upgrade to a third machine, a new imac.<br>

I have read that you need to deactivate the CS on one machine first - but I need all three to work with the new CS4 upgrade (obviously without wanted to spend much more money on a new CS4 - which I could only use on two computers). <br>

Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks<br>

David</p>

<p>You can upgrade to CS4, then run either CS4 or CS2 on two computers. If you replace CS2 with CS4 on any machine, just deactivate there before installing it elsewhere. You can only do the CS4 upgrade on either or both of the computers currently licensed for CS2. After that, you can deactivate/move CS2 wherever you want.</p>

<p>Read <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/">Adobes Licensing agreement</a> - it states that CS4 software can be installed on two separate machines at once providing only one is in use at any one time, the previous version can also be used so long as it is installed on the <strong>same machine</strong> as the upgrade.<br>

So I would think what you are trying to do would contravene the licence agreement.</p>

<p>Good luck, David. There could be one glitch: If CS2 was an upgrade from an earlier version (like Photoshop 7), you'll need the installation disk from the earlier version to reinstall CS2 to a different machine. This is required to validate CS2 as an upgrade.......</p>

<p>Adobe CS2 is an activated product. Adobe will allow you to continue using previous versions when you install an update. However if you attempt to install an older version on a new computer, you will be required to activate that product, which will exceed the number of allowed activations. This is notwithstanding the fact that you intend to use more than computer simultaneously, in violation of the license agreement.</p>

<p>Feel free to consult with Adobe in this matter. They are reasonable and forthright, and it's possible you might get a variance. However it is likely you will need to purchase an additional license (which confers the right to install it on two computers, with usage restrictions).</p>

<p>install CS4 on the 2 machine that have CS2.</p>

<p>on those 2 machine DEACTIVATE CS2.</p>

<p>you now have in your hand 2 machine with CS4, and 2 CS2 free to be install where you need it. You dont need the installation disk of a prior version to reinstall CS2 on a new machine, just the serial number of this previous version would do.</p>

<p>BUT as Martin said, maybe that is not *legit*..but doable.</p>

<p>Based on your original posit, you need to purchase an additional license. Adobe can get very cranky over attempts to circumvent their licensing. If you have the intention of using this program as a professional, going down the circumvention road is a very bad business model.</p>

<p>Hmmm, food for thought. Thanks for the ideas....<br>

My latest thoughts are to keep the G5, sell the G4 powerbook and upgrade to a new MacBook pro with a large cinema display. Thus I have only two machine (for my 2 licenses) and can still have a laptop to work on abroad. <br>

Which prompts another question - do any of you use something like the MacBook with a sperate screen for pro (ie intensive hour after hour) PS work, without problems like overheating?<br>

Many thanks<br>

David</p>

<p>When I upgraded from CS2 to CS3, I installed CS3 in my desktop and laptop where CS2 resided.  I then deactivated CS2 and uninstalled it from both machines.  I then installed CS2 in my wife's desktop as an upgrade from PS7, and activated it with no problem.  If this is circumventing the licensing, Adobe certainly seems to be compliant with it.  I can't imagine that it would be any different with CS4.<br>

<br>

Also, when I reinstalled CS3 in my desktop after a crash, the installation wizard, not seeing CS2 resident, asked for the first CS2 disk to be loaded in the CD drive, and verified the upgrade status from there.</p>