How to get almost full frame FX with DX lenses....

liljuddakalilknyttphotogra

<p>OK I'm forwarding this information off DPR. A man in China has figured out how to get almost FX out of our DX lenses on the D3/D3x & the D700.<br>

It's rather simple actually...<br>

1, you need a DX lens which will take a Kenko 1.4x TC - (I've tried it with my PRO 300)<br>

2, you need to tell the FX camera to not automatically go into DX mode once it recognizes a DX lens.<br>

Just shoot...<br>

I've tried it with my D700, which arrived today.... I've tried it with my 18-200VR (which the VR still works with the TC) & with my 10,5 Fisheye as those are my only DX lenses.<br>

It works.<br>

You will not get 100% - but almost. My files are about 24MP as I don't like to use compression of any form (I know I'm silly on that - but that's how I am.....)<br>

I don't have any great shots of this. I've only been around the house. So if you feel like it - - try it out.</p>

<p>Lil :-)</p>

<p>"A man in China has figured out how to get almost FX out of our DX lenses"<br>

It's not rocket science, the teleconverter magnifies the image so it covers 1.4x the linear dimensions, 2x the area (providing there are no physical obstructions to cause vignetting).<br>

Your 10.5mm lens now becomes a 15mm, you lose 1 stop and probably some lens resolution which may be acceptable.<br>

...Wayne</p>

<p>Cheers Lil,</p>

<p>This might open up plenty of opportunities for those who own Fx bodies and have not for what ever reason swapped to a full array of FX lenses. Good observation - simple theory may be but you noused it out and had the notion to post the thread. I read the thread and was enlightened.</p>

<p>No stomping here, just some clapping of hands!</p>

<p>Thank you Lex, Jan-Michel & Matthew,<br>

I appreciate the support. It would not ever have entered my mind to try my Kenko 1.4x with either my 18-200VR nor my Fisheye. I thought it was neat that someone thought about trying it. I would not ever have.<br>

The thing is... This saves me thinking about buying a new Fisheye. I have the 10,5 & in between the D300 & this trick on the D700 I think I don't need to think about a 16mm Fisheye... Works for me. :-D<br>

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be happy with the result on the 18-200VR & the TC - but I'm willing to try to play with it until I decide if I need another walk-about lens.<br>

I thought it was neat enought to try the very day I got my D700 - - Glad a few others thought it might be of interest & use.</p>

<p>Dieter,<br>

yes AF still works & so does VR - - how about that. OK - you want so 5MP DX from the 18-200VR on the D700 & some with this method....<br>

OK - if I have time tomorrow I will - but it may be a few days. I'm going out shooting all weekend & I have to admit that the 18-200 VR is not one of the lenses I was planning to bring....<br>

I want to point out though that I think the 17-55 would be a better contender for this test - but I will do it for you. Please give me a few day.<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>Thanks Lil - take your time. My suspicion is that one would be better off without the converter. Like you, I think that probably the only lens this might work is the 17-55 (and maybe the 10.5) - but am afraid that the optical quality will suffer - probably too much. In addition, the 1.4x extension factor for the focal length puts one straight back into the same dilemma as encountered for the crop sensor DX cameras - wide isn't really wide and the 17-55/2.8 now will be a 24-77/4. I think it is great that Nikon offers the possibility to attach and use DX lenses on an FX camera (unlike Canon's EF-S) - but to exploit the real potential of the FX body I believe FX lenses are the only reasonable choice. <br>

I have been pondering the purchase of a D700 - and for the time being, have decided to hold off. I have the 18-35 FX lens that would work well with the D700 I assume - but I also have the 12-24 to reproduce the same focal length range on the D300 - I doubt that I would see a big difference for what I shoot. The high ISO capabilities of the D700 are still tempting - but at this time not sufficient for me to plunk down that much money. I have gotten used to the DX format - the only drawback is that there isn't a walk-around lens that I would be happy with. On paper, the 16-85 would be it - but the 5.6 at the long end is the deal breaker for me - I would have much prefered a 16-70/3.5-4.5 (or 16-85/3.5-4.5 - or even a fixed f/4). Currently, I find myself switching between the 12-24 and the 24-85 a lot - or more recently, carry the 18-35 as the walk-around lens.</p>

<p>To my mind, the offered solution is artificial. My only DX lens is the 12-24. It fills the FX image circle from appr. 18mm onwards. That is almost the same as with a 1.4x converter added, but then WITHOUT loss of image quality because of the converter. Yes, the zoom range ends at 24 anyway (instead of 24 x 1.4), but 'the DX problem' is a wide angle problem anyway, in my view.. That is why my only DX lens is this one.</p>

<p>Dieter,<br>

I'm fairly sure you're right. Also, my opinion is that if I have the money for the D700 I either have the FX lenses which are new or I can pick up the older ones off eBay. But in a pinch.... Who knows....<br>

I will try to find something worth shooting with the Fisheye & the 18-200VR & try to take a few shots for you.<br>

Last time I tried to try a lens I got screamed at. :-(</p>

<p>Albin,<br>

sure it is - just as it's a compromise. But no one is going to make you try it. I will test it. But the probability that I will use it is rather small. I have my D300 - they're better used on it.</p>

<p>Hi Carl,<br>

thank you & it's just a thought to try. I'm running errands today so hopefully I'll get a chance to play with it then.</p>

<p>Hi Walt,<br>

you're probably right.</p>

<p>Lil, it isn't like other people haven't figured this out, but none of the DX lenses is designed to be used with even a 1.4x TC. Doing so will totally messed up the optical quality of the combo, which defeats the purpose for getting into FX to being with.<br>

If you must use a DX lens on an FX body, you are much better off engaging the DX crop mode.</p>

<p>I've been trying DX lenses on film cameras and in general it appears that you can always get away with using the lens at at least 1.5x the minimum zoom (the DX multiplier is 1.5 and they've made it use as little glass as they could get away with so this actually makes perfect sense when you think about it and maybe draw a cross section). So the 18-55 or 18-70 zooms vignette out the corners at below 27mm, etc.</p>

<p>Or just turn on crop, it's not like you don't have enough pixels.</p>