How to get a legal old version of Photoshop

So I understand the OEM versions of Photoshop 6 are not legal.

Evidently, Adobe never made an OEM version? Anyway, I can't see

paying $600 for Photoshop CS just so that I can apply ICC profiles to

my scans. So how can I get a legal version of Photoshop 6 or 7?

Ebay does not seem to be a safe option. Are there any retailers that

sell old, unused software?

I have a **really** good suggestion. Go to http://www.adobe.com. Find the forum for Adobe Photoshop. Read about what the moderators -- some of whom are Adobe employees -- say about whats legal and what's not. I'm saying that because the last time I looked the consensus was that there may have been some legal OEM versions of PS. And the last time I looked here there was someone claiming that you could upgrade from LE (which *is not* true).

I bought PS 4 on ebay, from the registered owner. He transferred the license to me, and then I upgraded it to PS7. Now I can upgrade that to CS.

At the time, there were a number of sellers on ebay offering deals like this. They tended to shop around for auctions when companies went out of business, etc. or departments got closed, and buy up the licences for exactly this purpose. If they're still doing it, it's a good cheap legal way to get a full PS licence.

Just make sure the seller can transfer the registration to you. Adobe has a form you can download for this purpose.

The back of the 4.0 LE CD says 'upgrade to the full version of Photoshop 4.0' at a special

price!'.

I guess this means it's like the current upgrades from Elements to CS - you get the full

version at a discount if you can provide a serial number of Elements/LE.

Whether Adobe still honour an LE upgrade, however, I doubt.

I recently discussed this with Adobe since I required another copy of an older version of Acrobat which was not available by any traditional means. They understood I already had the media and what I needed was another license to not be a software pirate.

It seems many purchasers never register the product, just install it and then sell the CD. You buy, you register it and you have the legit copy. All they have is a bootleg copy.

I bought a copy on the auction site and registered it. No problems. I did pay more to buy from a regular dealer and not some individual.

I spoke to Adobe about this and they confirmed that ANY version, including something like

Photoshop 5.0 LE is elegible for the upgrade price. Since that version was bundled with a

ton of periperals such as scanners, it is reasonable to assume that a bunch of unregistered

copies are sitting around in bottom drawers and closets. Elements does not qualify.

Tom, it is the same as any other upgrade price. They only have two prices -- upgrade and

full. Go to the Adobe web site and find their price -- other online retailers may be slightly

less, but not much.

One important point -- Adobe allows you to upgrade from even something like Photoshop

5.0LE to either the full Creative Suite or just to Photoshop CS.

LE is Limited Edition isn't it...

Straight from Adobe.com....

Adobe Photoshop CS Upgrade

To install upgrade successfully, you will need a licensed version of Photoshop 7.0 or earlier on the same platform as this purchase.

NOTE:Upgrade does not apply to Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album, Photoshop Limited Edition, or PhotoDeluxe licensed users.

A little clarificatin is in order.

1) OEM (I think you mean bundle) version are perfectly legal to use and upgrade they just

can't be resold.

2) You must have a full version of Photoshop to use the commercial upgrade as per thier

website, http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catPhotoshopUpgrade .

For a while Adobe was requiring PS 5.5 or newer but it is no longer mentioned on thier site

as such.

3) The only reseason I suggested unregistered version on eBay is that it is less of a hassle

then getting a liscense transfer (which is only $25 U.S.)

3) Photoshop Elements, Photoshop LE and PhotoDeluxe are upgradeable but the upgrade

price is (or at least it WAS unless Adobe has raised it) $399 for Elements (some scanners

include a 90 days discounted price of $299), $499 for Photoshop LE and PhotoDeluxe.

Regards,

Will

Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop

A little clarificatin is in order.

1) OEM (I think you mean bundle) version are perfectly legal to use and upgrade they just

can't be resold.

2) You must have a full version of Photoshop to use the commercial upgrade as per thier

website, http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catPhotoshopUpgrade .

For a while Adobe was requiring PS 5.5 or newer but it is no longer mentioned on thier site

as such. You may need to call Adobe on this.

3) The only reseason I suggested unregistered version on eBay is that it is less of a hassle

then getting a liscense transfer (which is only $25 U.S.)

3) Photoshop Elements, Photoshop LE and PhotoDeluxe are upgradeable but the upgrade

price is (or at least it WAS unless Adobe has raised it) $399 for Elements (some scanners

include a 90 days discounted price of $299), $499 for Photoshop LE and PhotoDeluxe.

Regards,

Will

Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop