how to flatten old films kept wrapped?

diegobuono

Hi all, a friend of mine discovered a bunch of old (30 – 40 years old) negative (most B&W, some color) in a cardboard box. The films

seems to be 127 format. The B&W negative have been stored rolled even if cutted in streeps of different length (the shortest are 2

photograms, the longest are very long, probably all the original roll).In a limited number of case the films have been cut in single

photograms but, kept wrapped in the above mentioned roll, thei are curled too. On the films there are pictures of his parents, relatives

and her when was a child so she want to save and have it scanned for easy viewing, but I suppose it is not an easy task now due to

heavy curled film (and anyway it is better, for the future, to store it cut in strips and keep it in sleeves). Which is the best way to flatten

those films? Due the environment in which they have been stored (the cardboard box that contain the films was stored in a basement) in

some cases the films show fungus do you recommend to wash it? If washing is necessary she must ask to a professional lab but the

complete job could be quite expensive so if there is a way to flatten the film (may be wrap it the contrary?) without washing this could be

a good starting point to save it, at least it allow to scan the whole bunch.

Diego

<p>I have many of my old (back to sixth grade) 35mm negatives, which were rolled and now in the usual seven strip pages. They slowly flatten out. I sometimes put a weight on top of the three ring binder holding them.<br>

<br />I have one roll that was more tightly wound, which is now hanging with two film clips on the bottom. Should be flat enough pretty soon.</p>

-- glen

• 3 weeks later...